Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeing your bullets

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I won't go into the details (not relevant to anyone but me), but I altered how I look at the sites today, and for the first time ever, I was able to watch all of my bullets fly down range. .40 and .45, both were clearly visible, and when I missed the target (steel plate today), I could see exactly how much I missed by. I was shooting at 25 yards or so, at about a sec. a shot. Before anyone says I shouldn't be looking down range, I only missed a couple of times out of the 100 or so rounds I fired, so I do understand how to make hits on steel. Anyway, it was a pretty interesting experience, though I'm not sure how it really matters.
    Funny how you can see a tiny projectile traveling downrange at 850+ FPS and you don't have the ability to see a 200 lb man sitting at a table directly in front of you...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Funny how you can see a tiny projectile traveling downrange at 850+ FPS and you don't have the ability to see a 200 lb man sitting at a table directly in front of you...

Well, to be fair, I saw the 200# man, he didn't look like he was going to try and eat my food, so I ignored him;-) He wouldn't stop interrupting though, so I finally had to pay more attention:-)

With a good light and using neck index I can see every single bullet I launch from my G17 when we do night shoots or I am doing a demo for a class at my other pseudo job.

We shoot the Lawman for practice, CCI FMJ bullets are the Unicore type, they have a very shiny copper base unlike many other FMJ bullets, they really shine with a light behind them.

I have seen bullets from .45s, .38s and a .30 Carbine.

Most were late in the afternoon with the sun low and behind me. The first I noticed were Blazer .45s that were loaded with very shiny 230 grain bullet that was copper colored and shiny.
    The .38s were handloads that were too lightly loaded. They looked like a round blur in the air and keyholed in the target.
    The .30 Carbine loads were lead bullet reloads. Probably the fastest of all the loads shot but still visible in low light.

I picked up the .45s about three feet from the muzzle and could follow them all the way to the target, a large steel bowling pin at 25 yards.

Shot highpower matches but never could see the trace other shooters talked about.

I had the pleasure of attending the advanced sniper course at Blackwater a few years ago, and one of the many highlights of the trip was the 1,200 yard range. It is incredibly fun watching .308's fly an insane arc for all of that distance and then collide with a 12x18 gong. Then a few seconds later you get to hear it.

I've only ever seen a very few pistol rounds though.

Agree with all that's been said.

Like others, I see bullets in flight regularly, but not every time, both as the shooter behind the gun and as an observer from the side when someone else is shooting, and I tend to see them either in nice bright sunlight, bright indoor range lights, or when using a flashlight, and the slower the bullet or longer the distance, the easier it seems to be to see it.

Definitely one of the coolest things to see, and not just imagine, the exact real trajectory of the bullet.

The only time I ever saw bullets in flight was during an IDPA classifier I was running on my own or during an IDPA match, both times it screwed me up a bit. Derp, shiny, yeaaahh. Anyway, the angle of the sun was just right, etc.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Was ROing a night shoot a week ago. Just off the shooter's right shoulder. Watched a 45 go down range, hit a Pepper Popper at 40', and come directly back and hit me in the throat. Another observer at a completely different angle watched it too.
    Thinking/Observing: Good hit, thatbullet'scomingrightbac........crap that hurt! Left a mark.....

Just put 230 rounds of .45 downrange. Sun was high, noon to 1pm or so. I could see some of the rounds, not others, and not for the whole flight, just towards the end (25 yard shooting). It is very dry out here, I wonder if that helps at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Just put 230 rounds of .45 downrange.
    Quite symbolic!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List