Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great info from Karl Rehn

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Except how many have the ability to shoot 60 yards at a range with a pistol? I am not knocking the measure but also not playing the superior dance on people for not having the opportunity to practice long distance shooting.

Edit: I agree completely on the holster issue.
    How would I know? I've never found it hard to find places to shoot a pistol at 100 yards, so I suppose it all depends on how hard you want to try. No superior dance going on here, I just have limited tolerance for lack of ability masked by excuses.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Why did he keep saying "on it" at random times?

Many of the things mentioned, like holsters, sights and zeroes can be learned over the internet, or with simple instruction. The thing that can’t be bought, or fully learned through instruction, is what I believe is the single most important skill in shooting, regardless of whether you are a defensive or competitive shooter, and that is trigger control. Trigger control only comes from doing the work. As you develop trigger control, you extend the distances you shoot, shrink the target sizes, and increase the speed you shoot difficult targets at.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I was part of the March 3 class that Karl referenced in his blog post. I was impressed with the professionalism Karl and his instructors showed in that circumstance - no fussing at the student, just "Okay, try aiming here...not working, try aiming here..." while I was thinking "Why the <bleep> did you put out the time and expense to do this class without making sure your gun hits where you're aiming?". It was a lesson learned for those folks.

If you have a chance to train with Karl, do it. He's near Austin but is taking it to the road this year as well.

@Tom Givens, looking forward to training with you at Karl's place this fall!
    Last edited by revchuck38; 03-08-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    I routinely shoot out to 100 yards with a very stock G-19 daily carry gun. It's not hard to do if you don't tell yourself you can't do it!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I routinely shoot out to 100 yards with a very stock G-19 daily carry gun. It's not hard to do if you don't tell yourself you can't do it!
    Hey Wayne could you go into any observations you have with your students using RDS in your classes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    In ancient times when Dinos roamed we would go to an open shooting area in Cali and shoot at boulders about 200 yards away with big hogleg revolvers. Not accurate but very fun! If you have the capacity distance shooting can be quite fun, at least until nature decides distance shooting is no longer for you. "is that the target?" "Nope its a mountain."

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was part of the March 3 class that Karl referenced in his blog post. I was impressed with the professionalism Karl and his instructors showed in that circumstance - no fussing at the student, just "Okay, try aiming here...not working, try aiming here..." while I was thinking "Why the <bleep> did you put out the time and expense to do this class without making sure your gun hits where you're aiming?". It was a lesson learned for those folks.

If you have a chance to train with Karl, do it. He's near Austin but is taking it to the road this year as well.

@Tom Givens, looking forward to training with you at Karl's place this fall!
    Its a very nice setup. They usually have a head instructor with multiple assistants helping everyone out. Its really great, especially for beginners. They treat everyone calmly and friendly. Really good if you are a bit of a skittish beginner.
    Plus they are strategically located in driving distance of several very excellent BBQ joints. Precious cargo!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Its a very nice setup. They usually have a head instructor with multiple assistants helping everyone out. Its really great, especially for beginners. They treat everyone calmly and friendly. Really good if you are a bit of a skittish beginner.
    Plus they are strategically located in driving distance of several very excellent BBQ joints. Precious cargo!
    Wait, BBQ joints? Nobody told me about that!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Wait, BBQ joints? Nobody told me about that!
    It's Texas, goes without saying.

User Tag List