Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great info from Karl Rehn

Site Supporter

Great info from Karl Rehn

http://blog.krtraining.com/notes-fro...sons-feb-2018/

Here is some commentary from Karl on his observations from a number of recent classes. His experience mirrors my own observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    http://blog.krtraining.com/notes-fro...sons-feb-2018/

Here is some commentary from Karl on his observations from a number of recent classes. His experience mirrors my own observations.
    I do not really understand the point on the 25 yards to 60 yard discussion. I would proffer few people shoot it well because few people ever have the opportunity to shoot handguns that distance. I certainly don't.

Interesting post. On one hand, I am struck by how poorly most gun owners shoot. On the other hand, I am seeing highly motivated competitive shooters using dry fire, live fire, expert instruction, frequent competition, and video analysis to technically shoot at an incredibly high level, literally light years ahead of most others.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting post. On one hand, I am struck by how poorly most gun owners shoot. On the other hand, I am seeing highly motivated competitive shooters using dry fire, live fire, expert instruction, frequent competition, and video analysis to technically shoot at an incredibly high level, literally light years ahead of most others.
    Just about anyone can own a gun, but that doesn't mean they have any interest in being a steely eyed gun Jedi. Just about anyone can own a car, but that doesn't mean they have any interest in driving the Indy 500. Ownership of a tool doesn't automatically correlate to the desire to excel with that tool. How many of those gamers do so out of a need to compete for admiration rather than the desire to defend themselves? How many are reviewing those vids because they're looking for tactical lessons and how many are doing so in order to shave a few hundredths of a second off their split times? Most I've associated with are in the trophy camp. Tom's talking apples and you're thinking oranges. The reality is that people engage in all kinds of activities without really thinking them through. Gun owners are no exception.

On the other hand, if you're saying you can't believe the amount of time some people spend trying for a stupid trophy, while comparing that to the amount of time most gun owners don't spend on learning how to defend themselves and how ridiculous that is, then in that case I'm right there with you.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I do not really understand the point on the 25 yards to 60 yard discussion. I would proffer few people shoot it well because few people ever have the opportunity to shoot handguns that distance. I certainly don't.
    Most people I know don't shoot past seven yards, that doesn't mean that's advisable. At the very least, with a basic level of proficiency one should be able to place their shots accurately within a reasonable amount of time, from at least twenty five yards. One's tool box should be filled with tools instead of excuses.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-07-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Just about anyone can own a gun, but that doesn't mean they have any interest in being a steely eyed gun Jedi. Just about anyone can own a car, but that doesn't mean they have any interest in driving the Indy 500.
    If I could afford a performance car you bet your ass I'd want to learn to race it around Road America. Some folks are work obsessed, I choose being poor and having cool hobbies
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If I could afford a performance car you bet your ass I'd want to learn to race it around Road America. Some folks are work obsessed, I choose being poor and having cool hobbies
    I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Totally agree on holsters, but my experience with long distance accuracy, especially with USPSA guys, has been different. Around here people build stages with mini-poppers past 15 all the time, and B shooters and above drop them like no big deal. My second to last match there was a 50 yards target, ever so slightly obscured by a light snowfall . Some chose to run up, most went after that target from 50 without much deliberation. Again, squad of B class dudes, mostly iron sights, A/C hits across the board.

Site Supporter
    Yep. Not everyone is limited to short ranges. i did some 50 yard work earlier this week on the outdoor range. It's comforting to know what you and your equipment can do if called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Most people I know don't shoot past seven yards, that doesn't mean that's advisable. At the very least, with a basic level of proficiency one should be able to place their shots accurately within a reasonable amount of time, from at least twenty five yards. One's tool box should be filled with tools instead of excuses.
    Except how many have the ability to shoot 60 yards at a range with a pistol? I am not knocking the measure but also not playing the superior dance on people for not having the opportunity to practice long distance shooting.

Edit: I agree completely on the holster issue.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 03-07-2018 at 11:16 PM.

User Tag List