Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Info On Used Leverguns

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Appreciate all the info guys. Got my eye on a few 94s. Pre ‘64s, decent shape. Seems like a good place to start. I’ll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    On the Winchesters, stay away from the Post-64 models.

Here’s a useful resource for manufacture date based on S/N:

http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchestermodel94.htm

The current models from Japan with the tang safety are the exception. These are very nice.
    Every Winchester I have is a post 64 model. If only my Dad knew in 1972 that Model 94 was a piece of crap. For that matter, if I had known that Model 94AE I bought with about 1500 rounds through it so far was going to just fall apart...

Don't buy into the hype that post 64 Winchesters are junk. That's just...hype.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 03-09-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Every Winchester I have is a post 64 model. If only my Dad knew in 1972 that Model 94 was a piece of crap. For that matter, if I had known that Model 94AE I bought with about 1500 rounds through it so far was going to just fall apart...

Don't buy into the hype that post 64 Winchesters are junk. That's just...hype.
    Ayuh. To be fair, there were some "fit and finish" compromises made, but I've never seen one that didn't function. The particularly egregious ones were the ones where the finish flaked off the receiver, because they changed the type of metal. A buddy of mine got one of those super cheap and it ran like a top.

The internet is never going to forgive Winchester for 1964, but they made good guns. Likewise, the internet is never going to forgive Marlin for that period in 2009 or so when they cranked out some real crap. The new Marlin's I've seen lately have been fine. You can nit pick fit and finish things, but I can nit pick fit and finish things on "JM" Marlins too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Ayuh. To be fair, there were some "fit and finish" compromises made, but I've never seen one that didn't function. The particularly egregious ones were the ones where the finish flaked off the receiver, because they changed the type of metal. A buddy of mine got one of those super cheap and it ran like a top.

The internet is never going to forgive Winchester for 1964, but they made good guns. Likewise, the internet is never going to forgive Marlin for that period in 2009 or so when they cranked out some real crap. The new Marlin's I've seen lately have been fine. You can nit pick fit and finish things, but I can nit pick fit and finish things on "JM" Marlins too.
    To be fair, people have been dumping on Winchester for their post 1964 guns since 1965...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Well, picked up a ‘53 Model 94 in 30-30. A used but not abused saddle scabbard to boot...
    So it begins. I’ll post some pics when it arrivies.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Well, picked up a ‘53 Model 94 in 30-30. A used but not abused saddle scabbard to boot...
    So it begins. I’ll post some pics when it arrivies.
    I think youll like it. I dont recall when they started drilling and tapping for a receiver sight, its early 50s though I believe. Hopefully yours is.

If you reload, you can make all sorts of fun loads. From round ball loads that approximate 22 LR in sound and kill better than the 22, to 32-20 level cast or jacketed loads, to 110 gr JHP loads that are pretty wicked on small to medium game, to the regular loads. A suggestion, if you ever shoot a skunk with it, dont be too close, the results can be spectacular.

Thanks all. I appreciate the guidance in my first purchase. Yep, its tapped, so the next hunt will be for a period-era receiver sight. Need to get some dies...and some cases...and...lol

Sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing pics.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thanks all. I appreciate the guidance in my first purchase. Yep, its tapped, so the next hunt will be for a period-era receiver sight. Need to get some dies...and some cases...and...lol
    I found this mentioned on another site. Apparently, lots of older rifles used a standardized "1/2 inch" dovetail to mount a rear sight on the barrel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-...p2047675.l2557

Allegedly, that part will work on a Marlin lever gun. It's a windage and elevation adjustable peep sight, and very, very "period-era." The ones that have sold since I've been watching them have been in the $60-70 range shipped. The one linked above is a little expensive, but very clean and pretty.

For my 1894, I'm piecing together a non-standard combination of Williams parts to get a fiber optic ghost-ring setup (worked out from OCD reading at the same time I learned about the part above), similar to the Beretta 1301, but using the Marlin barrel dovetails. I'll post up once I confirm everything works. Parts are sitting on my bench waiting for life to stop getting in the way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Nice. I will undoubtedly need something as my mid-50s eyeballs more than likely won’t interface well with the mid-50s buckhorn sights. I look forward to seeing your idea. My vision for this is a “burned out on ARs” utility rifle. Something different. Something enjoyable to shoot. Something older with a bit of character. I’m still travelling and on the road, so it will be Friday before I even get the funds and paperwork on its way.

User Tag List