Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Info On Used Leverguns

Well that was weird. i tried to edit the post above, it didnt seem to change where I put it, so did it again, now see it got garbled up somehow. Is there a way to fix it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I thought tang sights were cool, until I had one. It lasted about 20 minutes after getting the gun in hand. Disliked it greatly. My thumb thinks its supposed to be right where the tang sight sits. If one wants to hang their thumb off the side, by all means do so. I dont like it much. Sort of muddles up the overall handling to me.
    I installed a Marbles tang sight on one of my Marlins. It wasn't long before I removed it and installed a ghost ring sight on the receiver.
    Last edited by Robinson; 03-20-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    A tang style sight is a non-starter for me too. Once I get it in my hands, I’ll look into a Skinner or more traditional Lyman more than likely. I have a few Skinner style sights on surplus Mausers that worked great. Or...at least they did 15 years ago when my eyeballs were younger. I’ll pull one of those for a range trip and see if theyre still effective or just blurry.

Site Supporter
    If you're not using it for silhouette completion or some other venture where you're constantly adjusting the elevation a receiver sight is more rugged and doesn't get in the way of your thumb.
    Adam

Well the mailman arrived today with a long box. Always a nice thing. A good cleaning and basic lube and it’s ready to go. I’ll pick up a few boxes of factory and some additional brass to load. Phone pic on the bench. Something more appropriate when I get the chance.Attachment 24689

If you were going to buy new brass, do the math first. I wanted a bit more 30-30 brass, but when I saw it was selling for around $15/box at walmart, it was cheaper, or as cheap to buy loaded ammo as new brass, bullets, powder, and primers. Ive seen it as low as $12 or $13-something/box semi recently.

Looks like youre on the right track with your carbine. If you decide to put a sling on it and dont warm up the the band around the magazine tube type attachments, let me know and I'll tell you how to install a stud in the fore end band that wont come out. Just tapping the band only gives about 2 threads to hold it max.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-23-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Copy on the brass. Yep, stopped in a Sheels and picked up 3 boxes of factoy. That will give me the ability to see if it favors a certain bullet weight, give it a basic sight in, shoot it across the LabRadar...and give me some brass for my reloads. I’m not much of a “sling guy”. Much rather carry or strap on a pack if necessary. Picked up a few lead sinkers to slug the bore as well.

Finally got it out for a spin today. Against my (later) better judgement, I gave the bore a cleaning with PatchOut and Accellerator. I’ve used this before on precision rifles, and they usually require a few foulers to find their happy place again. It was no different here. I started prone at 50yds (Hey...open sights. I’m 55 and know my limits!) using some 150gr Winchester loads. After a few whacky impacts that scared the snot out of me, it settled in about 3” or so high. Adjusted the sights to the first ladder, put the bead all the way in the bottom of the notch (best I could tell) and moved them down another inch or so. Next up were the 170s. Winchester loads as well. These printed lower and made nicer groups. About 1.75” or so. Good enough. Moved the sight up a notch in the ladder and proceeded to ding my 6” steel plate I have set up at 100yds out back. Boringly consistant, even with fuzzy sights. I wish I was younger...they really look like they’d be fun!

Next step is to order up some 170gr cast from Montana Bullets and see if it likes old skool. I hope so. Also might look into a receiver sight. First lever gun. What a hoot. Great woods rifle too. I think I have a good companion for the .44spl GP100 when I go out, cut wood, gather maple sap, and do other manly chores.

Attachment 24910
    Last edited by entropy; 03-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.

User Tag List