Thread: Weapons training HS teachers/staff

Weapons training HS teachers/staff

This idea seems to be gaining steam in FL and other places. This got me thinking; what would a good training program for a armed teacher/staff look like? IMO this position would have some necessary differences from other armed protection duties. There would similarities of course but certainly some unique qualities.

One such quality would be, assuming only a scant few would be armed, the ability to run a significant distance and then make an accurate shot/s. Many schools occupy a large area so distances that would have to be covered could be up to and including 250 meters.

BTW I am a HS coach/educator with more than a passing interest in self defense/shooting sports.

For starters, I think that MAG40+Law of Self Defense+Combative Pistol - Rangemaster would be a pretty good grounding.

Probably impractical to set up those specific classes, although Andrew Branca (@Law of Self Defense) does have online classes available, and his classes are tailored to the laws of the state.
    @Mas and @Tom Givens both offer instructor certification training.

Consider adding a trauma medical course.

We are getting enough of these threads that it might be worthwhile consolidating them, or setting aside sub-forum for them.

One common thread (heh) I see in them is a desire to ensure high standards of ability. I am concerned that the standards get set so high that no one qualifies. (This is my concern with training and qualification standards for general carry, as well.)

If I were to be called upon to design a training/certification/qualification program for this sort of thing, I would be leery of setting the bar too high, i.e. "Run 250 meters and make accurate shots". I am thinking of three high school teachers I had who had severe physical limitations due to time spent as "Guests of the Emperor" (2) and "Guest of the Reich" (1), and I am not certain they could have run 250 meters at all, but I am equally certain that if armed and called upon to do so, they could and would have been able to defend their students.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    The Texas School Marshal program is a model for this sort of thing.

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/school-marshals

The sole purpose of a School Marshal is to prevent the act of murder or serious bodily injury on school premises, and act only as defined by the written regulations adopted by the School Board/Governing Body.

After making application with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, a qualifying institution must send the candidate to an 80 hour training course, conducted by a law enforcement academy that has been specifically prepared to provide the school marshal curriculum. Among the topics covered in the School Marshal course are: physical security, improving the security of the campus, use of force, active shooter response, and weapon proficiency. No other course can be substituted or exempt an individual from the specific school marshal training course.
    https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/de...20brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Sounds like they're off to a good start, of course it is Texas.. Of all the states I've called home over the years Texas is the one I would gladly go back to.

But to Drang's point, I understand what you mean. The standards shouldn't be so high as to disqualify all but the most highly trained warriors. These are teachers/administrators first. But it must be understood by anyone who volunteers that this is not a ceremonial/pension padding position. We saw that in the sheriffs dept. here in So. FL. It should be, at the end of the day, something to be proud of and indicate a high degree of proficiency.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Sounds like they're off to a good start, of course it is Texas.. Of all the states I've called home over the years Texas is the one I would gladly go back to.

But to Drang's point, I understand what you mean. The standards shouldn't be so high as to disqualify all but the most highly trained warriors. These are teachers/administrators first. But it must be understood by anyone who volunteers that this is not a ceremonial/pension padding position. We saw that in the sheriffs dept. here in So. FL. It should be, at the end of the day, something to be proud of and indicate a high degree of proficiency.
    From what Little I’ve seen of it, the SM 80 hour training is similar to that given in basic police academies. Firearms, UOF law narrowly tailored to the SM mission and tactics reinforced with scenario based training using simmunitions.

Site Supporter
    Here's a blurb: https://www.saddleriverrange.com/tra...y-kr-training/

Karl is a good guy.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm loathe to refer people to Panteao, but I think Paul Howe's Citizen Response to Active Shooter course makes for a solid foundation of material. It covers individual CQB, barricades, medical, linking with first responders, and several other topics.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Chance
    FYI-Any Panteao issues were those of the admin/owner of Panteao as it is a matter of public record that said owner was a convicted felon. Howe is no longer associated with Panteao as he was not paid.

One would not know that from your posting without clicking the link or having some prior context. On its face your post could be read to seem that you do not recommend Panteao, but associated instructor Paul Howe is so good that you are going to make the rec. anyway.

Bottom Line-Paul Howe is a Gentleman and GTG on anything he teaches.

YMMV Greatly.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    On its face your post could be read to seem that you do not recommend Panteao, but associated instructor Paul Howe is so good that you are going to make the rec. anyway.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at, dude. No, I don't recommend Panteao, but Paul Howe, Pat Rogers, and many other greats don't have their thoughts on training recorded - in their own words, and in their own voices - anywhere else.

It is extraordinarily unfortunate that the only way to access this knowledge is via lining the pockets of a criminal douchebag. But if that knowledge is going to make good people better prepared to deal with the evils of the world, then I say so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Bottom Line-Paul Howe is a Gentleman and GTG on anything he teaches.
    If anyone somehow managed to interpret what I wrote as an indictment of Paul, let me be clear: he is easily amongst the best trainers ever, and he's accessible to civilians. Everyone should jump on any opportunity to train with him personally, because he keeps threatening to retire.

/thread-hijack
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List