Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: There are people who don't carry a gun and live.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Most of the really dangerous violent encounters I've survived were in places I couldn't arm myself with a gun--or at all. Knife attack in Paris, shot at in China, dog pack attack in Tibet, etc. Other times, when I had a gun and bad shit happened (home invasion, bear attack, dog attack), I resolved the situation much more quickly, with less risk to myself and family, and thankfully no one got hurt. Given the choice, I'll be armed.
    Let us know when your memoirs are coming out.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

In medicine there is a wise saying: the pessimist outlives the optimist. Those people who are always suspicious and questioning usually gets a disease diagnosed before it can be life threatening. Reminds me of that Stallone movie "Cobra"...some quote about diseases and cures...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Here’s the dog pack in Tibet story:

Flashlight Stories
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Beat me to it!

There was a thread on WarriorTalk a while back that touched on this topic. I can't remember who made the post, but the people who never carry were described as "living in the ' before.'" The post I think I remember was a very articulate description of this condition. This characterization overlaid nicely with "Left of Bang." Some people never have a bang on their personal timeline and live happily ever after in "the before." Others have to learn the hard way.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    All those people should buy our drinks for being the deterrent that keeps the bad guys guessing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Maybe it's the brewskis I had at dinner tonight, but I sort of feel like getting this off my chest:

This fact that many people get away with going unarmed their entire lives?

Yeah... that...

That's sort of why I have, once in a blue moon, gotten away with--or at least felt and acted upon the idea of--carrying a single action revolver. Sometimes.

Like, even in urban environments, with people around, and shit.

I know, killed in da streetz; 2018 not 1918, etc.

So sue me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Maybe it's the brewskis I had at dinner tonight, but I sort of feel like getting this off my chest:

This fact that many people get away with going unarmed their entire lives?

Yeah... that...

That's sort of why I have, once in a blue moon, gotten away with--or at least felt and acted upon the idea of--carrying a single action revolver. Sometimes.

Like, even in urban environments, with people around, and shit.

I know, killed in da streetz; 2018 not 1918, etc.

So sue me.
    You're not really living unless you're living dangerously.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“Woman and children can afford to be careless, men can not"-Don Corleone”
    ― Mario Puzo, The Godfather

That's the central theme of the whole book/movie to me.

In the modern world, I would update Don Corleone's comment to "Children can afford to be careless, real men and women can not."

I was getting fired up for a comparison of daily carry to defensive driving techniques re. always giving you options to escape but it's getting late and I need to get out to the range early to sight in my new scope (curse you CS Tactical, you enablers).

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    There are those who can't or won't walk to the mailbox without spare mags and a bug.
    An ex-sister-in-law did the Mexico to Canada hike last spring. Crossing over a few mountain chains she would buy a bear spray canister, but she was always in a hurry to ditch it when she perceived she was out of bear country as it made her "feel nervous." She was so attached to her preconceived reality she didn't want to accept the existence of a threat from a wild animal -much less another human. She hiked with friends at times and sometimes they would meet and hike with others. Other times she hiked solo.

She's far, far from being an unintelligent woman. Very naive (from my viewpoint) and very much an extremely liberal child of the late 60's. I told her that I would have loved to do the hike with her and that it would have been been a great excuse to have picked up a nice lightweight big-bore revolver.

She called me a "sissy."
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    It's always your choice and your decision...

"A couple of posters have used words like “never” to describe the odds of using defensive handgun skills, or stated that one is FAR more likely to die of heart disease or stroke than to find himself in a gunfight. I disagree...
    It is certainly your right to disagree. I believe your example is a good one, but there are a couple of flaws that have already been brought up. I’ll add my own spin to the ideas.

1. There are things that undoubtedly increase your risk for being assaulted. The more you train self defense the more you mitigate those risks. There comes a point where you are generally safe. You live in a safe place. You don’t go to bars until 3am. Your house has a security system and a big nasty dog. You are fit, strong, and vigilant. You are trained to respond in bad situations including medical and survival. All the layers of self protection are in place, including carrying a gun. By taking all the steps, you have minimized your risk to the point where carrying a gun to be safe is superfluous. Until it isn’t.

2. There are similar risks that are associated with health issues. There a definitive markers that decrease your overall chances of having health problems. Many of those overlap with the layers I mentioned above. You do everything you can to mitigate those risks. You eat right, you exercise, or minimize exposure to hazardous substances and environments. You get regular check ups. You might still have health issues. Heck, you might get hit by a truck driving to work. You can not do what you can control.

If you live in a historically crime free area, don’t go stupid olaces with stupid people and do stupid things, but are 100lbs overweight, drink a case of soda or beer every day, can’t run a mile, and have a family history of dying of heart issues at age 50, which scenario is more likely to happen. Assess your own risks and ignore them at your own discretion, but don’t pretend that some don’t exist or aren’t important. You only get one life, my opinion is it’s best not to gamble with it. Unless you’re misanthropist. Then gamble all you want, just write about it afterwards.
    Last edited by NerdAlert; 03-06-2018 at 06:19 AM.

User Tag List