Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed (for now) on WC GP100 - got a 442 NL

Passed (for now) on WC GP100 - got a 442 NL

I'd like to thank all those who gave input on my Wiley Clapp GP100 thread. I found the responses to be excellent and on point.

After several days of reflection I decided that the GP100 route would end with a few range trips and then relegation to the safe. In my studies I did find myself coming across pocket carry and what many here choose for it. I DO have a requirement and need for a pocket carry gun, my Ruger LCP not fulfilling this role in the almost 10 years I have owned it due to "auto cursed draw". My G42, while accurate as hell, was far too bulky for the task and the LCP was a better draw, which was a no-go. Time to give a J-frame a try!

Conveniently, we had a 442 no lock in the display case. I papered it out this past Saturday and picked up a DeSantis Nemesis until my Aholster arrives. I've spent a few hours with dry practice, reloads from a speed strip, and pocket draw. I like it.

I did get to the range today. I fired 50 rounds of AE 130 FMJ, 50 Winchester125+P JHP, and 20 Speer Gold Dot 125+P. No failures, as expected. I did learn, rather quickly, that a near death grip is required for any sort of rapid firing without reacquiring my grip. Once I had that down I lost some skin just below the first joint of my thumb. That was the only discomfort I had, no throbbing hands or the like.

My last 10 shots on two targets. Distance was 7 yards. Ammo was Speer GD 125 +P. From first shot (for each target) I then fired the remaining four as quickly as I could reset the trigger. I am pleased with the results given my lack of familiarity of the platform.
    Name:  IMG_0967.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  27.7 KBName:  IMG_0968.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  26.7 KB

Much practice to do, especially with consistency in regards to my grip. BTW - the targets are not upside down (well, they are but this is how they were shot - I am tall enough that I must raise the target at close distances to avoid shooing into the ground vs the backstop). When I burn the upper targets I fold and flip for the lower targets.

Any input on anything would be most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Once I had that down I lost some skin just below the first joint of my thumb. That was the only discomfort I had, no throbbing hands or the like.
    Congratulations. Whenever I am going to spend much time with a J-Frame, I put a band aid on the joint of my thumb. You now know where to put it.

Passed (for now) on WC GP100 - got a 442 NL

Looks like excellent shooting :-) I am just getting into j frames myself and really enjoying my 642 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 03-05-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Congratulations. Whenever I am going to spend much time with a J-Frame, I put a band aid on the joint of my thumb. You now know where to put it.
    Band Aids are now in the j-frame range list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Looks like excellent shooting :-) I am just getting into j frames myself and really enjoying my 642 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks! I don’t think I’d be doing as well as I did if I hadn’t gone to Ernest Langdon’s class and the Glock Operator Course. More classes are on the horizon.

And more 442 shooting!

"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

I haven't needed a bandage for my thumb since I smoothed out the bottom edge of that "thumbpiece" (aka cylinder release). That sharp edge was very annoying.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good move! Everyone should have a 442 or 642. (Mine is not stamped “642,” but is a Performance Center snub-gun that started life as a 642, in the days when every variant was given its own model number.)

The desire for the GP100, however, may well return.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-06-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Site Supporter
    My 442-2 has been very useful for those times when a belt gun cannot be carried. Nearly 700 rounds through it and no issues, despite the lock. I just got permission from my command staff to qualify with it as an authorized off-duty firearm. It, along with an authorized off-duty G26, will accompany the Bride and I when we periodically travel to Baltimore to visit my son. She has enough residual hand strength, post stroke, to cycle the 442 five times in a dire emergency. I have not, so far, been able to convince her to try any sort of bottom feeding pistol.

I'm now at a total of 267 rounds. Yesterday I tried some S&B 148gr LWC versus my Ruger LCP using CCI Blazer 95gr FMJ. I used a 8.5x11 sheet of paper for a target at a distance of 7 yards. From the low ready I proceeded to do a mag/cylinder dump. Each target has 50 rounds total. I have six magazines for the LCP two of each with flat, extended rest, and +1 extended. For the 442 the thrown shots are from my trigger finger hitting my support hand, I scored a set of UM combat grips that I am cutting down to boot length to address the length of pull.

Name:  IMG_0993.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  28.4 KBName:  IMG_0992.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  22.3 KB

Some personal observations:

LCP: My grip was more consistent, but the grip was smooth enough that, without a extended rest or the +1 extension, control became a significant issue towards the end of the magazine. I have a Gen1 and the sights really suck. I was also surprised at the discomfort felt towards the end of the 50 rounds. I later fired some Remington Golden Sabers and the recoil was much greater than the CCI. I also had three failures to eject during my time on the LCP. In order of shootability: +1, extended, flat.

442: Wadcutters. Wow. I was seriously having fun shooting the 442 and, while FAR from the accuracy of my G17, I was very happy with the results. I was also sad that I only had 50 rounds of the wadcutters. I then shot 50 rounds of Winchester 130gr FMJ (pissed as I did not get a pic, the grouping size was between the LWC and LCP). While not horrible, I would still pick the 442 over the LCP for extended shooting sessions (.38 +P would be a different story). The sights, while better than the LCP, still suck. I am tempted to get a 340PD for the additional weight savings and the front sight options or a M&P 340 for the night sight, however, I may start thinking that a pocket J may be a viable alternative to a more proper solution...we will see.

Overall: The 442 reigns supreme for my pocket pistol choice. The LCP, had I shot it as well as the 442 would have been a serious contender given the extra rounds over cartridge performance. My accuracy with the 442 trumped that.

Now at 417 rounds. This past session I fired 50 Speer Lawman 158gr FMJ +P, 20 CorBon 125gr JHP +P, 25 Hornady American Gunner 125gr JHP, and 50 Federal Gold Medal 148 LWC.

The 158 +P were rough. The recoil quickly turned my groups to horrible. This was the target at 10 yards:

My initial “grouping” was in the upper 10 and 9 ring. That was for about 15 or 20 rounds. It went south from there.

I then used the CorBon and Hornady loads to attempt sight tracking. That was a waste. Even with 100% concentration on simply finding the sight at the end of the recoil arc I was unable to do so in any way I would call quick. I didn’t bother getting a pic of the target as I used the same one. I then moved on to the wadcutters.

Starting with +Ps was not a good idea, my anticipation was off the charts. This grouping was at 7 yards using a first round with proper sight picture then the following four rounds point shooting. Again, the +Ps took their toll on my anticipation.

I realized that I was simply throwing lead and decided to try SHO shots. I won’t embarrass myself with those targets.

I did find a new spot for a band-aid:

The upper part of the grip did this.

Take away from this past session:

Extended shooting with high energy ammo is counter productive. Not only did I waste ammo, I created a short-lasting issue that is annoying. Wadcutters are awesome to shoot but do no good if you’ve created an excessive anticipation situation. Sights....maybe a M&P340 would be better.

Next week will be with 130 FMJ, standard pressure, only. Also with a bit more of a regimen on marksmanship and not falling back to point shooting.

User Tag List