Thread: AAR - NRA Patrol rifle Instructor class; Appling, GA

AAR - NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor class; Appling, GA

My equipment: Glock 17, Streamlight TLR1s, Safariland 6360, and my duty belt with all accessories, S&W M&P 15, Surefire X300-Ultra, VTAC sling, Aimpoint Comp M5.

Day 1

Arrived at 0730 and registered for class as well as filling out other requisite paperwork. We met the NRA instructors, one a retired FBI agent and the other a retired Homeland Security agent. Introductions from everyone in class which included nuclear security, private security, DOD police, VA Affairs police, and law enforcement. As usual in every class you go over the do’s and don’ts including local range rules. After ensuring that all weapons were clear, and no ammunition were in the classroom we did a few dry-fire drills including magazine changes, different firing positions, and right and left-handed drills & usage, transitions, cruiser safe, malfunction clearance, reloads, and safety circle.

After lunch we did a 50-yard confirmation of zero (which I liked) from the 7-yard line. We also shot the NRA qualification…not for score but just to go over the qualification course of fire. We then moved into movement and pivot drills such as standing looking either left, right, or up range then turning our head to identify a target then engaging. Finally, we moved into live-fire doing all that was mentioned above. All in all, a good range day as we were all kind of figuring each other out.

Day 2

Started out in the classroom for the first half of the day. We spoke about zero groups versus combat groups, coaching, the zero process (some of which I hadn’t heard since basic training), and NRA membership, NRA programs, and sponsoring classes. We all filled out the requisite paperwork for our NRA credentials should we pass the class.

After lunch we moved to the range and went through the zero process. Those of us that had optics removed them so we could use just irons. The officer next to me liked my target so much he shot it instead of his own. That screwed us up because we didn’t know which group was his…setting us back on drills. I managed to get mine close to zero with irons on the next drill, but I felt like I was playing catch up.

We then reinstalled our optics and zeroed them. Mine was almost correct and took little adjustment. On a range note, if you bring a weapon to a class that requires special tools be sure that you bring them, so you can fix or remove anything on your weapon. If you do not have the requisite tools you set everyone back as everyone waits on that one person. Apparently, there is a special tool needed to remove an optic from a Sig Rifle or a Sig optic from a rifle. We then moved into movement drills and challenging the target with “Police, Don’t Move!” and firing if we were told. This moved us into transitions. What I noticed is that I don’t scan enough. I had to tell myself not to get into “range mode” and just turn my head in a half-hearted effort.

Day 3

We started out in the classroom with a review of previous day (Challenge Commands, positions, shoot on the move, and transitions). We then moved into ammo and selecting the ammo that works best in your weapon. We also spoke about FBI protocol ballistics gel, barrel twist rates, magazines, slings, and optics and mounts. Then into Developing and Conducting Practical Range Training which included lesson plans, reviewing lesson plans as well as cover and concealment. We then moved into low light training which included an evening on the range. We stopped class just before 2100. Good training day as we covered a lot of ground and did a lot of shooting.

Day 4

We conducted a review of the previous days training and then the range session was moved into the morning as we had bad weather moving in. On the range we started working through the student team’s presentations. It took a good while but each group taught a lesson/drill, another shot the drill, and another group critiqued it all. This took some time as we had 6 groups to move through.
    Classwork included Principles of Adult Learning and a huge block on Legal.

Day 5

The morning started off with a review then we went through incapacitation drills in class then moved that lesson onto the range. We were also allotted time to check our zeros as we were about to go to a longer range and shoot some steel at distance. All students shot steel silhouette targets from 100, 150, and 200 yards. While some took a few more shots everyone was pretty much on. That fell into a short transition competition on the shorter range. The winner received an NRA challenge coin.

We all passed the class.

On a disheartening note there is still way too much Blackhawk Serpa in law enforcement. I do not know if its ignorance or just unwillingness to change but 7 holsters out of 24 were Serpa’s…with another two that were just OWB holsters with little retention. Everyone else had one version or another of a Safariland holster but the prominent Safariland model, by far, was the 6360. There were also a few 7TS versions which was good to see.

A look around the students revealed a few DD’s, Colts, S&W’s, and at least 1 BCM for rifles. Sidearms were predominately Glocks and M&P’s but there was at least one Beretta and a Sig as well as an XD. Optics were mostly Aimpoint’s, from micro’s, Comp M4’s, & PRO’s, and at least one Sig Romeo along with a cheapo from Cabela’s. There were two EoTech’s that both users reported their dot was hard to see on the white card-stock NRA TQ-21’s. Three or four people had no optic. I assumed prior to class that every agency had moved away from one-point slings but there were several in this class. Those folks began to see its limitations in an LE role. On the magazines…most were using PMags and some assorted metal mags. There were other mags but by day 3 they were crashing and burning. One guy was having a real issue with his off-brand polymer mags. I saw a lot of gear getting shaken out…some good…some not so good…which is a good thing.

If you are in LE this is a good class for “instructor development”, especially if your agency has a patrol rifle program.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 03-05-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Day 1
    After lunch we did a 50-yard confirmation of zero (which I liked) from the 7-yard line.

Day 2
    Started out in the classroom for the first half of the day. We spoke about zero groups versus combat groups, coaching, ...
    What I noticed is that I don’t scan enough. I had to tell myself not to get into “range mode” and just turn my head in a half-hearted effort.

Day 3
    We started out in the classroom with a review of previous day (Challenge Commands, positions, shoot on the move, and transitions)...
    We stopped class just before 2100.

Day 4
    Classwork included Principles of Adult Learning and a huge block on Legal.

Day 5

The morning started off with a review then we went through incapacitation drills

... If you are in LE this is a good class for “instructor development”, especially if your agency has a patrol rifle program.
    I took an ancestor of this class back in '94. The lead instructor was a retired Royal Marine Colour Sgt.

Thank you for the AAR. I have some questions off of it.

- 50 yd confirmation of zero at the 7yd line? Uhm, I'm confused. I have & on occasion use a target for 10yds that approximates the initial intersection for the 50/200ish zero;

- Combat groups?
    - The scanning thing is interesting. Many that seem to disagree with it appear to do so because its become a range dance.

- What was their take on "challenge" commands? I've seen civil attorneys spin out over the use of the phrase.

- What cases, issues were covered in the Legal block?

- Incapacitation drills?

Again, thank you for the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    I took an ancestor of this class back in '94. The lead instructor was a retired Royal Marine Colour Sgt.

Thank you for the AAR. I have some questions off of it.

- 50 yd confirmation of zero at the 7yd line? Uhm, I'm confused. I have & on occasion use a target for 10yds that approximates the initial intersection for the 50/200ish zero;

Yes, we used a similar target that was meant for 10 yards...just at 7.Dont ask me why.

- Combat groups?

Yes, at closer ranges sometimes people try to get a perfect sight picture. You only need the sight picture you need at close distances...that includes pistol. I've heard that taught for year's and if you watched the Jared Reston video posted a few months ago he mentions something similar. Get the sight picture you need to have to make the shot. A perfect sight picture isn't necessary.

- The scanning thing is interesting. Many that seem to disagree with it appear to do so because its become a range dance.

I totally agree. As it has been mentioned in almost every firearms session I have attended as of late the instructors believe that it will bring you out of "tunnel vision" quicker.

- What was their take on "challenge" commands? I've seen civil attorneys spin out over the use of the phrase.

In all honesty we (at my agency) haven't used commands. I think the message is that instead of automatically shouting a command and firing at the target we should wait to see if its actually a threat. As has been mentioned several times on this forum we seem to revert to what we were trained on the range. If you take that to its extreme we teach people to shout "POLICE! DONT MOVE!" and then we start shooting. My take from it was give the command, move, and see if its a threat (which is a command "THREAT!") or the instructor says that the suspect complied. Tied into that was negligent discharges that lead to suspects getting shot. A low ready stance while moving to identify a threat is better because if you are pointing your weapon at the suspect & moving to identify the threat you may not see the whole picture. You may see the suspect make a movement and simply fire a round, not meaning too...and the suspect gets shot.

My take on it was I can see their point. There isn't much of a time difference between low-ready and recognizing a threat and firing to keeping a suspect in your sights, recognizing a threat and firing.

- What cases, issues were covered in the Legal block?

There are too many to name. Failures to train, negligent retention, failure to supervise, & failure to take corrective action. Also included were vicarious liability & deliberate indifference, criminal & civil liability. There is an entire appendix to the book with the cases. Popow v. Margate, Graham v. Connor, and Tennessee v. Garner still remain as the ones mentioned in almost every firearms training session I have ever attended. Also mentioned were Zuchel v. Denver, Brown v. Gray, Belcher v. City of Foley, & Young v. City of Providence .

- Incapacitation drills?

Dealing with malfunctions after you have become wounded and have use of only one arm. We did it strong and weak side.

Again, thank you for the AAR.

Very interesting. It does sound like you got stuck next to "That Guy" for at least two days.

Thank you for the list of legal decisions as well.

I’m laughing a little bit at myself at the moment. I’ve lived in GA for most of my life. I’m well aware that our city and county names usually don’t align. I saw his course announcement and saw “Appling” and my brain went to Appling County which is down near Florida and with scant population versus the city of Appling which is over near South Carolina and just outside of a major population center (Augusta).
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I’m laughing a little bit at myself at the moment. I’ve lived in GA for most of my life. I’m well aware that our city and county names usually don’t align. I saw his course announcement and saw “Appling” and my brain went to Appling County which is down near Florida and with scant population versus the city of Appling which is over near South Carolina and just outside of a major population center (Augusta).
    I’ve been to Augusta a few times since September. My son is currently stationed there so I went down a day early and hung out with him. I stayed at Home2Suites in Grovetown, exit 190 (I think) off I-20... Nice hotel and very cordial to LE if anyone is interested. Plenty of food options as well.

For being a rigidly standardized curriculum, it's funny how much NRA course deliveries can differ from each other.
    Last edited by ST911; 03-08-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I’ve been to Augusta a few times since September. My son is currently stationed there so I went down a day early and hung out with him. I stayed at Home2Suites in Grovetown, exit 190 (I think) off I-20... Nice hotel and very cordial to LE if anyone is interested. Plenty of food options as well.
    Appling is about 1.5 hours from me. I rarely, rarely go to the Augusta area unless driving through it to go somewhere else.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List