Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: AR Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    FYI palmetto state is running a deal on a completed lower with their enhanced trigger and a sba3 brace for $219 shipped. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...165448150.html

Ive been looking into building a lower for awhile but that is too good to pass up.
    How would the quality of this lower and parts be, compared to a BCM pistol lower?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How would the quality of this lower and parts be, compared to a BCM pistol lower?
    I’m not qualified to answer that. My research indicated they present great quality for the price but are not on the level of BCM.

I just wanted to get a fun range toy. I’ll likely finish this off with a similar budget upper and optic. Now I need to find an upper for it.

I’m not qualified to answer that. My research indicated they present great quality for the price but are not on the level of BCM.

I just wanted to get a fun range toy. I’ll likely finish this off with a similar budget upper and optic. Now I need to find an upper for it.
    "Champagne tastes but Budweiser budget" - that's me! I don't own a PSA build weapon, but I've shot several and I know of plenty more that folks use for casual, training, and HD purposes. I'm VERY interested in their 9mm GLOCK lower pistols, and I can't deny having had my credit card in hand several times while trying to decide which 300BO shorty to build. Of course, I'm not planning on rappelling into Tora Bora with it.

For you, George, and the way you use your weapons HARD in harsh environments, I think the extra money for a BCM or Colt is worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quality of the LPK would worry me more than the lower itself. PSA can be hit or miss. I tend to only run BCM, Colt or Sionics LPK’s in my builds.
    Shoot more, post less...

For guns that 'really matter', I use BCM pre-built lowers, or BCM or Colt parts on my builds. I have a couple Palmetto pre-built lowers, and at least superficially they look good, and function well.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Kind of a mini hijack but be cautious when buying a BCM lower if you have a good number of Gen 3 PMags...they may or may not fit. The over-insertion tab on the spine of the magazine can interfere with the BCM lower. There’s a giant thread over on M4C going into detail on the “issue.” Just something to be aware of.

Not all BCM lowers have this issue but a good number do. Chalk it up to tolerance stacking and a vagueness of this dimension in the TDP.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Quality of the LPK would worry me more than the lower itself. PSA can be hit or miss. I tend to only run BCM, Colt or Sionics LPK’s in my builds.
    What brands do you recommend for uppers? Or parts for uppers? Part of me wants to build one for the fun of it.

Site Supporter
    What brands do you recommend for uppers? Or parts for uppers? Part of me wants to build one for the fun of it.
    Uppers are more critical than lowers. If the lower itself is in spec and you use a good quality lower parts kit you are good.

Personally my good to go list for parts and uppers would include:

BCM
    Colt
    LMT
    Sionics

DD would fall under good quality but over priced and over gassed.

Boutique but Good to go:
    Hodge Defense
    KAC
    LaRue

Sons Of Liberty Gun Works

BCM usually because they have maintained such a high standard of QC since they’ve been in business. No cost cutting or over inflating prices (ala DD). I also happen to prefer their rails but that’s purely personal preference.

But from a pure parts perspective, you cannot go wrong with BCM and what they sell. I also use parts from Sionics and Colt (mainly LPK). I like the Sionics “builder” LPK because it lets me pick the trigger I want.

As @HCM said, the upper is the more...critical part of the build. For all but two of my ARs I’ve bought the complete upper I want while I “built” the lower I wanted. I’ve got a factory DD I bought about 5 years ago and a factory KAC. Everything else is riding atop an Aero Precision lower. I’ve bought a lot of Aero lowers and they’ve all been 100% to spec and work with all magazines I’ve tried.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Uppers are more critical than lowers. If the lower itself is in spec and you use a good quality lower parts kit you are good.

Personally my good to go list for parts and uppers would include:

BCM
    Colt
    LMT
    Sionics

DD would fall under good quality but over priced and over gassed.

Boutique but Good to go:
    Hodge Defense
    KAC
    LaRue

Sons Of Liberty Gun Works
    Too late to edit but Sons of Liberty should be up with BCM, Colt etc

User Tag List