Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: AR Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

I use a Barrett REC7 DI AR Pistol, in 5.56. It’s awesome. I have 2100 trouble free rounds through it. The brace on it feels the least ridiculous of any of the other braces I’ve used. I use this gun on duty as a patrol AR as well, with sling, aimpoint and light.

civiliandefender.com
    Dr House, Is that the receiver extension the Barrett came with? Looks longer than normal pistol length in that pic.

Mi is also a state where I can not carry a loaded ar. But in pistol for it is 100% legal. Which has been making lean towards one for a truck gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Dr House, Is that the receiver extension the Barrett came with? Looks longer than normal pistol length in that pic.
    I’m not sure? It seems like about the same length as my BCM 14.5” with BCM stock in the LOP I run it on.

civiliandefender.com

Thoughts:

10.5" barrel will provide all the longer-range performance you need and be more reliable without tuning. Go below that and you want to make sure the gas system is tuned to the shorter length. I believe that's just a matter of opening it up a little but don't quote me on that. You should get pretty much all the oomph out of a cartridge and can run at least up to 62gr with a 1:9 or 1:7 twist (memory may not be correct about 1:9 and that weight).

Shorter barrel is shorter length, of course, but you will lose some speed and even with 1:7 twist it's best to keep round weight below 60gr for best performance. I have a 7.5" barreled pistol that is my 'interstate bag gun' that I consider to be a 150-200 yard weapon max. It'll still leave a mark farther out I'm sure, but velocity suffers at the rate of approximately 100 fps per inch, IIRC, and running 52-55gr rounds I prefer to keep it close.

Arm braces be good. I have KAK shockwave but want to at least try the brand that I can't remember the name of right now--HATE it when that happens...

LAW folders good to reduce length for storage and carry. LAW folders not good because at best you get one shot before unfolding them, which might make it to slow to get into action in fullness. I have a covert bag that allows me to get away without one.

You might well find that the AR pistol doesn't gain you as much shortness as you thought. It's advantageous for other reasons, however. Here is a picture from the fourth book in my 'Gunfighting, and Other Thoughts about Doing Violence' series that has some comparisons. I have a big chapter on C-PDWs (Civilian-Personal Defense Weapons) in book, which category I put AR pistols into. (My AR pistol is 3rd one down in this photo.)
    Name:  SAM_0672-25per-reduction.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  48.2 KB
    Last edited by CR Williams; 03-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    www.inshadowinlight.com

https://amazon.com/CR-Williams/e/B0751SZZ85/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

A eight or nine inch .300 BLK AR pistol with a SB Tactical brace is darn handy for home, travel, or hiking in the hills.

Name:  D7FFC0A7-0E20-474B-899B-EB744C58FA0F.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  119DB585-9151-494E-9FBF-5A2B26C3BD3B.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  104.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

They have a Mod 2 Tailhook with a quick adjust length of pull similar to an M4 stock but with a proprietary buffer tube.

Name:  gear-head-works-tailhook-mod-2-black-ghw-th-mod-2-by-gear-head-works-570.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  26.7 KB

How short could you go with a 300blk pistol running supers for an effective short range PDW ? Not meant for hunting or to be suppressed. I'd like to go no more than 8", but preferably less.

I'm not even aware of a barrel shorter than 7" in any caliber. Don't know anything about the ballistics from that though.

Quote Originally Posted by 396 View Post
    How short could you go with a 300blk pistol running supers for an effective short range PDW ? Not meant for hunting or to be suppressed. I'd like to go no more than 8", but preferably less.
    Isn’t the Sig MCX Rattler in .300 only 5.5 inches?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Isn’t the Sig MCX Rattler in .300 only 5.5 inches?
    Yep.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List