Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: AR Pistols

It would work with a BCM lower from G&R Tactical or a Sons of Liberty Gunworks lower since those can be ordered without a stock. Sionics Weapon Systems also has a package they call the Gutless Wonder lower which has most of the annoying pins and detents installed but no stock, pistol grip, trigger guard or fire control group. It’s listed at $150 on their site which I think is a fair price.

I’m brainstorming a pistol build with the SBA3 right now and the rut I’m stuck in is that the SBA3 comes with a receiver extension and so do all the preassembled or mostly preassembled lowers. I hate having excess parts that aren’t normal wear parts. If the brace didn’t come with a receiver extension, I’d order an SBA3 and the Sionics Gutless lower and be done with it.

Unless I decided to use a LAW folding stock adapter! Then a preinstalled receiver extension on a lower would be a nuisance. Too many options coupled with the fact that an AR pistol would just be a toy for me is what’s stopping me from building one.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I wasn't aware of the SBA3 brace until I just got done looking it up on their site.

So if I understand correctly, I could just order a Colt lower from Brownells (lower having never been assembled as a rifle, so the ATF is good with it as a pistol build), install an SBA3 brace, and then pop on a 11.5" upper and be done.

Sounds almost too easy. But also sounds like the end product would be exactly what I need to accomplish for this project.

Thanks for the input...
    MSparks909 is spot on. You need to start with either a complete pistol lower which will be listed on your 4473 as a "pistol" or start with a stripped lower which will transfer on your 4473 as a "receiver."

Either way, I highly recommend you take a look at the gen3 LAW folder. Solid , reliable and very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    MSparks909 is spot on. You need to start with either a complete pistol lower which will be listed on your 4473 as a "pistol" or start with a stripped lower which will transfer on your 4473 as a "receiver."

Either way, I highly recommend you take a look at the gen3 LAW folder. Solid , reliable and very handy.
    Can a lower with a carbine receiver extension that has never had a stock on it be transferred on the 4473 as a “pistol” or “other?” I believe it can but I’m not sure where I got that info from and am not very knowledgeable on NFA stuff so I figured I’d double check.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Can a lower with a carbine receiver extension that has never had a stock on it be transferred on the 4473 as a “pistol” or “other?” I believe it can but I’m not sure where I got that info from and am not very knowledgeable on NFA stuff so I figured I’d double check...
    There was a copy of an ATF letter on AR15.com that said the receiver extension in itself did not determine a rifle or pistol. A stock determines a rifle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Can a lower with a carbine receiver extension that has never had a stock on it be transferred on the 4473 as a “pistol” or “other?” I believe it can but I’m not sure where I got that info from and am not very knowledgeable on NFA stuff so I figured I’d double check.

–————————————————
    Logically, the carbine receiver extension is one part of the collapsible buttstock assembly since it has the provisions for the sliding part of the Buttstock. Isn’t that why pistol receiver extensions exist ?

You will sometimes see what you are describing listed by vendors as “no stock” lowers but it is not something I would mess with.

Even if it met the legal definition of a “receiver” instead of a rifle, why buy a lower with a carbine receiver extension when you will have to swap it out anyway ?

Or just buy this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...tm_campaign=cl

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    There was a copy of an ATF letter on AR15.com that said the receiver extension in itself did not determine a rifle or pistol. A stock determines a rifle.
    I’d like to see the letter.

Part of the confusion is that there are now pistol braces, like the SBA3, that mount to carbine receiver extensions and not pistol receiver extensions.

–————————————————

Site Supporter
    My setup OAL is 28 inches with the brace forward on the buffer. 30 inches as in the photo. Sig M400 11.5 barrel.

Name:  Sig M400 Pistol.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  68.3 KB
    Last edited by MDFA; 04-25-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

FYI palmetto state is running a deal on a completed lower with their enhanced trigger and a sba3 brace for $219 shipped. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...165448150.html

Ive been looking into building a lower for awhile but that is too good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I wasn't aware of the SBA3 brace until I just got done looking it up on their site.

So if I understand correctly, I could just order a Colt lower from Brownells (lower having never been assembled as a rifle, so the ATF is good with it as a pistol build), install an SBA3 brace, and then pop on a 11.5" upper and be done.

Sounds almost too easy. But also sounds like the end product would be exactly what I need to accomplish for this project.

Thanks for the input...
    Yes. Yes you can. The Colt lower will be listed on your form 4473 as "OTHER" and all you gotta do is slip on the SBA3 brace, buy a Colt 6933 upper for it and you'll have a fine all Colt AR pistol, easy peasy. If I had the money, I'd do exactly this.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-25-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List