Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: RFI: AR Pistols

RFI: AR Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Not if you can use the spare stock to make a legal configuration. For example, it's legal to be in possession of a shorty upper and a rifle lower as long as you have a rifle upper.
    The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals disagrees with you. This is a post-Thompson case.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=3,44

The NFA is serious business. I don’t understand the attraction of skirting the edge of legality with the braces and whatnot but folks seem to like doing it, so whatever. It is a good idea for folks to educate themselves on the law first.

Folks should also keep in mind the actual prevalent attitudes towards firearms, especially NFA firearms, in their community. Even in red states and counties the local patrol cop may or may not be pro gun. The prosecutor is probably not, and definitely not pro-defendants-having-guns. The jury pool is on average probably not pro-gun and definitely not pro-NFA. We all hang out with pro-gun people so our perspective is skewed, but a small-town-Texas born-and-bred prosecutor working for a Republican DA in Tarrant County told me nobody needed an AR-15, certainly not the unregistered SBR my client allegedly had, and all of his colleagues agreed. Law enforcement personnel by nature are rules-oriented and predisposed to interpret those rules to make cases; they don’t need your assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TR675; 05-06-2018 at 06:10 AM.

My apologies, I meant to say extension not receiver. They sell them with a carbine extension and you cannot buy the brace as a stand-alone item.

Interestingly, KAK and Gearheadworks both designed adjustable pistol braces that utilized the standard carbine extension and both were ruled NFA items in opinion letters by the ATF. So they both redesigned them to use proprietary extensions and got ATF opinion letters stating they were allowed for use on pistols.

SB Tactical just asks their customers to take their word for it that everything will be ok. That’s just not something I’m comfortable with doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals disagrees with you. This is a post-Thompson case.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=3,44
    Interesting.

The NFA is serious business. I don’t understand the attraction of skirting the edge of legality with the braces and whatnot but folks seem to like doing it, so whatever. It is a good idea for folks to educate themselves on the law first.
    It's not about skirting the law, but about being able to do what the law allows. The BATF says using an arm brace is legal on a pistol. The BATF says it's legal to place an arm brace or a bare receiver extension or other legal device installed on a pistol against the shoulder. The BATF says it's not legal to install arm brace with the purpose of using it to circumvent the law. I follow the regulations to the best of my knowledge and abilities. I cannot afford to do otherwise.

Folks should also keep in mind the actual prevalent attitudes towards firearms, especially NFA firearms, in their community.
    Wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Interestingly, KAK and Gearheadworks both designed adjustable pistol braces that utilized the standard carbine extension and both were ruled NFA items in opinion letters by the ATF.
    You have the link for the letters?

SB Tactical just asks their customers to take their word for it that everything will be ok. That’s just not something I’m comfortable with doing.
    SB Tactical states the SBA3 is ATF approved.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-06-2018 at 10:52 AM.

SB Tactical states the SBA3 is ATF approved.
    Unless I am mistaken, the SBA3 is ATF approved for it's intended use. There is no mention about shouldering the device.

Look up the ATF letter covering shouldering arm braces.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Look up the ATF letter covering shouldering arm braces.
    Seeing as they have flip flopped on that issue multiple times...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

...and?

What's the real consequence if the ATF once again changes their mind about arm braces? We comply with the new policy, that's what.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

...and?

What's the real consequence if the ATF once again changes their mind about arm braces? We comply with the new policy, that's what.
    If you plan on just using it as a brace and never shouldering it then yeah who gives a shit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Exactly. If it becomes illegal to shoulder an arm brace, then stop shouldering it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    My setup OAL is 28 inches with the brace forward on the buffer. 30 inches as in the photo. Sig M400 11.5 barrel.

Attachment 25740
    So is this a SBR? I have a similar set up with a KAK blade and a 10.5 barrel with an OAL of 26 3/8. I'm wanting to put a VFG on it. Does that turn it in to a SBR?
    Bill

User Tag List