Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: AR Pistols

RFI: AR Pistols

I’ve been leaning towards adding an AR of some sort to the home arsenal for some time, doubly so since moving to the metro-Atlanta area. Wanting something on the slightly smaller side, I of course looked at the side of SBRs but had the idea brought up of an AR pistol as a less-expensive alternative.

I’ve looked at the laws some, but it can get a little wonky. Also, I’m not incredibly knowledgeable on this field so would prefer insight from those who know more than I.

What sort of things do I really need to keep in mind if I’m looking to go down this path?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

A lot of places prohibit loaded rifles in vehicles, AR pistol circumvents that restriction. Since it is a pistol, it can be carried with a CCW permit where any other pistol can be carried. Probably qualifies as an assault weapon in some jurisdictions like CA, NY, MA etc. Avoids requirement to obtain ATF permission to transport a SBR interstate. I really like my SIG P516 which has run 100% and is quite accurate.
    Last edited by LtDave; 03-05-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I picked up a Springfield Saint pistol last year. It is factory built with an SB Tactical brace. Check out the info from SB Tactical regarding the legality in the link below.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/about/compliance-story/

Since it is classified as a pistol all laws pertaining to pistols apply.
    Last edited by medmo; 03-12-2018 at 02:18 AM.

As far as federal law goes it's pretty simple, it's a pistol. Whatever you can do with a normal pistol you can do with an AR pistol or any other rifle-type handgun. You don't need a tax stamp and you can travel with it without notifying the ATF but you can't put a vertical for grip on it or an actual stock without a stamp. State laws are what you need to watch out for. Some states have restrictions on handguns where the magazine is separate from the pistol grip and stuff like that.

On the hardware side of things, the caliber you choose will influence what barrel length you want and vice versa. With 5.56 you want to stay over 10", probably closer to 12". If you want to go shorter than that .300BLK would be a better choice.

Site Supporter
    Good advice so far.

A note on federal legalities:

If you want an AR pistol you have two options:

Buy a complete pistol or a complete pistol lower,which will transfer to you as a “pistol” on the 4473, or;

Start with a stripped lower receiver which will transfer to you as a “receiver” and can then be made into either a pistol or a rifle.

If you choose the receiver route, you can always reconfigure your “pistol” into a rifle later.

A gun sold as a complete “rifle” or a complete “rifle” lower always remains a “rifle”

On a side note, I highly recommend the LAW folder as a practical addition to any “brace” AR pistol.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-12-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    As far as federal law goes it's pretty simple, it's a pistol. Whatever you can do with a normal pistol you can do with an AR pistol or any other rifle-type handgun. You don't need a tax stamp and you can travel with it without notifying the ATF but you can't put a vertical for grip on it or an actual stock without a stamp. State laws are what you need to watch out for. Some states have restrictions on handguns where the magazine is separate from the pistol grip and stuff like that.

On the hardware side of things, the caliber you choose will influence what barrel length you want and vice versa. With 5.56 you want to stay over 10", probably closer to 12". If you want to go shorter than that .300BLK would be a better choice.
    One correction on the above... VFG is a possibility, so long as the firearm is over 26.5”... then it’s a firearm, not a pistol, ala mossberg shockwave/Remington TAC-14.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    One correction on the above... VFG is a possibility, so long as the firearm is over 26.5”... then it’s a firearm, not a pistol, ala mossberg shockwave/Remington TAC-14.
    You're right. I had forgotten about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Troy is selling an “other” here in CT that circumvents our AWB. It has a 12.5” barrel, pistol buffer tube, and the forward takedown pin permanently attaches the upper to the lower. It also has a VFG that apparently is intended to distinguish it as a “firearm” instead of a “pistol.” I applaud them thinking outside the box, but I’m glad I got all of my ARs pre-ban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Barrett REC7 DI AR Pistol, in 5.56. It’s awesome. I have 2100 trouble free rounds through it. The brace on it feels the least ridiculous of any of the other braces I’ve used. I use this gun on duty as a patrol AR as well, with sling, aimpoint and light.

civiliandefender.com

Very nice. My next pistol or firearm is getting a tailhook.

User Tag List