Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cor-Bon 9mm Luger +P 115gr DPX in gel

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Kind of surprising that a 115 gr +P load isn't faster. I'd be interested to see the results (both chrono and gel) if this test was repeated with guns with a longer barrels. Even with relatively fast-burning powder (VV N320), I've seen +40-50 FPS from as little as a half inch longer barrel. If Cor-Bon is using something slower than N320, the difference could be larger.
    5pins got pretty similar velocities with the Barnes 115gr stuff.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blo...ballistics-gel

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Odd when you consider the both claim around 1200fps.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Odd when you consider the both claim around 1200fps.
    The ASYM load runs closer to 1200 fps but the firing pin strike is blown nearly clear out of the primer.

Production date is during the transitional period, so hard telling if there are recent changes of note. Last bullet was their proprietary v3 DPX bullet, still a copper solid but not a Barnes. It's historically been the fastest and highest pressure of the type, and could be pretty barky. I have some velocity notes for a G26 in the ~1150-1200 range, and a windshield at ~18" penetration and about .4 recovered diameter. Even if now downloaded, those solids are long and present their own quirks in load development. More pressure doesn't always mean much more velocity, depending on what they're doing. Interesting...
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I'm running out of FBI clothing as bought from Clear Ballistics so I took the fabric samples down to Joann's Fabrics and bought a yard of each material. The nice lady who helped me said they don't list fabric by "5.25 ounces per yard, 48 threads per inch" or "3.5 ounces per yard, 80 threads per inch" but she was able to get me what I wanted by feeling the stuff with her fingers. The only thing that was listed by ounce was the denim. I bought a yard of 11 ounce. This was the heaviest they had. The FBI spec calls for 14.4 ounce denim.

Hopefully these materials will be close enough as to not negatively influence my results. It would be easier, yet more challenging to the bullet, to just use four layers of denim. But I want to keep using something close to the FBI protocol since that seems to be the industry standard.

The lady at the fabric store asked me what I was wanting this stuff for. I guess I should have anticipated that and cooked up some sort of cover story. Being caught on the spot, I told her the truth and was waiting for her to be offended. Surprisingly, she seemed quite interested in hearing what I was doing. That was a nice surprise especially given all the bad press guns have been getting again.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-04-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Looks like the DPX is a solid performer!

Thank you for this test and the others you have done. You do some really nice work with these tests.
    Last edited by LOBO; 03-05-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Looks like the DPX is a solid performer!

Thank you for this test and the others you have done. You do some really nice work with these tests.
    Thanks.

I have a half a box of the DPX left. I should try it out of my P320 X5 with its 4.7" barrel.

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-05-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Thanks.

I have a half a box of the DPX left. I should try it out of my P320 X5 with its 4.7" barrel.

That'd be a good test to see

Today I tried the Cor-Bon in my SIG P320 X5. This pistol has a 5" barrel so I was curious to see what the longer tube did for overall performance.

Muzzle velocity is better--1150fps or so--from the full-size barrel but still quite a bit under the advertised 1250fps.

Penetration is better, too. Two bullets fired through heavy clothing gave 13.75 and 14.5" in gel.

Overall, probably not a bad load. It is billed as "+P" likely due to the chamber pressure rather than the velocity. As a result, the load is comfortable to shoot and would probably make a decent carry load.

What a quick way to blow about $25! But I enjoy it.

Bullets pulled from gel show 100% weight retention as was expected.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-11-2018 at 08:01 PM.

User Tag List