Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cor-Bon 9mm Luger +P 115gr DPX in gel

Cor-Bon 9mm Luger +P 115gr DPX in gel

Good afternoon!

Today I tried the Cor-Bon 115 grain DPX in organic gel. I fired 2 rounds through FBI spec heavy clothing and two rounds through laminated auto glass followed with a light clothing barrier.

Distances from the muzzle was 10 feet for gel and clothing and 10 feet from the windshield for the glass test. The block was placed 18 in behind the glass. Firearm used was a Ruger Officer's Model with a 3.6 in barrel.

First up, Chrono data:
    Average: 1081.60
    StdDev: 11.59
    Min: 1064
    Max: 1094
    Spread: 30
    True MV: 1082.83

Only three bullets were caught. The first round through auto glass exited out the top of the block.

Note the slice visible in the top of the block that ends at close to 12 inches. This is the track from the first bullet through glass. A search of the immediate area to locate the bullet was unsuccessful.

The two bullets through clothing poked to just over a foot. The captured bullet through glass can be seen there at about 11.5 inches.

Here are the bullets fired through clothing. Note the auto glass bullet there at probably 11.5 inches.

Recovered weights.

Auto glass first.

Heavy clothing.

Recovered diameters.

An overall of the three bullets.

As is probably expected given the recorded muzzle velocity, this is a mild load and was quite soft when fired from the little Ruger.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-04-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Not bad. I assume it was pretty soft shooting at such a low velocity.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Not bad. I assume it was pretty soft shooting at such a low velocity.
    Yep. Nice comfortable load in the little Ruger.

A similar load (all copper hollowpoint but made by Barnes) is the 115gr TAC XP from ASYM Precision. It is also a "+P" load but churns out muzzle velocities closer to 1,200 fps. It produces more recoil. But it also penetrated to 13" in clothing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    First up, Chrono data:

Average: 1081.60
    Kind of surprising that a 115 gr +P load isn't faster. I'd be interested to see the results (both chrono and gel) if this test was repeated with guns with a longer barrels. Even with relatively fast-burning powder (VV N320), I've seen +40-50 FPS from as little as a half inch longer barrel. If Cor-Bon is using something slower than N320, the difference could be larger.

Here is an overall photo of the block sliced in half.

Note the bits of denim and clothing shed by the bullet.

Auto glass is some amazing stuff. Four rounds through (two 9mm and two 38) and it is still a solid piece.

What's the lot# on the inside flap, and are there any additional marks or stamps on the package?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What's the lot# on the inside flap, and are there any additional marks or stamps on the package?
    Here you go.

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-04-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Following your work avidly.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Following your work avidly.
    Thanks!

User Tag List