Thread: Cor-Bon 38 Special + P 110gr DPX in gel

Cor-Bon 38 Special + P 110gr DPX in gel

Good afternoon!

Today I tried the Cor-Bon 110 grain DPX in organic gel. I fired 2 rounds through FBI spec heavy clothing and two rounds through laminated auto glass followed with a light clothing barrier.

Distances from the muzzle was 10 feet for gel and clothing and 10 feet from the windshield for the glass test. The block was placed 18 in behind the glass. Firearm used was a Ruger LCR with a 1.87 in barrel.

First up, Chrono results:

FPS
    Average: 995.40
    StdDev: 15.81
    Min: 981
    Max: 1022
    Spread: 41
    True MV: 996.53

Here is an overall of the block. It looks like only three bullets are in there but all four were caught.

Here is a close up of one of the bullets through glass. The bullet flipped around on its way through and came to rest base forward.

Here are a couple bullets in the sectioned block. Note penetration is under the 12" for all bullets.

Bullets recovered from gel.

Recovered weights. Auto glass first.

And clothing.

Recovered diameters.

Overall, probably not too shabby. Another couple inches would have been preferred, of course.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-04-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Post up the gel pics

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Post up the gel pics
    Lol. Sorry. Got distracted.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Auto glass is some amazing stuff. Four rounds through (two 9mm and two 38) and it is still a solid piece.

Thank you so much for doing this test!

The bullets fired through the clothed gel penetrated 10 1/2" give or take?

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Thank you so much for doing this test!

The bullets fired through the clothed gel penetrated 10 1/2" give or take?
    Yessir. And about an inch less for the glass.

Not quite as good as the 130gr HST through clothing but certainly better through the hard barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Good afternoon!

Today I tried the Cor-Bon 110 grain DPX in organic gel. I fired 2 rounds through FBI spec heavy clothing and two rounds through laminated auto glass followed with a light clothing barrier.

Distances from the muzzle was 10 feet for gel and clothing and 10 feet from the windshield for the glass test. The block was placed 18 in behind the glass. Firearm used was a Ruger LCR with a 1.87 in barrel.

First up, Chrono results:

FPS
    Average: 995.40
    StdDev: 15.81
    Min: 981
    Max: 1022
    Spread: 41
    True MV: 996.53

Here is an overall of the block. It looks like only three bullets are in there but all four were caught.

Here is a close up of one of the bullets through glass. The bullet flipped around on its way through and came to rest base forward.

Here are a couple bullets in the sectioned block. Note penetration is under the 12" for all bullets.

Bullets recovered from gel.

Recovered weights. Auto glass first.

And clothing.

Recovered diameters.

Overall, probably not too shabby. Another couple inches would have been preferred, of course.

Hi, I am aware that this post is a few years old but I haven't found any relevant new info on the DPX 110's

I have always carried these DPX's in the old version with the Barnes bullets. When my supply ran out I ordered a stock of new DPX's only to find the bullets looked different. I did a few Google searches and found Corbon did indeed switch from Barnes to a proprietary bullet. A call to Corbon confirmed this. Corbon stated the newer bullet was slightly harder than the old but expanded better with good penetration considering.

Did the DPX you used have the new bullet or the older Barnes. I ask because the few posts I did see stated lack of penetration compared to the old design.

I was able to run the new ones over LABRADAR and the velocities seem to match the old stock along with the accuracy.

I dont have access to callibrated ballisitc gel as in years past

Thanks in advance

User Tag List