Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17.......do I need a battle rifle?

Army SF guy talking about .223 v .308

Hickok45 revisiting the SCAR17 and talking about why he's raffling it off. Camera guy (his son) explains what it's like being a bystander of the gun being fired.

Why'd you hate the 16 but like the 17? Except for caliber, everything else is the same (except maybe weight).

I have one, I waffle back and forth on if it was a wise purchase. It's a cool gun and lightweight, but for $3k I think there are better options for the civilian user.

I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.
    "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"

There's a fella on here who used one quite a bit, posted some thoughts about it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post97256

In addition the same fella also says,

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    It's not an AR. Don't treat it like one, don't carry it like one. They are hard on optics. Don't use an EOTech. Check mags for function before buying in bulk. Replace the folding factory stock; it's garbage. Make sure you run the gas block on proper setting if you're shooting it suppressed. QC has been hit and miss. Hopefully you got a good one.
    and,

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    What he said ⬆️ (referring to a poster who linked to the Scar 17 discussion thread I've provided above).

Unless you had a very specific question, that is pretty much what I can say about the SCAR-H.

If I wanted a 7.62 semi-auto rifle, it would still be a contender. I have no use for one, and have liquidated my safe of my .308's, and am not up to date on what other options are currently available.
    So after all that said, if you were to ask "if you could go back in time and buy something else, would you" the answer to that would be "yes".
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

SCAR 17.......do I need a battle rifle?

My SCAR 17 is my favorite all around rifle. It shoots 1 MOA or slightly better all day long with SMK’s and prints very respectable groups with any bulk ammo I’ve fed it. It’s light, easy to maintain, and has been 100% reliable. As you mentioned in your OP, the MK17’s have been subjected to 1000’s of hours of hard use in theater and have preformed very well.

I’ve got mine setup with a host of KDG and Geissele parts. If I could only own one rifle, this would be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nightstalker865; 03-04-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
    My SCAR 17 is my favorite all around rifle. It shoots 1 MOA or slightly better all day long with SMK’s and prints very respectable groups with any bulk ammo I’ve fed it. It’s light, easy to maintain, and has been 100% reliable. As you mentioned in your OP, the MK17’s have been subjected to 1000’s of hours of hard use in theater and have preformed very well.

I’ve got mine setup with a host of KDG and Geissele parts. If I could only own one rifle, this would be it.

How are you liking the KDG stock?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How are you liking the KDG stock?
    Love it so far. It is built like a tank and locks up nice and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Both FL and TX are NFA states so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

If you don’t already have a trust, I would recommend going through silencer shop for it. I’m sure they can answer your question. If not they have an NFA attorney on call and access is included with the trust service.

I’d be pretty surprised if Gun Gallery in Jacksonville couldn’t answer that question for you as well.

No doubt. Ask for Neil. 904-641-1619

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    No doubt. Ask for Neil. 904-641-1619
    I actually frequent the place, no knock on them. They're really knowledgeable and they have my business. But I have to do my own research. I didn't talk to Neil, but they said it should be good, but I should check. Which I am going to do. I plan on doing the research on deployment and asking a legal professional I trust before pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Army SF guy talking about .223 v .308

Hickok45 revisiting the SCAR17 and talking about why he's raffling it off. Camera guy (his son) explains what it's like being a bystander of the gun being fired.

Why'd you hate the 16 but like the 17? Except for caliber, everything else is the same (except maybe weight).

I have one, I waffle back and forth on if it was a wise purchase. It's a cool gun and lightweight, but for $3k I think there are better options for the civilian user.

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"

There's a fella on here who used one quite a bit, posted some thoughts about it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post97256

In addition the same fella also says,

and,

So after all that said, if you were to ask "if you could go back in time and buy something else, would you" the answer to that would be "yes".
    So to answer the question why I don't like the SCAR 16. First it doesn't do anything that my AR's won't do, especially my piston ARs. But that's a go to argument as correct as it is. The other reason I didn't like it is, I felt every single time the piston went to the rear and it pulled the Trijicon MRO off target noticeably each shot. I felt the entire cycle of operations each shot. The bolt and everything is too heavy for the setup of the rifle in the 5.56 configuration.

I've run a lot of guns and my youtube stuff is out there. I think the SCAR17 runs smoother and as intended in the .308 version. I've run FAL's flat, and VZ58's. A whole list of different guns. Even the Tavor is smoother than the SCAR16 I ran. I also put a healthy amount of rounds through it. It didn't take me long to decide I didn't like it, but I kept running it anyway. Just didn't like how it ran, and my other 5.56 guns were running just fine.

I do like the 17, I enjoyed running it and the capability it brought to the table. The 17 feels right at home as is, it feels like it was supposed to be a .308, and the 16 was an afterthought.

Double tap
    Last edited by navyman8903; 03-04-2018 at 03:31 PM.

I have an MR762 and have been kicking around the idea of a SCAR17 for years. The MR762 (Civi HKK417) is just to heavy for me to use for anything but a long range precision gun used from a rest. I don't think I fired it since 2015.

I've testfired the SCAR17 and could not bring myself to get enamored with it. When firing a box of ammo from it from an odd shaped rest the reciprocating charging handle got caught on something and caused a failure to feed. It had had a weird recoil sensation that felt weird against my cheek when fired from the bench. I've never felt anything like it in firing a wide variety of other guns It would seem that it would get annoying after prolonged use.

The trigger sucked and the muzzle brake caused a painful concussion. If I were to buy one I would get a Geissele trigger and the original SCAR flash hider. I wanted to like the gun, but I just could not summon up the interest to carry through and buy one--not to mention not the need.

I may have gotten a unicorn OEM trigger but I think the trigger is decent for a battle rifle.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

User Tag List