Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17.......do I need a battle rifle?

SCAR 17.......do I need a battle rifle?

So I'm sure as some of you saw with my Beretta 92G thread asking if I needed one, I'm trying to chop down my gun list. What I did was, I got a 48 gun massive 7ft tall safe, and made a gun list of every rifle, pistol, and shotgun I would ever think I needed to fill it up. Well I'm married now, and my wife brought about 11 guns to the table. She also wants some too. After I finish my MR556 project and my MR762, I'm starting up twin LWRC dedicated suppressed builds for us. I'm also buying a KAC SR15 to match hers for when we want light and fast. Anyway......we had both planned on getting SCAR17's for a while, but she's changed her mind. Now I know, I don't need to get her one of everything I've got, and I don't need copies of everything. (It's a habit I have, find something you like, and buy two. Just incase once breaks I have a backup. Especially with the political climate.)

Now I absolutely hated the SCAR 16 I fired about 250 rounds through. But I loved the SCAR17 I fired two mags through. But with the amount of AR's we'll have in the house, plus the MR762 I have now setup as a DMR, and the MR762 I'm getting to do a G28 clone........I'm thinking do I need a battle rifle. I know the SCAR17 is probably the best in class do it all 7.62/308 there is. I would have picked up a M1A SOCOM II if Springfield didn't pull the shit they did. (They're absolutely dead to me) So what it's down to is this. I'll have DMR's in my two MR762's and one bolt action R700 SPS tactical 20". With the AR's I'll have total on hand, plus what I already do have. Do I really need the SCAR17?

Does the battle rifle have a place in my kit? Before you ask, yes I'll run it and already stock ammo. I definitely will add an extended M Lok rail, trigger, different butt stock and pistol grip. And I will definitely need to buy a lot of mags for it. Plus probably a VCOG or something that will withstand the punishment of the piston. Something in 6x or 8x. So the whole project isn't going to be cheap. So if I drop it, I'll be saving money. I do really want one, and it is the king kong of battle rifles as far as I'm concerned.

So do those with them love them, and run them frequently? Or can I go without it? Or should I sell the mags I've purchased in planning to get this rifle to my buddy and focus on the projects I've got?

Perhaps a better name for this thread would be “do I want a battle rifle.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yes. Buy one.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I have a SCAR 17 because my other 308's were a ton more money and I cringe at running them fast and hard, especially the ones that shoot in the .4's .5's and .6's. The SCAR is for when I want to do things abusive to a 308 platform. Additionally, not that I can take advantage of it (NJ) it is quite cool/useful that it folds!
    Last edited by shane45; 03-03-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    And a 13” barrel (and the requisite tax stamp).
    Man, a 13" .308 has to bark.

I had an sr25 acc mlok. I kept it a few months. I sold it because I moved to 6 acres where 100 yards was my longest shot. There was no need for a battle rifle. I replaced it with a benelli m4 14" entry with c stock. Why? Because cool guy points and a 12ga slug will do as well or better than a .308 for getting inside cars, killing big North American game (100y or less line of sight....), and 12ga in the house is king, and at night on running coyote flite control buck does the deed.

However, I see you're in Texas...where? In wooded area, or gods country? The mission drives the gear, and your mission may involve 800m use.

Ps. Get a k16i, mk6, or 1-8 nightforce. All are proven, and all are way better than the vcog. I've owned all these optics except the nightforce. They all had good and bad points except for the vcog. It's an 800 dollar scope and didn't belong in the group due to illumination, optical prowess, reticle, or anything but light transmission and optical clarity. The only positive I can say is the glass quality was on par. Nothing else was. It's not near a true 1x, either, imo. I used to love trijicon back when acog was the rage, but Now? The rmr is cool on a pistol...
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I had an sr25 acc mlok. I kept it a few months. I sold it because I moved to 6 acres where 100 yards was my longest shot. There was no need for a battle rifle. I replaced it with a benelli m4 14" entry with c stock. Why? Because cool guy points and a 12ga slug will do as well or better than a .308 for getting inside cars, killing big North American game (100y or less line of sight....), and 12ga in the house is king, and at night on running coyote flite control buck does the deed.

However, I see you're in Texas...where? In wooded area, or gods country? The mission drives the gear, and your mission may involve 800m use.

Ps. Get a k16i, mk6, or 1-8 nightforce. All are proven, and all are way better than the vcog. I've owned all these optics except the nightforce. They all had good and bad points except for the vcog. It's an 800 dollar scope and didn't belong in the group due to illumination, optical prowess, reticle, or anything but light transmission and optical clarity. The only positive I can say is the glass quality was on par. Nothing else was. It's not near a true 1x, either, imo. I used to love trijicon back when acog was the rage, but Now? The rmr is cool on a pistol...
    That's solid advice. I'm in the Fort Worth part of DFW, northern area. It can go from city to gods country fast. Lots of flat open terrain with splashes of urban sprawl and houses. Then nothing again. So I can easily reach out to range and have shots up to 800-1000 if the state of affairs dictated I needed to shoot at things in my area. I do also agree and understand if I had to have just one rifle, the SCAR17 is a solid choice. Hits hard, runs well, and is combat tested. It's also very light, and easy to maintenance. Only drawbacks are the polymer lower I guess, the butt stock, the need to modify any aftermarket grip to install it, and then there's the price. Mags aren't too bad at about $40 a pop. Nothing like $10-13 a pop for P mags. I'm not changing the lower out to take P mags. I've already got 3 mags on hand.

I'm just not sure it's 100% necessary for me to have. The AR's I have with the 77gr stuff takes me to 500-600 range on 8x. And I've got a .308 precision setup. I also love the idea of the battle rifle and respect its capability. Just on the fence still. I know the total price of everything will land me more than the MR762 DMR I am setting up ($6850 start to finish) but cheaper than the G28 clone I'm building ( I don't even want to add it up at this point). Probably easily in the $7K region. I mean there's nothing that does all of the things it does out there honestly. So that's why I'm still stuck on the SCAR 17. I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I mean there's nothing that does all of the things it does out there honestly. So that's why I'm still stuck on the SCAR 17. I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.
    Then reverse it - are there other items in your safe that the SCAR 17 could enable you to sell because it could take on their roles as well?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Then reverse it - are there other items in your safe that the SCAR 17 could enable you to sell because it could take on their roles as well?
    Well, that's a good point. I can't ditch some of the things in my safe though. The MR762 fits me so well and is point and click level accuracy. I also think the HK barrel will be more accurate over range vs the SCAR. But the SCAR is accurate. Especially for the barrel profile. It's a good all around rifle. This is going to be a tough decision all the way around. Not that anyone has them in stock, but I have to decide what I'm doing with this gun list before I pull in from deployment this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perhaps a better name for this thread would be “do I want a battle rifle.”
    Or "Do I Need A Battle Rifle That Eats Optics?"

User Tag List