Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: REI Boycotting Vista Outdoors for Supporting NRA

It matters.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This is not really news. REI has been anti-access for motorized off-roading and anti-hunting forever. As are most other companies that make or sell quality outdoor products for backpacking/climbing/mountaineering/cycling.

That last one, BTW, I just don't get. My mountain bike is just a smaller, slower version of a sports car that can go different places. And my dirt bike is like a cross between mountain biking and rally. Being pro-bike and anti-car is a massive case of letting politics and self-righteousness get in the way of a joyful life. A stance for someone with a dark, raisined up little soul.

^^^^ This I'm a snowmobiler and have know this for a very long time. I will admit that I bought some boots from them for my son. At the time he was 16 and now 32, tells you the last time I did get something from them.

I live a couple of miles from the REI flagship store, so it's easy to swing by when I'm running errands. I usually drop between $500 and $1k on stuff there in a typical year, but I can get the same or better stuff in other places online, so I'll do that instead. I'll still try stuff on at REI if needed, I just won't buy it there.

The RKBA crowd has a very long memory.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I continue to have excellent service from USAA and actually look forward to my, admittedly rare, interactions with their CS people (I call once a year to review insurance needs). Our last claim was over a year ago, but it was handled like every other claim I've ever made with them over the previous 28 years or so -- completely frustration free. It sucks that it wasn't the same for you.

I know a bunch of people that complain about various aspects of their service/products. I've had nothing but positive experiences. My only "complaint" would be that they don't do business bank accounts. I literally do everything with them (except investments where I just use the discount broker my former employers used for 401K administration). I'm either really lucky or have really low standards, because I've never been less than thrilled with them.
    My experience almost exactly matches yours, as I am a USAA member since 1990 and have enjoyed nothing but stellar service and interactions throughout.

Go to REI, try on/test out the items they sell, go home and order from the internet (unless it’s an REI brand item) for less.

Yes, it’s a douche-y thing to do.
    That's what I do at Guitar Center...

Per Tom's earlier point it doesn't make much sense that they single out these brands for this reason. Per their logic, Camelbak water bottles and Bell bicycle helmets are evil because of their connections to the firearms industry but Benchmade/Gerber knives and Arc'Teryx clothing are not?

I think that REI wants to be the hip, outdoorsy, hippie, tree loving people brand. Hopefully they will soon understand that a lot of their revenue comes from people like us who love the outdoors, are nerds for gear, and will pay good money for that gear. I would wager that hippie, tree loving people don't spend nearly as much on premium outdoor gear as we do.

Got my canned reply...

Hello ...,

Thanks for emailing the co-op, and your feedback regarding Vista Outdoor.

If you haven't already, please read REI's statement on our newsroom at https://newsroom.rei.com/company-inf...ta-outdoor.htm.

Best,

Membership Services
    1700 45th St E, Sumner, WA 98352 | p 1.800.426.4840 | rei.com
    I'm a bit underwhelmed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've been a member since 2000, but REI doesn't have a single thing I can't buy cheaper somewhere else. They have just made themselves irrelevant to me with their political correctness.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if REI knows that Surefire flashlights are kind of sort of gun related ... (shhhhh)....
    Last edited by idahojess; 03-04-2018 at 07:40 PM.

After reading the REI statement, I sort of want to buy something from Savage. What do they make that doesn’t suck? (Not trying to say their products suck, I just have no knowledge of their products other than they apparently give REI management the vapors).
    Wouldn’t a case of Federal be easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List