Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ER_STL family vacation - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Sedona, AZ - Grand Canyon area.

Sedona has beautiful hikes. Travel through the Coconino National Forrest. There is lots to see and do there. Head north to Flagstaff and make a left to get to the Grand Canyon. It cannot be appreciated properly by photos or videos. Get below the rim on the South Kaibob or Bright Angel trails for a true appreciation of its vastness.
    Agreed. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Sedona a few years back. Absolutely gorgeous, and we fell in love with Arizona.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

So three years later we finally managed to take our family vacation…to Utah. What an absolutely beautiful state.

We flew into SLC on 6/12 and drove to Green River to stay. First up was the Little Grand Canyon - a much less traveled site to visit. It had been recommended by a friend who lives in Utah. We drove to the tiny town of Ferron to rent a UTV.

The scale isn’t appreciable through photo. It was fantastic and remote; we were the only ones there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next up was a stop at Goblin Valley State Park on our way down to Bryce Canyon. I had read about the various slot canyons that were in the San Rafael Swell and figured we’d try one out. Like the LGC in the northern part of the Swell, Goblin Valley wasn’t a tourist trap. Aside from a few dedicated families of hikers we didn’t see too many people.

The drive past Capital Reef park is beautiful. After having seen it we wished we had planned on visiting it. We’ll definitely have to go back and see it.

Again, the scale can’t be appreciated without seeing it in person.

We spent one day on Bryce Canyon. We did the popular Navajo and Queen’s Garden loop. We also took a few photos from the various viewpoints up top. Bryce was a gorgeous park viewable in one full day.

Zion National Park was next. It’s MASSIVE and unfortunately overcrowded at this time of year. We spent two days there and, aside from the Narrows, toured attractions outside of the area limited to shuttle travel only.

Zion has to be seen to be appreciated, like the rest.

Finally, we swung by Kolob Canyon to the northwest of Zion. It had a beautiful scenic drive and a number of hikes ranging from easy to intense. Not to continue to repeat the same thing over and over again but the majestic nature of the stunning views can’t be appreciated via photo alone.

The slot canyons at Goblin Valley remind me of backpacking through Paris Canyon.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Outstanding pics from an awesome trip! I adore Utah. I've got plenty more to see of it, but so far Bryce is my favorite and I've been there twice.

Site Supporter
    We love southern Utah. All of the parks are beautiful. Wife’s great-grandfather was a road and tunnel engineer for Zion, and her grandfather was a park ranger there. My son and I went on a church group summer adventure there several years ago. Angel’s Landing was amazing, and the Narrows was a very difficult hike for me (the water was high, and I wasn’t in terribly good shape at the time).

User Tag List