Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking recommendations for a 6" revolver

Seeking recommendations for a 6" revolver

I have been hoarding my nickels, and have decided to buy a .22 LR revolver. I am leaning towards a nice old Smith or Colt with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights. A nice blued revolver is always nice, but I am not averse to stainless steel.

@Wayne Dobbs gave me an excellent recommendation on a 4" Model 15, and I really love that. Is a 6" Model 17 the way to go? @oregon45 got that lovely K22 a while back, and that really made me lust for something similar.

Please offer your thoughts. Thank you very much.

Site Supporter
    It's hard to beat a S&W 17, especially the older 6-shot ones, but good luck finding one for less than $700.

A K38 (M15) is a great choice as well. That gun shines with target wadcutters. Those can be had for comparatively low prices.

Chris

Yup, I have a 4" Model 15, and love shooting it. I ran it last year during the HiTS Revolver Roundup, and it gave very worthy service.

$700-800 is doable for the .22 I seek. I'd like to stay under $900.

There was a very nice K22 made in 1953 on the S&W forum that sold for $750 today. That's about the going rate, depending on condition, version, and whether the box or papers are present. I paid $699 at a local store for the K22 I bought last month and considered it a deal.

For a paper punching, rock busting, can-rolling 22 revolver that has no ambitions to "tactical" use I'd go with a 6" S&W K22 or Model 17. They're accurate, pleasant, heirloom quality sixguns. Stake out the S&W forum and be ready to go when the right gun comes along.

The S&W Model 617's are nice guns but very heavy for what they are, and current S&W production quality is so variable that you'd be better off buying a Ruger GP100 22lr if you're buying new. That said, I wouldn't buy any Ruger DA revolver sight unseen anymore--Ruger makes great guns, and they stand behind them--but their quality control has been lacking over the last several years, particularly, it seems to me, in the double-action line.

The older M617's with the 6-shot cylinders command a premium--I have been seeing them sell for more than K22's and M17's which goes to show there is no accounting for the varying tastes of the revolver buying public. I recently purchased an 8 3/8" M617-1 for just under $1k and considered myself lucky. I needed it for IHMSA silhouette competition where the very heavy barrel is an asset when shooting in the Creedmoor position.

If you have a local old school gun shop... check out some colts & smiths and buy whichever tickles your fancy.
    Personally, I love the 17 & k22

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yup, I have a 4" Model 15, and love shooting it. I ran it last year during the HiTS Revolver Roundup, and it gave very worthy service.

$700-800 is doable for the .22 I seek. I'd like to stay under $900.
    Once you get the 22, challenge yourself to find a 32swl-chambered K32.

I stumbled across one in a small shop a few years ago for about half it's generally accepted market value at the time (now worth about 3x what I paid per the the current S&W guide).

Chris

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It's hard to beat a Model 17. I bought one a few years ago, a 17-3, for $625. Money well spent! I've probably put 3k rounds through it.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Thanks Stephanie, much appreciated.

I'll start prowling the gun shows and forums.

Another vote for the M-17. I like the ones made just after WWII with the fish hook hammer, but they're all good.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's also a little niche of goodness with the pre-lock, 10-shot 617s. That's on the list for when I decide it makes sense to buy another gun. Wallet safety is on, but it's in Condition 1 for that if I see the right deal on accident.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List