Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Working together to protect the 2nd Amendment

Florida Shooting:NRA sues as Florida enacts gun-control law

The NRA filed its lawsuit on Friday just an hour after the bill was signed by the governor.

The complaint says the law violates the second amendment of the US constitution, which governs the right to bear arms.

It also argues the bill breaches the 14th amendment's equal protection clause by banning law-abiding citizens between 18-21 from buying guns.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Trump backs off call for raising minimum age to buy gun

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House on Sunday pledged to help states pay for firearms training for teachers and reiterated its call to improve the background check system as part of a new plan to prevent school shootings.

But in a move sure to please the gun lobby, the plan does not include a push to increase the minimum age for purchasing assault weapons to 21, which President Donald Trump had repeatedly championed.

Instead, a new federal commission on school safety will examine the age issue, as well as a long list of others topics, as part of a longer-term look at school safety and violence.

The plan forgoes an endorsement of comprehensive background checks for gun purchases, which the president, at times, seemed to embrace.

In a call with reporters Sunday evening, administration officials described the plan as a fulfillment of Trump’s call for action in the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month that left 17 dead.

“Today we are announcing meaningful actions, steps that can be taken right away to help protect students,” said Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who will chair the commission.

DeVos said that “far too often, the focus” after such tragedies “has been only on the most contentious fights, the things that have divided people and sent them into their entrenched corners.” She described the plan as “pragmatic.”

The plan was immediately panned by gun control advocates, including the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “Americans expecting real leadership to prevent gun violence will be disappointed and troubled by President Trump’s dangerous retreat from his promise,” said Avery Gardiner, the group’s co-president...

A little wordplay on Niemöller's famous quote:

First they came for the full-auto weapons, SBR’s and suppressors, and I did not speak out—
    Because I had no use for a full-auto, a short barrel rifle or a suppressor.

Then they came for the assault rifles and 30 rd magazines, and I did not speak out—
    Because I had no use for an assault rifle or a 30 rd magazine.

Then they came for the 15 rd magazines and extended magazine tubes and I did not speak out—
    Because I had no need for a 15 rd magazine or an extended SG magazine tube.

Then they came for my Ruger 10/22 and my Rem 870 — but it was too late to speak out.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

In my own observance of the 14 MAR school walkouts:

I gave $50 to the NRA Foundation, bought an annual membership in my State level NRA affiliate and got an annual membership in the SAF. I will also be taking a coworker shooting tonight at a local range.

I need to write some letters as well to my congress critters.

Site Supporter
    I'm running the balance of my NRA membership giveaway over on another forum...

Note to self: Gun forums are not the easiest places to give away NRA memberships.. LOL

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=91783
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Reply just rec'd from Sen. Thom Tillis of NC:

Dear Mr. _______,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about concealed carry reciprocity. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 27, 2017, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. If enacted, this legislation would amend the federal criminal code to allow individuals who possess valid concealed carry permits in their home state to conceal carry in other states that permit residents to carry a concealed firearm – in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

I generally believe that a federal law should not be implemented to override existing state laws; however, the current reciprocity laws often confuse even the most informed, law-abiding gun owners. Concealed carry permit holders should have the right to carry in other states that do not prohibit it. I am a co-sponsor of this legislation and look forward to supporting it should it come before the full Senate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
    U.S. Senator

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Donated to NRA. Just got sick of non-stop solicitations so I let my membership expire and they finally stopped. However, this is far more important.
    I've noticed several folks saying they let their membership lapse in order to stop solicitations. I've been a member continuously for decades. A few years ago I got tired of the solicitations too, called the NRA, and asked the rep to remove me from all mailings. The solicitations and other junkmail from them stopped pretty quickly and haven't started again.

I write this to offer that one can keep a membership and simultaneously stop the solicitations just by asking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Reply just rec'd from Sen. Thom Tillis of NC:
    Do you think he's purposefully avoiding the fact that the Bill is DOA since FixNICS sailed through on the coattails of the appropriations bill?

/rhetorical
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Lest anyone think the battle is in a lull...

A federal district court judge in Boston has upheld the state's ban on assault weapons – AR-15 semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines – finding that the issue is not a constitutional matter but one for each state to determine on its own politically.

"The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to ‘bear arms,’" U.S. District Judge William Young, a Reagan appointee, wrote in a decision Thursday in Boston, dismissing a lawsuit over the state law.

Young was ruling for the state in upholding Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey's decision in 2016 to broaden the definition of “copies or duplicates" of AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles that are banned under a 1998 state law covering assault weapons...

Site Supporter
    Attorney ethics rules prevent me from saying what I would like to about a judge who could write that “Scalia would be proud” of an opinion upholding a ban on firearms that are clearly “in common use.”

User Tag List