Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Harder lead WC's at 744 fps went 14"; softer lead WC's at 651 fps only went 9". Next time we gel test, I'll see if we can shoot some current factory WC's through some auto windshield glass.
    I had no idea WCs penetrated auto glass. I was once told by someone in a position to know that he'd seen WCs bounce off of leather jackets. His opinion is one I trust, but I took that comment with a heavy dose of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I had no idea WCs penetrated auto glass. I was once told by someone in a position to know that he'd seen WCs bounce off of leather jackets. His opinion is one I trust, but I took that comment with a heavy dose of salt.
    He probably knows of a case where a .38 wadcutter, for real, bounced off a leather jacket, but that's likely the exception, rather than the rule at normal self defense ranges.

I've switched to wadcutters in my J-frame. I've arrived at the conclusion that the enhanced shootability outweighs the lack of intermediate barrier performance.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Yeah, having shot a lot of wadcutters through different things, that would be a tough one.

Perhaps it was at 500 yards?

Site Supporter
    From having shot mostly cast bullets in .38 spl, I can say this with certainty: if any lead bullet bounced off a leather jacket at usual handgun distances, then the powder was defective or the charge weight was incorrect or the primer was defective. I've experienced bullets sticking in the barrel from such, and had one of these not been stuck, then it would have bounced off a person.

Wadcutters as magic bullets is a topic that's been "bounced around" for many decades. Putting words in Doc's mouth, I think his point is that from a 2 inch barrel they are adequate when compared to some other available projectiles fired at low/medium velocity. I now carry them because of his endorsement. Previously I used red line hand loads with my own soft 160 gr hp bullet. I admit that the idea was not a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of a .32 S&W...extra shot, .380ish ballistics and Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast wadcutter that is a little hotter.
    What about the 327 Federal Magnum?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What about the 327 Federal Magnum?
    I've surely been thinking about an LCR 327. That sixth round is attractive and terminal ballistics appear acceptable. I've been hesitant to introduce yet another caliber to a collection I've actually been trying to streamline. That said, its not something I would be pouring rounds down in large volume, just shooting it enough to be proficient in the event of need.

I don't have much experience with it in hand but I've shot my friend's LCR 327 enough to know its controllable. Rather loud little booger though

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    I've surely been thinking about an LCR 327. That sixth round is attractive and terminal ballistics appear acceptable. I've been hesitant to introduce yet another caliber to a collection I've actually been trying to streamline. That said, its not something I would be pouring rounds down in large volume, just shooting it enough to be proficient in the event of need.

I don't have much experience with it in hand but I've shot my friend's LCR 327 enough to know its controllable. Rather loud little booger though
    I don't own a 327 nor have I shot one but I can't imagine it'd be too bad in the recoil department.

On paper, the little cartridge looks like it would be a good choice for a snubbie. The limiting factor is going to be choice of ammo and revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't own a 327 nor have I shot one but I can't imagine it'd be too bad in the recoil department.

On paper, the little cartridge looks like it would be a good choice for a snubbie. The limiting factor is going to be choice of ammo and revolver.

It can be a hot round. It uses a small rifle primer. The Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) allowed for the .327 by SAAMI is 45,000 psi. By contrast, MAP of the .357 Magnum is 35,000 psi and 36,000 psi for the .44 Magnum.

I shot some 100 grain budget soft points from my Taurus steel snubby with rubber grips and it hurt more than shooting .38 +P gold dot 135 grainers out of an airweight S&W J frame with rubber boot grips.

Site Supporter
    Ditto on that. I found that various 327s had more of a kick than I expected in my 3 inch 632

Defensive loads for 327 are more limited than I thought.

I see a load or two from Federal (I'd hope so since it carries their name) and a Speer Gold Dot. Otherwise, there is one Double Tap load with what appears to be a discontinued Barnes .312 TAC XP.

User Tag List