Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    "Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers."

The above was found here,

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=ra38b
    I read that. But I am wondering about the performance or non performance of those loads in 4 layer denim. If they don't expand, a wadcutter would actually make a wider wound cavity. Plus, there is the issue of the lesser recoil of a wadcutter allowing more rapid follow-up shots.

The recoil and controlability issue is more of a concern to someone who carries a lighter weight J frame than my full weight 640. If that were the case, I would definitely go with the wadcutters.

The way that I read/understand the thread is that they were fired through 4LD covered gel.

We typically test bare gel, 4 layer denim, and auto windshields and make recommendations based on the aggregate results of those tests.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We typically test bare gel, 4 layer denim, and auto windshields and make recommendations based on the aggregate results of those tests.
    Have you tested standard wadcutters through auto glass?

Of course.....about 2 decades ago. It is all about the hardness of the lead and the launch velocity when confronting glass. Harder lead WC's at 744 fps went 14"; softer lead WC's at 651 fps only went 9". Next time we gel test, I'll see if we can shoot some current factory WC's through some auto windshield glass.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 03-06-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Buffalo Bore makes a hard-cast, standard pressure, flash suppressed 38 Special wadcutter specifically for short barrels.

That's probably a safe bet for performance through auto glass, pending any tests from the good doctor.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Buffalo Bore makes a hard-cast, standard pressure, flash suppressed 38 Special wadcutter specifically for short barrels.

That's probably a safe bet for performance through auto glass, pending any tests from the good doctor.
    I'm sure they would. I've used both the Buffalo Bore and Underwood WCs. Good stuff but they surely must be at the very top of the "standard" pressure chart. Certainly not a traditional standard 38 spl load in terms of recoil. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono them yet from a 2" but both companies claim 850 fps. After running them through a 642 I have no reason to dispute their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    I'm sure they would. I've used both the Buffalo Bore and Underwood WCs. Good stuff but they surely must be at the very top of the "standard" pressure chart. Certainly not a traditional standard 38 spl load in terms of recoil. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono them yet from a 2" but both companies claim 850 fps. After running them through a 642 I have no reason to dispute their numbers
    They definitely don’t feel standard pressure, from what I recall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too fast, too much recoil, no fun to shoot and practice with; life is filled with trade-offs and compromises...

I waffle on this a lot. The idea of a J-Frame is, you can have it with you at all times. The problem is, it's a bear to shoot well, with reliably expanding .38 Special ammunition.

Really, the round I've always wanted to work at 750-800 fps is the 148-grain hollow based wadcutter loaded backwards (aka the "buttercup") (http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...148-grain.html). The simple fact of the matter is, expansion tends to be good, but penetration tends to be very poor (<9-12"). Making it a sub-par choice for anything, but carrying around in the deepest of winter (when multiple layers have a chance to increase penetration).

It appears that Federal has gotten close with the "Micro HST" in .38. 130-grain bullet, averaging about 760-FPS, penetration is on the lower end (~12"), but expansion is as good as any HST. Has anyone shot this load extensively enough?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-06-2018 at 11:18 PM.

User Tag List