Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Those look good! Did you cast them yourself?

FWIW, Hornady has a .357/.38 spl. 158 gr. LSWCHP bullet that is made of real soft lead.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...int-box-of-300
    I bought these from GT Bullets.

I have tried the 220gr and 255gr 44-cal bullets previously. I tested them in a 3in Ruger 44 Special. The 220gr doesn't expand violently but it penetrates well. IIRC I was getting 20+ inches in gel. The 255gr expands well and basically turns into a 50 cent piece. Penetrates to 14" or 15" in gel.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

More to try in gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I bought these from GT Bullets.

I have tried the 220gr and 255gr 44-cal bullets previously. I tested them in a 3in Ruger 44 Special. The 220gr doesn't expand violently but it penetrates well. IIRC I was getting 20+ inches in gel. The 255gr expands well and basically turns into a 50 cent piece. Penetrates to 14" or 15" in gel.

Thanks for the info on the GT Bullets & Hornady lead bullets

What velocity were you pushing the 255 gr GT bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post

What velocity were you pushing the 255 gr GT bullets?
    Out of my 3" Ruger I was getting about 950 fps with Skeeter's load.

Okay. I shot five rounds of the 130gr cast hollowpoint into gel. It is too dark now for photos so I'll wait until morning to cut the block open and dig the bullets out.

The bare gel bullets opened nicely but didn't get too far. Average here is only 7.25 inches.

The three bullets fired through clothing did quite a bit better. 11.5" was the average here.

The load is 6.0 grains of Winchester Auto Comp. Muzzle velocity average is 818 fps, standard deviation 35.27.

I still have the Double Tap 148 full wadcutter and the GT Bullets 145gr LSWCHP loads to shoot. I suppose the thing to do is wait until I have data for all three loads and start a brand new thread with all that data.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Of course.....about 2 decades ago. It is all about the hardness of the lead and the launch velocity when confronting glass. Harder lead WC's at 744 fps went 14"; softer lead WC's at 651 fps only went 9". Next time we gel test, I'll see if we can shoot some current factory WC's through some auto windshield glass.
    Hi Doc, I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I was wondering if you found the Federal Gold Medal Wadcutters to have acceptable performance through barriers, such as bone?

I’ve read all of the posts I could find, but the responses seem to skip around the definitive answer.

I know the particular load I mentioned is in your 38 sp sticky, but I wasn’t sure if you had a different perspective now?

Given the option, would you rather the Gold Medal Wadcutters or a bonded HP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Hi Doc, I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I was wondering if you found the Federal Gold Medal Wadcutters to have acceptable performance through barriers, such as bone?

I’ve read all of the posts I could find, but the responses seem to skip around the definitive answer.

I know the particular load I mentioned is in your 38 sp sticky, but I wasn’t sure if you had a different perspective now?

Thanks
    I'm interested in this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    I'm interested in this one as well.
    You have to page him or msg him. @DocGKR
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Unscientific study:

An old 2x4 that has been sitting in the woods for years can stop 38 special wadcutters and hollowpoints.

Federal Gold Medal Wadcutters and Winchester Ranger Bonded +P Hollowpoints we’re fired from 3-5 yards.

About 1/4 of both types got stuck and the rest pushed right on through. Relevant to self-defense? Not sure.. I just wanted to see what would happen.

I suppose the lesson here is that regardless of the ammo type, bullets can be unpredictable. Therefore, you’re probably better off choosing the lower recoil round and banking on multiple hits.

Federal Gold Medal Wadcutter - I was surprised to see it mushroom.
    Name:  D0489A91-6CE0-4354-BA2B-5E2702F3D748.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  53.0 KB
    Name:  586970A2-47BE-4767-8C76-BEF460B201F0.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  40.2 KB

Winchester Bonded +P Hollowpoint - One heck of a wood plug.
    Name:  BE4A51AD-15CB-48A6-9D2C-74E2E9391FED.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  4C15C7CA-3664-4FE9-9011-579C9C334775.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  40.4 KB

User Tag List