Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    By definition, the shoulder is part of the swc design. Swc's are not hollow. Some wadcutter bullets are. The purpose of being hollow is that the base will expand upon firing and form a better gas seal and at the sake time conform to the bore more completely. Supposedly, they are claimed to be more accurate. A downside to hbwc's is that past a certain velocity level, a piece of a base may break off and remain in the barrel.

Richiecotite, my observation has been that cast wadcutters have sharp shoulders. This fact is a function of mold shape. Swaged bullets will have less sharp shoulders because they are pressed into a die under tons of pressure. Whether or not they are hbwc's or dewc's is not relevant. It depends on the particular die shape used in the forming process.

Cast bullets can be made extremely hard depending on alloy. If dropped from the mold into water, then they become even harder. If cast and then heat treated and then dropped into water, they become harder than a preacher's dick, which is much harder than Chinese arithmetic. So, it's now clear that a cast wc made under selected circumstances can penetrate with zero deformation.

Some may not know that wc's were popular with bullseye shooters primarily because they created a perfectly round(easily scored)bullet hole. Another reason is that with charges like 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder, the 148 grain wadcutter was cheap to reload and also was accurate out to 50 yards. Recoil with this load is low. My opinion is that other bullet shapes can be loaded to be just as accurate or even more accurate than wc's. One reason is that one can experiment with a greater powder range. Because the wc takes up so much case capacity, using slower powders is not an option. Past 50 yards the wc fails.
    Thank you I obviously didnt read my hurried reply. I was trying to say that the HBWC normally have the sharper edges and are cast. SWC should have never made the post.

Site Supporter
    Cam, I already had figured out what you intended to write. I enjoyed the opportunity to explain it. Bullet casting and lead bullets in general are favorite subjects. I'm knowledgeable in this area but do not claim expert status.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    They were a fan of them as they were better than the widow maker load, the 158 grain round nose lead. They also flipped them around and loaded it with the open cavity in the bottom of the wadcutter pointed out. After shootings they would attend the autopsy and check on performance. All of Jim's books are great. I just wish I could have taken a class from him before he passed.
    158 gr. LRN wasn't always a widow maker for the user. Sometimes it worked well when the bullet was placed in the right place. Years ago, when I was with LCSP in NW Indiana, there was a gang shooting on 80/94 where a gang member was shot high in his left chest and the bullet, due to elasticity of skin, was halfway sticking out the right side of the chest. He was DRT! Our issue load was the LSWCHP at the time, but I saw enough to never want to be on the receiving end of any bullet.

Not sure what wadcutters some of yinz are seeing online; but most cast wadcutter I see are double ended wadcutters. Most swaged HBWC I’ve seen have a sharper shoulder than most DEWC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Some wadcutter molds arent double ended. Not all are bevel base either. Bevel base are easier to cast and feed through machines, but less sharp shoulders. I recently saw one of the old ideal/lyman 358432 design offered commercially cast, it was the old school with slight shoulder outside the case, as used to be offered in factory target ammo up to the mid 60s I believe. I dot know if the button nose is a detriment to terminal performance compared to a flush seated style wadcutter without the button nose.

Edit: Matts Bullets has several wadcutter types available. looks like some arent bevel base, and they have the 358432 among others that also look good.

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...index&cPath=65
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.

I still prefer the Remington version of FBI load.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    I still prefer the Remington version of FBI load.
    I can see the validity of the Remington version of the FBI load if you choose to go with a +P hollowpoint.

I really like the discussion this thread has generated.

In this particular case I was interested in people's thoughts on +P hollowpoints vs the standard velocity wadcutter specifically out of a 2" barreled J-frame because:

1. I have heard quite a number of reports and tests where the higher velocity hollowpoints don't expand when fired from a 2" barrel. I am not sure enough about this.

2. Wadcutters tend to cut closer to full caliber holes. So it might be preferable to a hollowpoint that doesn't expand.

3. Wadcutters at standard velocities have less recoil than a +P load, making it more controllable to shoot and reducing shot-to-shot recovery times. This is especially important if you are not firing it out of a 21 ounce model S&W model 640 but a 15 ounce Smith & Wesson model 442.

Personally, out of anything less than a full weight S&W 640 or similar gun, I would not use +P loads. I prefer the enhanced controllability of lighter kicking loads which enhance my shot-to-shot recovery times.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-06-2018 at 10:36 PM.

All this talk of lead bullets and dated technology has me curious. How will these two bullets work out of a snub nose 38 when running about 800 feet per second?

The bullet on the left is a 130 grain while the bullet on the right is a 146 grain. Actual weights are closer to 127 and 144 grains.

Both are soft lead so they should expand well at low velocity. Can I get them to expand and still reach 12" in gel?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-17-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Will shoot in gel ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Those look good! Did you cast them yourself?

FWIW, Hornady has a .357/.38 spl. 158 gr. LSWCHP bullet that is made of real soft lead.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...int-box-of-300

User Tag List