Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

Wadcutters vs. Hollowpoints for snubnose carry

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find where.

From some of what I am reading it doesn't seem that hollowpoints, even +P hollowpoints expand out of a snubnose barrel. Wadcutters, on the other hand, maintain their full diameter and can actually create a wider wound channel than a non-expanding hollowpoint.

So it seems with a when you fire a +P hollowpoint in a snubnose, the result for most people is slower follow up shots due to greater recoil and muzzle jump.

The only advantage I can see to a JHP load is if it was a bonded bullet and for whatever reason you had to shoot through something that needed a bonded bullet.

My pocket carry J-frame is a standard model 640, so I am not dealing with a lightweight gun that will be painful to shoot with a +P load. Up until now, my carry load had been the Speer 135 grain +P hollowpoint. But in considering it now it seems a wadcutter might be a better choice for reasons already discussed. For a lighter weight gun, I would not try to carry a +P.

Here are some links that seem to evaluate it intelligently and provide velocity and penetration info.

I would be very interested in hearing other people's (Chuck Haggard, Tamara, DocGkr) thoughts on this.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/w...-self-defense/

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...8-special.html

Why not both? I use the old “FBI load”, a LSWCHP - lead semi wadcutter hollow point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    ...snip...
    DocGKR has a post somewhat addressing your OP: BUG's: .380 ACP vs .38 Special

Synopsis:

There are precious few 38 Special loads that will perform to IWBA/FBI standards out of a snub, but they are there.

Carrying wadcutters is an accepted alternative, but as you mentioned will not perform well with intermediate barriers, in particular metal and glass.

If the recoil on a given +p JHP is more than you'd prefer (excessively long split times, whatever), one strategy is to carry a cylinder full of wadcutters and a reload of something with round noses.....reloading round nose bullets from a speed-loader is demonstrably easier than trying to do the same with wadcutters.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-01-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Corrected info
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm fully on the wadcutter bandwagon for snub use. The Remington Target load is very accurate in my 642, light recoil with great penetration.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Why not both? I use the old “FBI load”, a LSWCHP - lead semi wadcutter hollow point.
    I think the additional recoil of the FBI load is the deterrent to many in an air weight. If the hollow point isnt going to open I think I have read that the low recoil and cutting edge of the full wadcutter is preferred. I had thought that a standard pressure 158 LSWC would split the difference and give POI @ POA. I found that the difference of impact isnt enough to matter. I have gotten where full wadcutters are all I really load and carry either full or semi wadcutters as a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I think the additional recoil of the FBI load is the deterrent to many in an air weight. If the hollow point isnt going to open I think I have read that the low recoil and cutting edge of the full wadcutter is preferred. I had thought that a standard pressure 158 LSWC would split the difference and give POI @ POA. I found that the difference of impact isnt enough to matter. I have gotten where full wadcutters are all I really load and carry either full or semi wadcutters as a reload.
    +1. I'm required to shoot issued ammunition in my authorized pistol, and my agency's continued issuance of ONLY 158gr LHP+P loads has led me to selling my 642 because I just can't stand the pain of shooting it anymore for qualifications. If/when I'm retired and I'm back to using a airweight pocket gun on a regular basis, I'll feed it FWC only and be happy.

"Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers."

The above was found here,

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=ra38b

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    +1. I'm required to shoot issued ammunition in my authorized pistol, and my agency's continued issuance of ONLY 158gr LHP+P loads has led me to selling my 642 because I just can't stand the pain of shooting it anymore for qualifications. If/when I'm retired and I'm back to using a airweight pocket gun on a regular basis, I'll feed it FWC only and be happy.
    I shoot full wadcutters in my model 60 and I have never wished for more recoil.

Midrange wadcutters are low in recoil and seem to have taken the place of the unfortunately near-extinct .32 revolver.
    There used to be a service wadcutter, listed at 860 fps in 6". Might be 780 in a Chief.
    Nobody makes that now that I know of. The Buffalo Bore wadcutter is 869 fps in a 2", which isn't going to kick any less than any other duty load in a snub.
    You could get there yourself with a bevel base wadcutter and 4.5 gr of Unique.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Midrange wadcutters are low in recoil and seem to have taken the place of the unfortunately near-extinct .32 revolver.
    There used to be a service wadcutter, listed at 860 fps in 6". Might be 780 in a Chief.
    Nobody makes that now that I know of. The Buffalo Bore wadcutter is 869 fps in a 2", which isn't going to kick any less than any other duty load in a snub.
    You could get there yourself with a bevel base wadcutter and 4.5 gr of Unique.
    I've been toying with the idea of a .32 S&W...extra shot, .380ish ballistics and Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast wadcutter that is a little hotter.

User Tag List