Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    A PTR 91 would be even cheaper; I've actually heard some negative things about recent production DSAs, at least in relation to the price you have to pay for a new one.

Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?
    In general, nothing from Remington Defense is availible for civilian purchase and rarely for individual LE or MIL sales. The released a few M2010 bolt guns but that’s about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.
    For what you describe I would recommend a 5.56 AR-15 set up in an SPR /DMR style with a high quality 1/8 free floated barrel, Geissele trigger and heavier bullet ammo like 69, 70,75 or 77 grain. The 77 grain IMI razor core is availible at reasonable prices and is stupid accurate.

If Texas made is a factor, I can recommend San Antonio based Sons Of Liberty Gun Works as an alternative to Larue.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-06-2018 at 09:33 PM.

If you’re willing to go bolt gun, the Steyr Scout, Ruger Gunsite, CZ, Winchester M70 would be decent choices.

Regarding the FAL, I only have experience with the older DSA SA58’s and was getting very good accuracy with Portuguese 147gr mil surp ammo and an LPV optic. As per the HK91/PTR, they are good rifles, but very heavy.
    Last edited by DI1; 03-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.

All I can say is Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    When it comes to the AR-10 or AR based 7.62 rifles there is no standardization.

I personally went with the H&K MR762.
    H&K is winning a lot of Mil/LE contracts with the HK417/MR762 platform which means it's closer to being "standard" than most others right now and it's been proven reliable and durable in Mil/LE testing.
    I guess you could say the MR762 is about as close to a 6920 as you're going to get in the 7.62 AR world. It's a civilian version of a military issued rifle from a company who actually makes military rifles and doesn't cut corners on the civilian version (like Colt and the 6920).

I've shot mine to 1000Y (with good 15x glass) on 18" steel plates and any misses were 100% my fault. If I made the correct wind call and a good trigger press the rifle would stack the rounds on target.
    I've also shot it in high round count 3-gun matches with cheap steel cased ammo and it's never malfunctioned.

Downside is you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on one in a very short amount of time and it's a bit of a heavy pig unless you put it on a diet.
    My setup:
    MR762-A1
    Elcan 1.5-6x optic
    Geissele trigger
    CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail (part of the diet plan)
    H&K slim buttstock (part of the diet)
    Colt safety lever (ambi-safety levers chew my finger up)
    Magpul MOE grip (personal preference)

Attachment 24249

You can come see us at Lone Star Armory in Ft Worth about building a TX10. I think we are going to offer a "Truck Gun Heavy" to complement the current "Truck Gun Light", which is authorized by FWPD.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    For your intended purpose, an AR-15 would work just fine. . . .If you just “want” an AR10, the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit and lower are very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For the intended purpose, I second the AR-15.
    I have the AR-15s covered. In my experience, they do well on the coyotes at any available ranges offered by the Mesquite trees and other cover in West Texas. The hogs are a different matter. We sometimes see boars that through the trees, at first, can be mistaken for calves they are so large. The 5.56 is not ideal for the larger porkers.

And, I do just "want" the AR10. The fear of another assault weapons ban is getting to me, and I am worried that I may not always have the chance to get an AR10 with some high capacity magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Might I suggest the Steyr Scout for that purpose.
    That's pretty much exactly what I use mine for and it's just about perfect when topped with a good 1-6x like a Kahles or Steiner.
    I currently have a Aimpoint T2 on mine for s super fast handling pig whacker in the heavy brush around my brothers house in the mountains.

Attachment 24264
    I like your rifles. The Steyr would be perfect. I have an old Marlin 336 that serves the purpose as well. The Steyr will likely still be around even in the unlikely event a new assault weapons ban gets passed. So, I feel no urgency with trying to purchase one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For what you describe I would recommend a 5.56 AR-15 set up in an SPR /DMR style with a high quality 1/8 free floated barrel, Geissele trigger and heavier bullet ammo like 69, 70,75 or 77 grain. The 77 grain IMI razor core is availible at reasonable prices and is stupid accurate.

If Texas made is a factor, I can recommend San Antonio based Sons Of Liberty Gun Works as an alternative to Larue.
    I'm going to look into Sons of Liberty, and thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    You can come see us at Lone Star Armory in Ft Worth about building a TX10. I think we are going to offer a "Truck Gun Heavy" to complement the current "Truck Gun Light", which is authorized by FWPD.
    Sounds like I need to make a trip over to Cow Town.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's also the Benelli R1. It's expensive, and the mags are punishingly so, but you can get 30-06 semi with 10-round mags and in a format that's relatively resistant to historic ban language. (AFAIK, it's not an assault rifle under current CA definitions.)

I picked up an FNAR on clearance and put on Browning Stalker furniture, which makes it no longer an assault rifle in CA, as long as I stick with 10-round mags and leave the 20-rounders in TX.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Old thread, but still on point. Have there been any new developments?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Old thread, but still on point. Have there been any new developments?
    Yes. I ended up buying a Grendel instead. Ammo is hard to find, but it does a number on pigs.

Hopefully, others chime in and actually speak to AR-10s.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a new rifle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek

User Tag List