Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    For the intended purpose, I second the AR-15. If you want to go a little bigger, 6.8 SPC is a solid option that keeps things in the cheap and cheerful world. You can start with an upper and mags.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.
    While the LaRue builder kit I linked is a bit more (if you have them do assembly, test fire, and buy their lower), for about $1800 you can basically have the LaRue (minor assembly required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.
    Agreed on the design's reliability in his conditions. Accuracy is not it's forte and not with ball.

.224 Valkyrie repeater would be interesting.

What is the Colt 6920 of the AR 10 world?
    The FAL. Oh, wait................
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

In the $1500 range I would do the build it yourself Larue kit in the caliber of my choice. That said, I've fondled the new Savage 6.5 CM rifle and it handles nice. They failed to stake the castle nut and the gas block is set screwed, but then again, so is the Larue kit. Nothing a drill press and pin won't fix, however. For the money, it was lightweight and handy with the 18" CM barrel. I wouldn't trust it as a duty rifle but if it doesn't work from the factory, send it back and have them swap it out.

Me, I'd buy the Larue kit and call it a day, but I have the armorers tools to build it already.

I've been very pleased with my LaRue PredatAR. The only issue I've had is that it wouldn't run with my Silencerco can. They (LaRue) tried helping me diagnose and all but I don't consider it their fault. They did say they will guarantee their rifles to run with their cans or Surefire cans. Plus - you said you're in Texas. The Rangers use LaRue .308's.

If I were shopping today I'd look closely at Mega Arms. They've partnered with Hodge Defense on some things and I have a pre-lawsuit threat (by LMT) monolithic 5.56 upper of theirs that has been great. Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.
    A PTR 91 would be even cheaper; I've actually heard some negative things about recent production DSAs, at least in relation to the price you have to pay for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.
    Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?
    No idea. Didn't realize they entered the competition. When my research a few years ago kept me from buying Marlin lever guide gun because "Remington ruined them" I stopped paying attention to the company. I only knew about the GII because of guys I worked with.

Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.
    Might I suggest the Steyr Scout for that purpose.
    That's pretty much exactly what I use mine for and it's just about perfect when topped with a good 1-6x like a Kahles or Steiner.
    I currently have a Aimpoint T2 on mine for s super fast handling pig whacker in the heavy brush around my brothers house in the mountains.

Attachment 24264
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've been very pleased with my LaRue PredatAR. The only issue I've had is that it wouldn't run with my Silencerco can. They (LaRue) tried helping me diagnose and all but I don't consider it their fault. They did say they will guarantee their rifles to run with their cans or Surefire cans. Plus - you said you're in Texas. The Rangers use LaRue .308's.

If I were shopping today I'd look closely at Mega Arms. They've partnered with Hodge Defense on some things and I have a pre-lawsuit threat (by LMT) monolithic 5.56 upper of theirs that has been great. Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.
    DEA has GOV issued GII’s - I’ve seen three, all GOV issue but they are just hitting the field. Not sure if they can carry them as POW on duty or not.

ICE’s SRT teams recently got a bunch of Remington Defense R4 11.5” select fire carbines. They have been good to go.

I have no doubt the GOV contract GIIs are good to go but I would caution that IME, there is often a large delta in the QC of Remington Defense products for military and LE and Remington Commercial products.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.

User Tag List