Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a new rifle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek
    That is what inspired me. I’m not sure if I wouldn’t do better with a more traditional AR-10, I have a feeling the Ruger is going to have a lot of proprietary parts.

A SIG 716i is tempting, I don’t mind a DI gun and it’s cheap.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That is what inspired me. I’m not sure if I wouldn’t do better with a more traditional AR-10, I have a feeling the Ruger is going to have a lot of proprietary parts.

A SIG 716i is tempting, I don’t mind a DI gun and it’s cheap.
    Quick search, just a few seconds without surfing around -- I am seeing this rifle online for right at $1,500.00. Priced right. It would be nice to hear if any of the PF brethren have one and what their experience has been.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Don't get an Aero! I have one. It is accurate but unreliable whether suppressed or not.

I am looking to replace it with a Sig Sauer 716i Tread. If it is good enough for the Indian Army, it's good enough for me.

Life is too short. Ordered a 716i.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Life is too short. Ordered a 716i.
    Looking forward to the HeavyDuty review. What funs things will you soon be doing with your 716i? (And the clever ones among us please do not say say "shooting it.")
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Looking forward to the HeavyDuty review. What funs things will you soon be doing with your 716i? (And the clever ones among us please do not say say "shooting it.")
    Well, I’m trying to join the local gun club, they have gongs out to 500. I am very fond of the FAL I had built fifteen or so years ago, but FALs aren’t great scoped rifles. I have a 1-6 sitting here doing nothing, so my thinking is that it will end up as a LPVO equipped battlerifleish toy for ringing gongs. Basically, just something I’ve wanted for awhile.
    Ken

Basically, just something I’ve wanted for awhile.
    Awesome.

Dredging this back up.
    I read through but saw little info on Daniel Defense options, or on the Barrett Rec10 (assuming one could be found).
    Any opinions?

PSA now owns DPMS and is working on re-launching the GII 308 rifles. Good news for fans of these guns.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've been circling around this topic for a few months now; scouring threads across the internet.

I considered and then discarded the Sig 716i - it does not come with an adjustable gas block; for me would be necessary as I would be shooting it both unsuppressed and suppressed. It appears AR10s are much less forgiving than AR15s are when it comes to gas setup, especially with a suppressor. India adopted it and ordered a ton a few years ago...and just recently cancelled the contract because "Reasons". Now, if those reasons are India being India (who will attempt to copy it and introduce their own vastly inferior version, but be proud about it) or Sig being Sig (maybe sending broken crap that didn't meet the TDP, or substituting stuff from one product line for another)...who knows. If I were never going to shoot this with a can on it, it would honestly probably already be in my safe; everything else about it screams "this is a good buy for what you're getting". Accuracy is ok, reliability is good (unsuppressed), for the moment Sig is supporting it. Now, 5 years from now Sig might drop it, too...and now that India has cancelled their contract, it seems more likely that this will follow the Sig 55x series of guns into the sunset. But, that's just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong.

LMT, LaRue, HK MR762...expensive but available (or at least orderable). The LMT's accuracy has apparently been a bit hit or miss. LaRue is expensive and not really "Walk into a store and buy one" available...not even going to consider KAC; unobtanium and horrifically expensive for what you get. The HK is nice and has a .mil pedigree but it's expensive and not the most accurate from what I'm reading. If I had money coming out of my ears and wanted the last word in AR10 though, it'd probably be a LaRue if I'm honest. At least I can call a number and get a hold of someone, and get parts if I needed to.

GA Precision, and a handful of other manufacturers...again expensive (2500+), waiting for things to be built, etc. Pretty generally well liked on Sniper's Hide though. I looked at the ADM MFG rifles and really liked them.

I think the eventual path I'm going to go down (and already took the first step down) - buying an Aero M5 308/etc lower, building it out to suit...then probably buying an Aero M5E1 built upper from Compass Lake Engineering. The uppers are a little expensive (around 1500+-), but it's built by them, with a known good barrel (Bartlein, Douglas, Krieger, Lilja), it comes with an adjustable gas block, and they're players in the precision game...so the accuracy should be there. Matched bolt, the whole works. That they're building it on an Aero upper is icing on the cake; you can build the lower to suit, and you can save some money and weight there. There's a ton of parts and aftermarket for the Aero/DPMS pattern. The only fly in the ointment is there isn't a whole lot of handguards available for the M5E1's "bayonet" style of handguard mounting...there's a few alternatives but not a whole lot, if you really want to shave some weight off by going for a skeleton handguard.

Edited to add - FWIW - I have a G3k clone (started life as a PTR K3P, 12"whatever inch barrel HK91 clone that I SBRed), a SCAR17, and a bunch of FALs...I like the SCAR so long as it's not suppressed. I haven't really shot it for groups at distance though since I don't really have good glass for it, and when I have had a can on it, what was a golfball sized group at 100 turned into basketball sized. It does NOT like being suppressed, at least not with my Dead Air Sandman-L. The FALs...well, they're FALs. The SCAR does most things better than the FAL does if I'm honest, but the FAL's got a panache the SCAR just can't possess. I also actually really like the PTR 308 shorty...I need to play around with some locking pieces and see if I can get it to comfortably shoot suppressed.

The AR10 though, that is almost purely driven by a precision autoloading rifle want.
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 02-10-2023 at 11:57 AM.

User Tag List