Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

I’d go Seekins.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Oh yeah, that's the thinking man's option. Near or equal to .308 performance in an AR15 sized package.
    #RESIST

When it comes to the AR-10 or AR based 7.62 rifles there is no standardization.

I personally went with the H&K MR762.
    H&K is winning a lot of Mil/LE contracts with the HK417/MR762 platform which means it's closer to being "standard" than most others right now and it's been proven reliable and durable in Mil/LE testing.
    I guess you could say the MR762 is about as close to a 6920 as you're going to get in the 7.62 AR world. It's a civilian version of a military issued rifle from a company who actually makes military rifles and doesn't cut corners on the civilian version (like Colt and the 6920).

I've shot mine to 1000Y (with good 15x glass) on 18" steel plates and any misses were 100% my fault. If I made the correct wind call and a good trigger press the rifle would stack the rounds on target.
    I've also shot it in high round count 3-gun matches with cheap steel cased ammo and it's never malfunctioned.

Downside is you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on one in a very short amount of time and it's a bit of a heavy pig unless you put it on a diet.
    My setup:
    MR762-A1
    Elcan 1.5-6x optic
    Geissele trigger
    CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail (part of the diet plan)
    H&K slim buttstock (part of the diet)
    Colt safety lever (ambi-safety levers chew my finger up)
    Magpul MOE grip (personal preference)

Attachment 24249
    Last edited by JodyH; 03-06-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh yeah, that's the thinking man's option. Near or equal to .308 performance in an AR15 sized package.
    That is actually the .308 builder kit, lol

What's the intended role for the rifle? An extended range carbine? Something that's fairly light and meant to be carried around? Or do you want something that's heavier and built to be set on a bipod or bench? Something meant for more of a precision rifle scenario?

AR 10 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What's the intended role for the rifle? An extended range carbine? Something that's fairly light and meant to be carried around? Or do you want something that's heavier and built to be set on a bipod or bench? Something meant for more of a precision rifle scenario?
    Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 03-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

For that application and budget I'd be looking at one of the cheaper, free float offerings such as DPMS, etc. I believe some manufacturers have made small firing pin the standard now.

If dust is a huge issue there is the ghetto silicone job between upper/lower and other openings. Including one/first mag that you keep in the rifle. Cut apart with razor blade and it can seal decently. Small diameter backer rod can help.

If a homebrew is most cost effective... Some of the guys I respect at Snipers Hide recommend starting with a Rubber City Armory BCG matched with a quality, fitted barrel and go from there.

For your intended purpose, an AR-15 would work just fine.
    A Colt 6920 or similarly well built AR with good ammunition could easily handle the tasks described.
    If you just “want” an AR10, the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit and lower are very nice. You could easily carry it in some type of scabbard to keep it relatively clean. You would be looking at approximately $1800-$1900 plus an optic and QUALITY ammunition.
    A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.
    Last edited by DI1; 03-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.

I'm going to also recommend the HK MR762. It's a very solid rifle, perfect if you're going the DMR route. You'll run into some challenges if you go the Battle Rifle route with it for sure. IF you want to keep it light, the setup above is the way to go. LPVO and trim weight where you can. It's not a super heavy rifle for the record, and you can make it lighter. All AR-10's have weight to them. There's a few that are lighter, but there's more to it than weight. I've found other than the excellent barrel, fit and finish of the HK, it also has excellent dwell time for precision marksmanship. It's longer which gives you an advantage in that arena. You can still shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger, don't get me wrong. But it's a very accurate rifle for a semi auto.

There are other's out there, but I don't have much trigger time behind them. Going the budget AR10 route is potentially dangerous. I've found you've gotta be willing to spend in the $2800-3500 range to get a solid and reliable AR10. I also much prefer the piston AR10's over the DI setups. They get the gas problem into a manageable range. I also really like the HK bolt/carrier. It's made very well and for maximum reliability. And for the first time, I can honestly say an HK isn't the most expensive out there. There's a few out there that are more expensive.

User Tag List