Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

AR 10 Suggestions

What is the Colt 6920 of the AR 10 world? Is there a consensus as to a nice AR 10 that isn’t in the LaRue price range?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

The old LMT MWS with the bazillion inches of 1913 can be found for like 2600 USD new; I'd think the LMTs are by far the most tested AR-10-ish guns out there, besides probably the KAC guns. I would argue that the LMTs are the 6920s of the AR-10 world, but on the basis of the use, and not necessarily the pricing.

Heard mixed reviews on the Colt 901s, but ultimately, it is a Colt.

The Daniel Defense DDV1s can be found for sub-2500 USD.

Haven't heard too much about the PWS MK2s, but PWS has always done right by me on my MK110, and I've not heard any real negatives about them as a company.

The M&P10s are suppose to be a great budget choice, as are the DPMS G2s, but you're getting what you're paying for; they're more like M&P15s than 6920s.

.308 ARs are a strange beast, given the lack of standardization. Lot of companies out there with .308 ARs, some with good reps, some not, but ultimately very few with establish track records on the .308 guns.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    There is no consensus and very little standardization among AR-10s. Certainly no 6920 equivalent.

A good quality AR 10 will be between $2,000 and $3,000.

Below that, best chances are a S&W M&P 10, the Armalite DEF 10 or a build via an Aero M5 receiver set. Not a fan of Aeros complete guns - the small parts not made by Aero and the assembly leave much to be desired.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I went with a PWS Mk216. Have had it about 2 years now. Mostly VERY HAPPY with it but I have had two instances of the bolt release plunger getting stuck in the receiver. The first instance required it going back to Boise mostly due to my stupidity. The second instance I remedied at home and hopefully I am done with this issue. They recently came out with an update version. I have shot honest sub MOA groups out to 200 yards with it and reliability has been good but more prone to user induced malfunction than my 5.56 guns have been. They can be had for about $2400. Looked at LaRue's, Daniel Defense, POF, and LMT and they were either too expensive for me or too heavy or in the case of POF - too edgy. Wanted to look at the Colt but couldn't find one out here in Kalifornia, wanted to like the Smith but could only find the ones without a rail. If I was on a budget I think I would go with the Smith though as they are fairly well reviewed, lighter weight, and can be had for around a grand.

For off the shelf...

LMT MWS is "overgassed" for non-mil and ultimate accuracy. But reliable and decently accurate (see British mil L129A1). Able to be tuned with aftermarket parts and barrels - swap barrel feature is kewl. The LM8 MWS narrowed the handguard and has bolt-on rail accessories.

DPMS, S&W offerings are a good value but not duty grade IMO.

Just ordered a Sig 716 DMR Gen 2 - $2,600

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig716g2-dmr-fde-1.html
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; 03-05-2018 at 12:26 PM.

I have a DD5V1 and am satisfied with it. I was between that and a SCAR. What tipped the scales was a Geissele trigger and long forend from the factory, cheap magpul mags.

Mine I perhaps call would call under gassed or just right, depending on your definition. It wouldn’t run unsupressed with Federal XM80 for a couple of hundred rounds (fail to lock back, etc). Ran fine with PMC, MEN, etc. now that things have worn in it runs great. Shoots about moa for me at 100 yards with XM80 and MEN 147 grains.

I haven’t tried match ammo yet. No gas to face shooting suppressed. It is a little front heavy, I’m considering having the barrel fluted or dimpled to try and trim off some weight.

Overall, I’m happy I have it, it scratches my AR10 itch and is a joy to shoot.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Just ordered a Sig 716 DMR Gen 2 - $2,600

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig716g2-dmr-fde-1.html
    That did win the CANSOF contract for a battle rifle, IIRC, though I'm still wary of Sig on the civilian side.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    That did win the CANSOF contract for a battle rifle, IIRC, though I'm still wary of Sig on the civilian side.
    To be honest Im holding my breath myself... so far Ive read plenty of good about it and have been watching it for awhile now but there isnt a whole lot of reviews specially on the gen 2 which just came out recently

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Piecing together an AR-308 / AR-10 can be a (relatively) cost-effective way of approaching this. I experimented a little a few years ago. Just make sure who ultimately assembles it knows what they're doing: it's not rocket surgery, but the minutia can make a huge difference in the consistent performance of the final product.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List