Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch season 4 April 13

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "The Wire" has little competition in my opinion.
    Do you remember Homicide: Life on the Street, Elliott? Another David Simon series and excellent! The non-fiction book it's based on is super.

Richard Belzer's Munch character got spun off into other NBC shows after HLOTS was cancelled. Come to think of it, I wonder if that character name is an artistic nod the way Harry Bosch is?

Name:  munch_edvard_3.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  30.6 KB
    Last edited by Earlymonk; 04-17-2018 at 03:56 PM.

^^^Yeah, I watched that too.

Who can forget "Adena Watson"...?

Good catch on "The Scream".
    Last edited by blues; 04-17-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Do you remember Homicide: Life on the Street, Elliott? Another David Simon series and excellent! The non-fiction book it's based on is super.

Richard Belzer's Munch character got spun off into other NBC shows after HLOTS was cancelled. Come to think of it, I wonder if that character name is an artistic nod the way Harry Bosch is?

Name:  munch_edvard_3.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  30.6 KB
    I'm like the resident Homicide shill on PF. Andre Braugher as Pembleton was pure gold, especially his interrogation scenes in "the box".
    Munch was actually one of the most prolific and long running characters on TV. From Wikipedia:
    "The character of Munch has appeared in a total of ten series on five networks since the character's debut in 1993. Apart from*Homicideand*SVU, however, Belzer's performances as Munch were guest appearances or crossovers rather than regular or recurring appearances. With Munch's retirement in the character's 22nd season on television, he was a regular character on U.S television longer than*Marshal Matt Dillon*(Gunsmoke) and*Frasier Crane*(Cheersand*Frasier), both of whom were on television for 20 seasons."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Andre Braugher as Pembleton was pure gold, especially his interrogation scenes in "the box".
    So true...

And I knew Munch got around, but wow!

I don’t think The Wire and Bosch play in the same TV sandbox.

Lance Reddick’s quality presence aside, the first show has a bigger picture view of how the legal system interacts with the “criminal system” and the lives in between. It’s a much bigger picture then what Bosch looks at. For one I’m glad for that - it means we see the characters closely where The Wire by necessity had to show a much more distant narrative. Seeing Bunny Colvin fight the stat chasing Baltimore PD management alone could be a whole season of TV.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Do you guys have any idea how many real cops carry their mags backwards?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's right around the same percentage of the "competitors" I see at low-level local USPSA matches with backwards mags, what with how cops are people.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’ve really liked every season of Bosch so far. I always end up binge watching the season and then have to wait a whole year for more. It helped that this season came out right before a weekend off. I don’t think it’s as good of a show as The Wire was but it’s easily on par with Justified. I’ve only read five of the books but Titus Welliver portrays the character as I imagined him in attitude, demeanor and mannerisms.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Justified is entertaining but it not in the same league as Bosch, much less the wire.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-18-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Titus Welliver is great as Bosch.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Totally agree on all counts. When you look at Welliver you don't get any cookie cutter comic book hero stuff. He's not a physical specimen. He doesn't look like he can run a mile after a bad guy or swim underwater for 100 yards.
    ...Titus Welliver portrays the character as I imagined him in attitude, demeanor and mannerisms.
    I completely agree with you guys when it comes to close-ups and tighter shots, particularly when he's not moving. In real life, Welliver has lost three siblings and a wife; I think that world-weariness is all over his face.

What doesn't work (for me) is that Welliver doesn't carry himself like an ex-Unit guy, in fact he doesn't carry himself like an athlete of any type. He has this odd, duck-footed gait that to me is totally incongruent with someone who (once upon a time) had to ask his body to do some serious things. I know there are Tier 1 guys who let themselves go post-retirement, but they still have a grace and physical competency that remains. I get exactly zero of that from Welliver. YMMV.

Then there's the "semi-teacup, fingertips-to-triggerguard Weaver" stuff, but we've already covered some of that.

Don't get me wrong, I DO love the show!

Name:  Bosch.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  33.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    I completely agree with you guys when it comes to close-ups and tighter shots, particularly when he's not moving. In real life, Welliver has lost three siblings and a wife; I think that world-weariness is all over his face.

What doesn't work (for me) is that Welliver doesn't carry himself like an ex-Unit guy, in fact he doesn't carry himself like an athlete of any type. He has this odd, duck-footed gait that to me is totally incongruent with someone who (once upon a time) had to ask his body to do some serious things. I know there are Tier 1 guys who let themselves go post-retirement, but they still have a grace and physical competency that remains. I get exactly zero of that from Welliver. YMMV.

Then there's the "semi-teacup, fingertips-to-triggerguard Weaver" stuff, but we've already covered some of that.

Don't get me wrong, I DO love the show!

Name:  Bosch.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  33.0 KB
    His gait reminds me of someone with hip problems. I can look past the gun handling booboos with this show because it's less about the gun fighting part and more about the story.

I’ve really liked every season of Bosch so far. I always end up binge watching the season and then have to wait a whole year for more. It helped that this season came out right before a weekend off. I don’t think it’s as good of a show as The Wire was but it’s easily on par with Justified. I’ve only read five of the books but Titus Welliver portrays the character as I imagined him in attitude, demeanor and mannerisms.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    The Wire is in a league of it's own. Justified was great for what it was, an "as edgy as we can make it and still show it on FX" show adapted form an Elmore Leonard novel.

User Tag List