Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch season 4 April 13

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    As far as Bosch goes, it's definitely one of my favorite shows. I like the books, but the show is better for me. Titus Welliver is great as Bosch. Even though there is a little plot mixing, I feel like they're using the best books as plots for the show.
    Totally agree on all counts. When you look at Welliver you don't get any cookie cutter comic book hero stuff. He's not a physical specimen. He doesn't look like he can run a mile after a bad guy or swim underwater for 100 yards. You get a guy who's dogged and determined to see a case through and unwilling to compromise and kiss ass.

What ultimately turned me away from the books some years ago was that they lost the ring of authenticity about them as they turned Bosch into something approaching superhuman, despite his getting a whupping or two. This Bosch is anything but...he's flawed but in ways that are all too human...and he's not the prototypical booze hound chasing skirts all night. (Not that there's anything wrong with it. ) He's every man.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Do you mean like this?

Exactly like that! Like I said, no real reason it should bother me. It just does.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Exactly like that! Like I said, no real reason it should bother me. It just does.
    The problem with that technique is, most who use it, do it wrong. You really need to lock down on the trigger guard. Most people I see doing that, I see the finger come off the guard under recoil, which is ineffective. For most, it's easier / better / more effective to use what is more common among the top shooters.

I remember talking about this in the season 3 thread, but Bosch wears his spare magazines bullets-backwards, and it really annoys me. I was looking this season and every actor playing a plainclothes cop who has spare mags visible wears them bullets-backwards. The show armorer needs a talking-to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have found that in books with the same characters, that after number four I either get tired of them, or they get ridiculous. Bosch, Longmire, Jack Ryan, the same with all of them.

My wife still reads Bosch, so I asked her about the books used for season 4, and it sounded like the show has done a better job with later stories. Of course she doesn't like the show because they co-mingled plots, so YMMV.
    Same with Jack Reacher.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Totally agree on all counts. When you look at Welliver you don't get any cookie cutter comic book hero stuff. He's not a physical specimen. He doesn't look like he can run a mile after a bad guy or swim underwater for 100 yards. You get a guy who's dogged and determined to see a case through and unwilling to compromise and kiss ass.

What ultimately turned me away from the books some years ago was that they lost the ring of authenticity about them as they turned Bosch into something approaching superhuman, despite his getting a whupping or two. This Bosch is anything but...he's flawed but in ways that are all too human...and he's not the prototypical booze hound chasing skirts all night. (Not that there's anything wrong with it. ) He's every man.
    That's why I like The Rockford Files. Jim Rockford was a tough guy, but he wasnt the toughest guy and he occasionally got his ass kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That's why I like The Rockford Files. Jim Rockford was a tough guy, but he wasnt the toughest guy and he occasionally got his ass kicked.
    You know, I always liked James Garner from his "Maverick" days when I was a kid. Apparently, The Rockford Files was created by Roy Huggins (with Stephen J. Cannell) who wanted to recreate the feel of the old show in a more modern setting.
    Last edited by blues; 04-16-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I remember talking about this in the season 3 thread, but Bosch wears his spare magazines bullets-backwards, and it really annoys me. I was looking this season and every actor playing a plainclothes cop who has spare mags visible wears them bullets-backwards. The show armorer needs a talking-to.
    There was a lot of LE gear in the wrong place, and there were some patrol officers that I'm sure were real LAPD.

If you want an idea of what Hollywood can really do to fuck up books, read Eight Million Ways to Die and then watch the movie, or the movie versions of the Davenport series.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Do you guys have any idea how many real cops carry their mags backwards? “Unique” places for gear? Interesting TV shooting techniques. All the jacked up gear is technically accurate. I think Welliver did good considering I noticed he is actually left handed. I worked a movie exactly once. Never again. It isn’t about getting it right, so don’t blame the armorers and technical advisors, it isn’t always them. Also keep in mind one of the most prolific social media gun people out there perpetuates backwards magazines as the way it’s done. The difference between Pincus and an actor is Pincus should know better.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Do you guys have any idea how many real cops carry their mags backwards? “Unique” places for gear? Interesting TV shooting techniques. All the jacked up gear is technically accurate. I think Welliver did good considering I noticed he is actually left handed. I worked a movie exactly once. Never again. It isn’t about getting it right, so don’t blame the armorers and technical advisors, it isn’t always them. Also keep in mind one of the most prolific social media gun people out there perpetuates backwards magazines as the way it’s done. The difference between Pincus and an actor is Pincus should know better.
    I am just happy when I can:

1) Get my people to actually carry spare mags
    2) they have them facing in the same direction

User Tag List