Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any updates to your “not a gun” recommendations?

Any updates to your “not a gun” recommendations?

Hi, all: Wondering about guns/carry methods you'd recommend lately for the most serious sort of tucked-shirt NPE? We are not talking just “lose your job” consequences, but more likely “lose any chance of finding another job in the field you’ve been in for 25 years” consequences.

In the “how” department, I’m thinking SmartCarry, but I’m open to your suggestions. (I know there are a fair number of fanny pack fans 'round these parts, but that's a no-go in my circumstances.)

As to "what,” I’ve run more than a few searches and J-frame/LCR seems to be the perennial hotness. However, lots of those recommendations pre-date the current PX4c love, so I’m wondering if many would give the Beretta the nod these days instead?

Then again, if there are suddenly 100 votes for an LCP or some other mousegun, I’ll listen to that advice too!

I know a guy that wears khakis and a tucked polo tucked every day. Everyday he carries either a glock 26 or 43 in a smart carry. Of course since this is in the revolver section you may consider a j frame or even a k frame in same holster.

Thanks for the reply, CD.
    I'm open to either revolver or semi-auto, I just put it here because the wheel guns seem ahead in my browsing of the "historical record."

Any updates to your “not a gun” recommendations?

If the consequences for being made are as severe as you say, a G43 in a Smart Carry or some kind of belly band would be my choice. The draw would be slow but it’s the only carry method I’d trust wouldn’t get busted in a shirt and tie NPE. I wouldn’t even risk pocket carrying because people in the office might wonder what the weird buldge is in your pocket. The people at work with every day might notice that nothing ever goes into or comes out of that pocket and start asking questions. Claude Werner has written some good things about this topic. There’s also a great thread on TPI titled Building Bruce Wayne that addresses some of these issues.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 02-27-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks, Dan. Helpful stuff.
    I was pretty captivated by "Building Bruce Wayne," even when it started to be more about Craig's closet than guns.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I carried a gov't 1911 in a SmartCarry when I worked IT. I always figured if a man noticed any bulge they would pretend they didn't and if a woman did she'd be suitable impressed.

Obviously build and clothing dependent, but I found width harder to conceal then length (giggity) and the 1911 was much easier to carry than a double stack CZ.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I would suggest Smart Carry. Carried a P30 for several years that way, in locatiions that would lead to termination of 7 figure contracts to my employer. Never outed. Practice your bathroom procedure, and place your member opposite the barrel to minimize pinching.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...I found width harder to conceal then length (giggity)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ...Practice your bathroom procedure, and place your member opposite the barrel to minimize pinching.
    P-F gold. Thanks, fellas!

I work in the IT industry, carry a full size semi in a shoulder holster under a button down type shirt (snaps not buttons). Adjusted high and rests practically in my armpit. No one has ever noticed. Can draw and fire in 0.9-1.2 of a second

Site Supporter
    In a true NPE, any chance of getting caught is unacceptable. So, you want the smallest and lightest thing you can get and still have reasonable accuracy, firepower, and stopping by power. Notice I said reasonable, not ideal.

I would recommend a Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. Carry it in a front pocket holster. If you choose Kel-Tec, switch the recoil springs to Wolff 13 lb. springs.

Consider folding about 4 sheets of copy paper into a rectangle, and placing this in front of the holster to serve as an anti-print panel, of the holster does not already have one. Favorite holsters include DeSantis SuperFly, the Tuff Products holster with the spare magazine pouch, and the Aholster, with the hook by the rear sight rounded off and covered with moleskin.

If the draw is too slow, as it would be for smart carry or a belly band under a tucked in shirt, the gun might not do you any good. Ankle holsters are a bad choice because pants legs can rise up when seated, or when entering or exiting a car.

If there is any chance you might be asked to empty your pockets, I would suggest Smart Carry despite my concerns about draw speed.

Have a way to secure the gun out of sight in case you need to go somewhere that you cannot legally carry it.

Buy pleated pants in “relaxed fit” to have a bit more bagginess in the pocket.

Keep your mouth shut at all times and with all people. Telling the wrong person is the easiest way to get busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List