Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Five Yard Problem

Site Supporter

The Five Yard Problem

The Five Yard Problem

Of almost 70 student involved shootings, almost 90% occurred in the 3-5 yard distance envelope. If we make it 3-7 yards, that covers over 92% of the incidents. The FBI and DEA have found very similar results in their agent involved shootings. Five yards is about one car length, and is a very common engagement distance.

SWAT Magazine just published an excellent article on how to practice for engagements at this distance and how to measure and gauge your skill in this critical area. See https://www.swatmag.com/article/five...86&vsoid=A9486

I like it! I’m probably a weirdo with this, but 5-7 yards is where I practice the most since two of the ranges I frequent have short (10 yard) indoor ranges.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I like it! I’m probably a weirdo with this, but 5-7 yards is where I practice the most since two of the ranges I frequent have short (10 yard) indoor ranges.

civiliandefender.com
    You're not alone, brother. At my neighbor's range, I normally set things up to shoot predominantly from 10 yards and in.

He has everything from plate rack and dueling tree to pepper poppers and other reactive, and standard B8 and B27 style qualification targets.

(I maintain sufficient distance (and angle) from the steel targets to keep getting dinged by ricochets to a minimum.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Splendid drill.

Thank you, Tom.

Excellent!

Tom forgive me if you have been asked this before, but what are your thoughts on Red dot sights for a defensive handgun? You probably see a lot come through your courses. This typical engagement distances would seem to strongly favor traditional iron sights.

Thanks for your input

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Justin is legit. Glad to see he's getting his name out there more.
    3/15/2016

Great drill; I will add this to my usual set of practices that I use for metrics (The Test, FYL, 25 yd). I really like that it is 10 rounds on a B-8.

My only limitation is that my usual range does not allow draw from the holster, so I will have to subtract some time for that and shoot the first shot from low ready.

Site Supporter
    I like it!

Good info.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't 7 yards the minimum reaction distance for an assailant?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List