Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great deal on Aguila 9mm 124g FMJ

I spoke to Kyle Armstrong on the phone today (one of Bill's instructors) and exchanged email with Bill subsequently. TMJ is the preferred ammo, and Bill has something like 150,000 rounds of Blazer 147 TMJ on hand.

Put 100 rounds of the Aguila through my M&P 9c at the range last night. No stoppages to report.

POI is higher than with the Federal Champion I had been using. Wonder if this is a result of the "hotter" load in the Aguila?

The Aguila is also 124 grain, while the Federal Champion I had been shooting is 115 grain. I know nothing of ballistics, just throwing this out there.

As far as I could tell, the Aguila shoots cleaner than the Federal Champion. The casings are also crimped, which was a nice touch.

Wonder if this is a result of the "hotter" load in the Aguila?
    All things being equal, hotter ammo prints lower - it gets out of the barrel sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    All things being equal, hotter ammo prints lower - it gets out of the barrel sooner.
    Weird. POI was definitely higher than with the 115g Federal Champion. It could have been human error but I'm relatively confident it wasn't, as the POI/POA deviation was consistent across my entire range session.

At any rate, it wasn't bad enough to mess me up and I adjusted rather quickly. My overall assessment of the cartridge is positive. I'll definitely buy more.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    The casings are also crimped, which was a nice touch.
    What do you mean by crimped?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What do you mean by crimped?
    Crimp:

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I spoke to Kyle Armstrong on the phone today (one of Bill's instructors) and exchanged email with Bill subsequently. TMJ is the preferred ammo, and Bill has something like 150,000 rounds of Blazer 147 TMJ on hand.
    FYI. The Speer TMJ bullets are actually plated.

This is a little misleading to some because TMJ = total metal jacket and most don't think of a plating as a jacket.

Weird. POI was definitely higher than with the 115g Federal Champion. It could have been human error but I'm relatively confident it wasn't, as the POI/POA deviation was consistent across my entire range session.

At any rate, it wasn't bad enough to mess me up and I adjusted rather quickly. My overall assessment of the cartridge is positive. I'll definitely buy more.
    I shot some Federal Champion 9mm 115 yesterday, and it found like it was loaded to equal the power factor of a pellet gun. It was lousy on my small 50 yard steel, where WWB banged away on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shot some Federal Champion 9mm 115 yesterday, and it found like it was loaded to equal the power factor of a pellet gun. It was lousy on my small 50 yard steel, where WWB banged away on it.
    Glad I'm not alone. I think once I finish this case of Champion, I'll switch exclusively to Aguila or Sellier Bellot.

Crimp:
    Interesting.

As a reloader, that is not a crimp, at least how I understand it.

Don't know what to call it though.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List