Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics for pro-gun social media posts.

Site Supporter

Graphics for pro-gun social media posts.

Over the years I've un-followed a lot of people on social media for excessive political posts, but I continue to follow a few people with whom I mostly disagree but still count as friends. One of these people has gone over the top with anti-gun posts in the last week, and it's gotten to the point that it's really annoying me. I have trouble knowing how to respond. On one extreme, I could just say nothing. On the other, I could have a public rant and "unfriend" him. Neither seems like the right option. This friend and I are both scientists, so we're comfortable arguing about data.

With that in mind, I dug out a graphic I prepared a few years ago, and put together a new one this afternoon. I think that both of these figures are relatively straightforward and easy to interpret. I am going to judiciously use them in my social media postings and welcome others to do the same. If anyone else has thoughtful graphics that could benefit our cause, please share them here. I prefer that people not share highly partisan or condescending graphics as those do nothing to expand our base. As per Glenn's comments in several other threads, we need to work more on outreach and not simply bolster those who already feel as strongly as we do.

Name:  Data 1 [per 100K].jpg
Views: 927
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  guns vs homicide.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  42.9 KB

I should revise the second figure so that it needs less explanation, but I can't find the file where I saved the numbers. The data came from two separate Wikipedia pages, and getting the data into Excel was awfully tedius. In short, each dot is a country.

I practice distance from disorder, so I'd probably just unfollow... but then again I can't really afford any extra aggravation at this point.

Name:  homicide only blacks whites.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  78.7 KB

I wouldn't post this on social media, but whenever someone claims the US has a high homicide rate or that our gun laws are why we have so many homicides....

Edit: didn't mean to post that second image but not sure how to delete it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 02-25-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    I practice distance from disorder, so I'd probably just unfollow... but then again I can't really afford any extra aggravation at this point.
    I have mixed emotions. One the one hand, I feel like I've wasted my entire afternoon in an extended Facebook dialogue. On the other hand, I feel like I should not be in the online closet, so to speak, regarding my support for the 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I have mixed emotions. One the one hand, I feel like I've wasted my entire afternoon in an extended Facebook dialogue. On the other hand, I feel like I should not be in the online closet, so to speak, regarding my support for the 2A.
    "...To sign your name where everyone can see it."

This comparison of murders in some tightly controlled "gun free zones" is from "Brady Grades vs Crime Rates. 2010 -2011" (February 2013). You can read the whole thing, with data and sources, here.

This one was made in response to one of our state senators telling a rape victim that she was too stupid to weigh the risks vs benefits of carrying a gun to protect herself, and should therefore be denied the right to make that choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Name:  homicide only blacks whites.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  78.7 KB

I wouldn't post this on social media, but whenever someone claims the US has a high homicide rate or that our gun laws are why we have so many homicides....

Edit: didn't mean to post that second image but not sure how to delete it
    We must be careful about how we discuss race. I'm the least PC person I know but things should be put in to perspective. The point your graph makes is that culture matters and that some cultures are better than others. The wonderful thing is people can change their culture/values, and that's what America is all about.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 02-28-2018 at 05:46 AM.

User Tag List