Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro AR-15 arguments

Site Supporter
    There's not a ban anywhere that would touch pump shotguns and .38 revolvers.
    Look to Australia for such a ban. Then there was a move to lever action shotguns and a ban on them. Carry of revolvers is not allowed in Australia anyway.

I think the point is made that messaging that is well research and reaches beyond the core constituency should be a priority for the NRA.

When evil comes to your synagogue, is the best response a rock laid down at Auschwitz by Gov. Cuomo? Does that keep you 'SAFE'?

Site Supporter
    Here is a good article from Dave Kopel.

The Ninth Circuit case Rupp v. Becerra challenges the California legislature's ban on a wide of variety of rifles. Last week, I co-authored an amicus brief explaining: 1. Supreme Court precedents state that common arms cannot be banned. 2. Lower courts have used several methodologies to decide whether a type of arm is "common"; under any methodology, the arms targeted by California plainly are common. Therefore, prohibition is unconstitutional.

https://reason.com/2020/02/12/what-arms-are-common/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Here is a good article from Dave Kopel.

The Ninth Circuit case Rupp v. Becerra challenges the California legislature's ban on a wide of variety of rifles. Last week, I co-authored an amicus brief explaining: 1. Supreme Court precedents state that common arms cannot be banned. 2. Lower courts have used several methodologies to decide whether a type of arm is "common"; under any methodology, the arms targeted by California plainly are common. Therefore, prohibition is unconstitutional.

https://reason.com/2020/02/12/what-arms-are-common/
    Wish the Fourth Circuit would get reversed on Kolbe v. Hogan.
    This case, I believe, is the basis for the Virginia Communists to sell their AWB nonsense bill.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pretty sure this situation was mentioned, but this video lays things out better than I've seen before. Posted just a few days ago.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I like to compare the AR to the Jeep. Both were designed specifically for fighting in war. Both were used very successfully. Both came home and found millions of peaceful uses, working hard and playing hard, because they are simply the best tool for the job and for the game.

"Nobody needs that much off-pavement mobility!"

It occurs to me that the left also wants to ban Jeeps, except the ones they drive...

Similar arguments could be made for other areas of technology transfer.
    Jeeps. Being solds as off road vehicles.

Mostly it's Polaris RZR's these days in the UT outback. Or some other side by side like the recovery folks label them. Someone who buys a Rubicon isn't going to roll a 50K vehicle when they can rent a RZR for $1200 for 3 days of stupid fun. Lets see what this baby can do? Oops, we broke a tie rod. We had the insurance so no big deal. It's like driving a rental in Mexico. Buy all of the insurance they offer because they drive like it's a demolition derby

Jeeps are primarily pavement or graded gravel road vehicles.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Just to keep us from getting confused and mis-speaking when not among like-minded individuals...

Sutherland Springs was the church shooting where the guy stopped shooting up the church when his Ruger AR-pattern rifle jammed. He was engaged by the good Samaritan while returning to his vehicle.

Santa Fe was the school shooting where the kid used a shotgun and revolver.
    The Sutherland Springs shooter’s AR did not “jam” he exhausted his ammunition supply and was returning to his vehicle for more ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have an idea. Everyone buy a 20 rd magazine and send a copy of the receipt to your state legislators and your congress folks. Heck, send one to Joe also.

Make sure you tell them that if they put anymore restrictions on magazines you will buy two more. Any more AR restrictions and you will buy a DD rifle before the law goes into effect.
    I know you are just semi-joking with that idea; but actions like that might get you put on watch lists or even get a visit from Law Enforcement entities.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Seriously, there isn't anything that will turn this around. We're pissing against the wind.
    I fear that you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I know you are just semi-joking with that idea; but actions like that might get you put on watch lists or even get a visit from Law Enforcement entities.

I fear that you are right.
    This. Be careful what you post online. Over at Calguns (California gun enthusiast website), it is monitored by California DOJ.

I saw a thing on IG this weekend, but wasn't at a place to watch it and then of course couldn't find it when I tried to go back later, but it was based on the premise, "Americans have always had guns. Why are mass/school shootings all of a sudden such a thing in the last 15-20 years?"

Anyone have any insight into this thought? I actually had the thought myself a few days ago, which is why I wanted to see what the person was saying.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I saw a thing on IG this weekend, but wasn't at a place to watch it and then of course couldn't find it when I tried to go back later, but it was based on the premise, "Americans have always had guns. Why are mass/school shootings all of a sudden such a thing in the last 15-20 years?"

Anyone have any insight into this thought? I actually had the thought myself a few days ago, which is why I wanted to see what the person was saying.
    The answer is a combination of the fact that we have had these types of attacks and contagion effect. With more coverage of these types of attacks, additional potential attackers see them as a possibility. But, we have had them for some time. They just didn't receive the type of news coverage that they do now.

This CRS report is starting to get a little dated, but it is likely the best available database of these attacks. https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/R44126.pdf

User Tag List