Thread: Felt muzzle blast effects of 14 inch shotguns

Felt muzzle blast effects of 14 inch shotguns

Never having fired a 14 inch barrel shotgun; I have to wonder what the muzzle blast is like to the shooter, particularly indoors? I've fired 18.5 inch ported shotguns if those could be used as any sort of comparison.
    I'm aware that shotgun powder tends to be fast burning, maybe it's NOT like a grenade going off? People obviously use and like these things but it seems there would be a downside here.

I have noted nothing bad shooting slugs out of 14 inch barrels, as long as they are not ported. A ported 14 inch barrel makes too much noise, too close to my ear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    At least while wearing ear pro, I don’t perceive any difference between shooting a 14 or 18 inch barreled 870, except for increased muzzle flash in low light with the shorter barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We've issued 14" 870s since '04. Sadly, the majority of our shooting is on an indoor range. I am not noticing any adverse issues from them being shot in there. Our OISs with them have all been outdoors though.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It's not as loud as ported. No real experience indoors with one, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Thanks for the real world replies. It appears that the training aspects of 14 inch barrel muzzle blast are a non-event.

How much velocity is lost/gained from 14 to 18.5"? With both full, and LR ammunition? Anyone every chronograph it, or will this be a project I need to undertake for the community when my SBS clears?

Lots of time shooting the 14" 870's indoors. Can't really tell the difference between 14" and 18". Never shot a ported one.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

We have issued 14" guns since I cam on the job. I can't tell the difference between a short shotgun and a long one in terms of noise/blast. They are a little more handy indoors and in vehicles, a bit easier to swing around too... but at the cost of capacity.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List