Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 causes me physical pain...am I doing it wrong?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    mtbkr, I have a Kydex IWB holster with a single belt clip that I carry a PPQ in everyday. I carry it just behind 3 o'clock. The holster sits a little high and has a bit of a forward cant. I have skinny arms, skinnier legs, a flat butt and a pot belly. I have to wear my pants low, or I'll look like Tweedle Dum.

The most comfortable way to wear my pistol is with the holster is under the belt but outside the pants. It may not work for you, but you could give it a try.

I forgot to say that I usually wear a long tee shirt and add an unbuttoned flannel in cool weather. I wear my pistol like this everywhere- driving, hiking, walking, working in the yard and so on.
    I've heard of people wearing the IWB holsters inside the belt, but outside the pants. That always struck me as counterproductive as you lose the main benefit of IWB, which is to hide the bulk of the gun inside your pants. I'll give it a try though. If it's more comfortable, I can deal with the reduced coverage. I tend to do the t-shirt and flannel in cooler weather as well, though I'm hoping to get IWB working so I can get by with a loose t-shirt in warm weather. NoVA summers are hot and humid.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I have a couple pics that show how the JMCK OWB is fitting. I think the leading belt loop could use a wing with some bend in order to track my waist a bit better. At 3-o'clock, it's pulling away from my waist slightly, but really presses on my hipbone. At 3:30, it's gaping even worse, but is more comfortable while standing (grip is a bit behind my back when sitting).

3:00-
    Name:  300.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  13.6 KB

3:30-
    Name:  330.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  14.9 KB

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've heard of people wearing the IWB holsters inside the belt, but outside the pants. That always struck me as counterproductive as you lose the main benefit of IWB, which is to hide the bulk of the gun inside your pants.
    The bottom of the holster isn't covered by your pants, but the belt does help to smooth the holster's outline while holding everything closer to the body. It also gives you the option of carrying "OWB" without having to buy an OWB holster.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-25-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have a couple pics that show how the JMCK OWB is fitting. I think the leading belt loop could use a wing with some bend in order to track my waist a bit better. At 3-o'clock, it's pulling away from my waist slightly, but really presses on my hipbone. At 3:30, it's gaping even worse, but is more comfortable while standing (grip is a bit behind my back when sitting).

3:00-
    Name:  300.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  13.6 KB

3:30-
    Name:  330.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  14.9 KB

Chris
    Chris, what is happening is your are trying to get the holster and pistol to "turn the corner". The lower pic tucks the grip nicely, but the upper pic, if it had a gun in it, would probably tuck the slide nicely but let the grip move away from your body. I can send you some spacer to ride between the front loop and the holster body, it will help you get "around the corner" a bit easier. You may need to switch to a leather OWB holster, if you are dead set on carrying OWB. Leather will contour to your body better. Or try appendix or strong side IWB. Let me know if you want those spacers (email me please) or if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    Looking at those pictures makes me think a Kydex IWB holster with a minimalist design and the belt loops directly over the holster might work best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Looking at those pictures makes me think a Kydex IWB holster with a minimalist design and the belt loops directly over the holster might work best.
    That would be the BC DOS that I already have. As I said above, depending on the position, I can be comfortable sitting or standing, but not both.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Chris, what is happening is your are trying to get the holster and pistol to "turn the corner". The lower pic tucks the grip nicely, but the upper pic, if it had a gun in it, would probably tuck the slide nicely but let the grip move away from your body. I can send you some spacer to ride between the front loop and the holster body, it will help you get "around the corner" a bit easier. You may need to switch to a leather OWB holster, if you are dead set on carrying OWB. Leather will contour to your body better. Or try appendix or strong side IWB. Let me know if you want those spacers (email me please) or if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks
    Thanks!

Email inbound...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Material has nothing to do with it, it’s almost certainly holster design, trouser height, and belt construction.
    This. What kind of belt are you using?

I'm not opposed to trying other holsters, but I'd like to avoid a box full of failed attempts.
    Highly unlikely...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This. What kind of belt are you using?
    Rafter S Gunleather 1.5" belt I've had and used for 16 years. The pics above are with this belt.
    Beltman 1.5" bullhide with internal stiffener. I've owned and used this one for about 5 years.

Both support other guns just fine.

Chris

I've carried a 5" 1911, 3:30 IWB for many years now. Even with the same model holster, I can't carry the commander, which is .75" shorter. The bundle of nerves the shorter gun presses on gives me severe pain. There's lots of great info in this thread, but sometimes it's just the gun.

User Tag List