Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 causes me physical pain...am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Not the gun itself, just trying to CCW with it.

I've tried:
    Glock Factory OWB (not bad for such a cheap item): rides a bit low and doesn't feel secure
    Galco Snap-on: doesn't hold the gun tight to my body, prints too much.
    JMCK OWB 2: secure, but bottom end presses against my hip something fierce and causes me physical pain after wearing it all day. It feels like it pulls my pants oddly as well (as in twists them around a bit).
    Bravo Company DOS IWB: I can chose comfort while standing or comfort while sitting, but not both. Have tried AIWB and IWB closer to 3-o'clock.

I use these with one of two belts, both are semi-custom gun belts (mainly with my stiffener-equipped 1.5" Beltman belt). Part of my problem is that I'm not a big guy at 5'10" and 175lbs, and not very deep front-to-back, so it's challenging to conceal the Glock. Also, what excess mass I have (dad bod) is situated between my beltline and ribcage, which tends to push the gun out.

I don't have patience or money to go on a holster safari. I thought the JMCK was going to be my solution, but apparently not. I need to determine what I'm doing wrong so I can effectively carry this gun.

Thoughts?

Chris
    Chris, let me know if it is the front belt loop on the OWB2 holster, or if it is the bottom of the holster itself. If it is the belt loop, I can send a replacement that has the corner ground off, that may help. You can also send me some pics and I can see if maybe it needs bent more or something else. You say your not very deep front to back, which means anything carried in the 3-3:30 ish position is going to be tough. Sounds to me like you need to carry a bit further back, or go to appendix with a pad or wedge to help comfort. I don't know how long you have had my OWB2, but if it is still within the 2 week trial period we can do some swapping or a refund. Let me know, thanks.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Chris, let me know if it is the front belt loop on the OWB2 holster, or if it is the bottom of the holster itself. If it is the belt loop, I can send a replacement that has the corner ground off, that may help. You can also send me some pics and I can see if maybe it needs bent more or something else. You say your not very deep front to back, which means anything carried in the 3-3:30 ish position is going to be tough. Sounds to me like you need to carry a bit further back, or go to appendix with a pad or wedge to help comfort. I don't know how long you have had my OWB2, but if it is still within the 2 week trial period we can do some swapping or a refund. Let me know, thanks.
    I don’t know how many of Tony’s holsters I have (5-7?), but you can see why.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I have 4, because they work, are extremely well made, and Tony is a great guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    I'm not sure I follow how the belt loop can be an issue. I'll have to take a look at it while I'm wearing it to see if the belt loop is contacting where I feel pain. I'll try to get some pics later today
    As for positioning, I've tried moving it fore and aft a bit. If I go too far back, it interferes with sitting in chairs or it prints terribly. I appreciate the swap/refund offer, but I bought this holster 2nd-hand over a year ago. Besides, I don't think there's a defect with the holster.

Chris

mtnbkr, I may be reading your OP wrong, but it seems like all the holsters you’ve mentioned are for strong side carry. Have you considered AIWB? I share your problem of not being able to comfortably pull off 3-4 o’clock carry because of anatomy. Granted, I carried a P220 OWB for years in a Galco leather holster, but I find that combination rather uncomfortable these days. Conversely, I carry a G19 AIWB daily now with no issues if the holster is right. Perhaps it might be something to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    mtnbkr, I may be reading your OP wrong, but it seems like all the holsters you’ve mentioned are for strong side carry. Have you considered AIWB? I share your problem of not being able to comfortably pull off 3-4 o’clock carry because of anatomy. Granted, I carried a P220 OWB for years in a Galco leather holster, but I find that combination rather uncomfortable these days. Conversely, I carry a G19 AIWB daily now with no issues if the holster is right. Perhaps it might be something to explore.
    Correct, they're all designed for strong side carry. The Bravo Concealment holster is the only IWB and, according to the manufacturer, can be used for AIWB. I've tried that as well (hence my comments on comfort with standing vs sitting). I'm not opposed to trying other holsters, but I'd like to avoid a box full of failed attempts.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have 4, because they work, are extremely well made, and Tony is a great guy.
    What a bunch of suck-ups! So, just because I only have three doesn't mean daddy loves you more! I'm tellin' mom!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Correct, they're all designed for strong side carry. The Bravo Concealment holster is the only IWB and, according to the manufacturer, can be used for AIWB. I've tried that as well (hence my comments on comfort with standing vs sitting). I'm not opposed to trying other holsters, but I'd like to avoid a box full of failed attempts.

Chris
    FWIW, I have a Bravo Torsion Holster. I can get by with it running a single clip, but I just don’t have the real estate available on my waistline to run it with both clips without the medial clip being pretty much 12:00. With AIWB, I have found a narrower profile holster to work better, but I legitimately wear a 30” belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbkr, I have a Kydex IWB holster with a single belt clip that I carry a PPQ in everyday. I carry it just behind 3 o'clock. The holster sits a little high and has a bit of a forward cant. I have skinny arms, skinnier legs, a flat butt and a pot belly. I have to wear my pants low, or I'll look like Tweedle Dum.

The most comfortable way to wear my pistol is with the holster is under the belt but outside the pants. It may not work for you, but you could give it a try.

I forgot to say that I usually wear a long tee shirt and add an unbuttoned flannel in cool weather. I wear my pistol like this everywhere- driving, hiking, walking, working in the yard and so on.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-25-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    FWIW, I have a Bravo Torsion Holster. I can get by with it running a single clip, but I just don’t have the real estate available on my waistline to run it with both clips without the medial clip being pretty much 12:00. With AIWB, I have found a narrower profile holster to work better, but I legitimately wear a 30” belt.
    I've tried my BC with a single clip, but it feels very unstable. Granted, I've only tried it around the house.

30" belt, you sound like my BIL.

Chris

User Tag List