Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Keyring

Site Supporter

EDC Keyring

What do you guys use and what do you carry key-wise?

I don't have a lot on mine, but due to the ever-increasing size of modern automobile keys (my auto stable spans 1997-2013), my keyring is borderline ridiculous for pocket carry. I currently have house key, truck key (thin and simple), minivan key (transponder, so slightly chunky), hatchback key (built in remote, ridiculously large), a fenix EO5 flashlight, and my gym's membership card.

I tried running two separate rings, one with the van and truck key, a housekey, and a small flashlight, and another with the same gear, but just the car key. That worked, but still felt a bit bulky in my pocket. I've tried storing my keys in the MilSpec Monkey Key Pouch, which was great until I tried to add my car key. It's too wide to nestle down properly (case narrows at one end). It works if I put the car key in backwards, but then it's not connected to anything. I may end up replacing the key+remote for the car with a plain key, but that makes getting into the car a bit more tedious as there's only one physical key lock on the car and the only way to unlock all doors is to open the one door, reach in and punch a dash-mounted unlock button for the rest. Yeah, first world problems...

So, what do you do to manage your keys and do you carry them in your pocket or something else?

Chris

Let's see... I have four or five keys to my property alone. Then there's the vehicle key, flashlight, a pen of course, a handy little screwdriver... That's about it, when I'm not at work. Work keys are a separate bunch.

I keep my keys and stuff on a plastic carabiner, which I clip onto my belt loop. The keys (and stuff) are inside my pocket so not much is showing, but they don't end up a jumbled mess at the bottom of my pocket, and remain easily and quickly accessible.

Generic mini carabiner, small lanyard I made out of 550 and a copper bead, Steel Flame Crusader dog tag with my last name on it, and the key to my 4Runner on a small split-ring. That's it.

Generally clipped to to the inside of my left pocket.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Here is how I carry my keys. Simple key ring for the car keys and a JRC leather key holder for the rest. They all go in my pocket.
    Name:  IMG_2940.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  100.7 KB

I never keep my vehicle key attached to anything else. Besides the extra weight can be hard on the ignition lock, I dont want to give away anything extra if my ride gets appropriated somehow. Keeping the door remote separate also ensures i wont lock the keys in the truck. A spare non-chipped key also helps in that regard.

Main keys on a pair of rings with a large blanket pin fob in the pocket, truck key in vest pocket or same pants pocket if no vest. Remote on a cord around my neck under my shirt.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    All of my vehicle keys are on their own dedicated ring, along with remote if applicable. I have a hook rack that holds them, and I just take the correct one for whatever I'm going to drive.

Then I have a Fosters leather coin sap with house key and alarm remote.

Then I have my work key ring, with a total of 6 keys counting the handcuff key and a remote.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Let's see... I have four or five keys to my property alone. Then there's the vehicle key, flashlight, a pen of course, a handy little screwdriver... That's about it, when I'm not at work. Work keys are a separate bunch.

I keep my keys and stuff on a plastic carabiner, which I clip onto my belt loop. The keys (and stuff) are inside my pocket so not much is showing, but they don't end up a jumbled mess at the bottom of my pocket, and remain easily and quickly accessible.
    I've considered that and may have to go that route, but I hate how it looks. I just don't like stuff attached to my belt if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Generic mini carabiner, small lanyard I made out of 550 and a copper bead, Steel Flame Crusader dog tag with my last name on it, and the key to my 4Runner on a small split-ring. That's it.

Generally clipped to to the inside of my left pocket.
    no house key?

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Here is how I carry my keys. Simple key ring for the car keys and a JRC leather key holder for the rest. They all go in my pocket.
    I've looked at key holders like that, but they only work for flat keys. Two of the four I carry aren't flat.

I'm really wondering if I should just leave the car key off the shared ring altogether. The rest would be quite compact without it.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I never keep my vehicle key attached to anything else. Besides the extra weight can be hard on the ignition lock, I dont want to give away anything extra if my ride gets appropriated somehow. Keeping the door remote separate also ensures i wont lock the keys in the truck. A spare non-chipped key also helps in that regard.

Main keys on a pair of rings with a large blanket pin fob in the pocket, truck key in vest pocket or same pants pocket if no vest. Remote on a cord around my neck under my shirt.
    The two vehicles that used chipped keys only have external key locks on the driver's door, something else I loathe.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    All of my vehicle keys are on their own dedicated ring, along with remote if applicable. I have a hook rack that holds them, and I just take the correct one for whatever I'm going to drive.

Then I have a Fosters leather coin sap with house key and alarm remote.

Then I have my work key ring, with a total of 6 keys counting the handcuff key and a remote.
    I kept separate rings for a while, but since I sometimes let my wife drive, I had to do the keyring shuffle.

That said, that may be the only solution here. I could leave the truck key home most of the time as that's a special-use or spare vehicle, but it's also the thinnest key of the bunch.

Chris

When I was married I had a separate set of keys for each vehicle made for her, she didnt need mine. Its a good idea to have a spare chipped key where someone can lay hands on it easily in case the primary fails or is lost or locked inside. I locked myself out a few times in very inconvenient places, then started getting spare keys made as soon as I drove off the lot with the new to me vehicle and always kept spares on me, and a spare set at home a neighbor could get in case of disaster. I keep a spare unchipped key on me in case of a brainfade lockout or to give to someone riding with me to get in the vehicle in case a bear eats me or whatever.

I hate that the passenger side doesnt have a keylock. On the drivers door and the rear hatch door are it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I kept separate rings for a while, but since I sometimes let my wife drive, I had to do the keyring shuffle.
    You don't have two keys per vehicle?

Make several copies of your house key, put a house key with each set of car keys, you're good to go.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List