Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cardio Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    AFAIK the hook is its a total (most) body smoker in short workouts.
    So the wife is balking at any kind of bike with the arm movement. She has visions of finding spin-class type apps or videos to use on a traditional, legs only, type bike. She’s also concerned that if she wants to get on and just ride while watching a movie or show that the arm movement factor will make that impossible due to extra body movement. She’s way more fit than me (she does orange theory 3-5 days a week) so she’s the resident expert.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    She’s also concerned that if she wants to get on and just ride while watching a movie or show that the arm movement factor will make that impossible due to extra body movement.
    I was concerned about that as well, but for what it's worth, that hasn't been my experience. Once you internalize the motion, your brain will inevitably check out. Even a complex repetitive motion is still a repetitive motion.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Has anyone here had a chance to give the Concept2 BikeErg a spin yet? If I were in the market I think that's the one I'd probably be looking at.

(I used to enjoy the AirDyne back in the day when we had one in our agency gym, and I don't have enough space to allocate for the Concept2 rower though I enjoy rowing.)
    Last edited by blues; 03-11-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So the wife is balking at any kind of bike with the arm movement. She has visions of finding spin-class type apps or videos to use on a traditional, legs only, type bike. She’s also concerned that if she wants to get on and just ride while watching a movie or show that the arm movement factor will make that impossible due to extra body movement. She’s way more fit than me (she does orange theory 3-5 days a week) so she’s the resident expert.
    Yeah, wouldn't be my pick for cycling while watching a movie. IMO it's best suited for shorter "blood in the mouth" intervals.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (I used to enjoy the AirDyne back in the day when we had one in our agency gym, and I don't have enough space to allocate for the Concept2 rower though I enjoy rowing.)
    When the rower is folded up, the footprint is quite a bit smaller than a stationary bike. Being able to do that is what sealed the deal for us getting one.

Name:  Concept2-Model-D-upright-msgn6dz7ga8cuclzdqvxsz07idx1v9eax7sn90dfzg.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  18.1 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

+1 for rowing.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I like the rowers and the air bikes. This little gem however, is the nastiest machine-based workout that I’ve ever had. It doesn’t look like much but, well..... just try 20 min on one to see what it’s all about. http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com/...ardio-machine/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    And I thought the Concept2 was expensive!
    I love to hate the Jacobs Ladder, but price and space have kept me from owning one. I love using the one at the gym, but for home, I'd go for the Concept II.

I absolutely get that some people are location limited, but I think the absolute best cardio equipment is a pair of shoes and a place to hike. Bonus points if you can bring a dog and long gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The current hot setup for spin classes at home seems to be Peloton, but the hardware is expensive. https://www.onepeloton.com/
    I have no experience with spin class apps. I've been using Zwift and some of the video apps on a standard bike with a smart trainer. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/...pps-guide.html
    If you already have a bike, smart trainers are $500 and up. For video I just use an iPad driving a monitor or an old TV.

User Tag List