Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cardio Equipment

We picked up a used Schwin spin bike off of E-Bay. Have had it about three months and have been very happy with it. "Used" seems to be limited to cosmetics and appearance.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Pretty hard to go wrong with a rower or airdyne/assault. I have both and they are pretty bombproof, not to mention evil. It's pretty fun to look at your ranking with the rower and see yourself 7th from the bottom to some dude half way around the world. Add a KB/DB or two and some calisthenics and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Since you like bikes, have you considered an AirDyne? Several rounds of HIIT with an AirDyne will smoke you! Just a thought.
    +1 Air bikes for the win! Concept 2 rowers are awesome too. I'd put them 2nd.

With the Airdyne or other quality air bike, you may re-think your concepts of cardio. A four minute Tabata 20 sec sprint/10 second light is a smoker.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If you can, wait until around April or May before buying. The resolve behind a lot of New Year's resolutions will have faded and people are looking to part ways with their good ideas. There's a ton of mothballed equipment out there so it doesn't hurt to post a wanted to buy add on Craiglists.

Airbikes and Rowers are pretty serious machines, most people don't stick with them long term. A decent used Airdyne can be found for $150 or less. I definitely would buy a used one before dropping big bucks on an Assault or Concept bike, or a rower.

Have you thought about an incline treadmill? The Nordictrac branded ones are crap. A I regular treadmill at 10-15 degrees, at 3.5+mph, for an hour is nothing to scoff at. Not every exercise needs to be an exercise in "the best" workout, just walking is good exercise. I wouldn't recommend running on a treadmill at home unless you have enough space to get safely ejected and not hit a wall or fall back on the belt.

I found our Airdyne at a Play it Again Sports. Literally like out of the box new condition for $150.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This thread is timely. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a used Schwinn 170 as I’ve read good things about them.
    https://www.schwinnfitness.com/170/100513.html

What’s the big plus on the airdyne-type bike? The fact that they are both arms and legs?

Quality is unknown but Titan Fitness just released a bike and rower for pricing that almost makes it worth a shot.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    There are a lot of rower enthusiasts in this thread apparently, so I figured I'd ask here, rather than start a new thread. We picked up a Concept2 Rower, and it's totes amazeballs. We've had it for just over a week, and I've lost almost three pounds.

There is a scooch more technique involved than I would have imagined however, and my mid-back is not happy with me. I'm sure part of the issue is conditioning, as a recumbent bike doesn't work much above the hips, but I'm pretty sure my form on the rower is wrong somehow.

I've watched numerous videos, and have attempted to modify my technique accordingly, but have thus far failed to exercise without irritating my mid-back. What's y'all's experience with this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I use a set of cheap wireless headphones when watching TV while rowing.
    What sort of headphones do you use? Does it plug into the TV, or an auxiliary sound system?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This thread is timely. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a used Schwinn 170 as I’ve read good things about them.
    https://www.schwinnfitness.com/170/100513.html

What’s the big plus on the airdyne-type bike? The fact that they are both arms and legs?
    AFAIK the hook is its a total (most) body smoker in short workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

There is a scooch more technique involved than I would have imagined however, and my mid-back is not happy with me. I'm sure part of the issue is conditioning, as a recumbent bike doesn't work much above the hips, but I'm pretty sure my form on the rower is wrong somehow.

I've watched numerous videos, and have attempted to modify my technique accordingly, but have thus far failed to exercise without irritating my mid-back. What's y'all's experience with this issue?
    If you are irritating your mid back I bet you are rounding forward at the front of the stroke. Focus on all of the movement from your hips while keeping a straight back. You may have to shorten your stroke up some to avoid rounding. One thing to consider would be trying to row with a straight vertical back that you keep stationary. Your times will be slower due to the shorter stroke length but cardio impact shouldn’t be impacted much.

I got a concept two five months ago and I love it. Hell of a workout. I was a runner for about ten years and decided to change things up.

User Tag List