Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cardio Equipment

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Since you like bikes, have you considered an AirDyne? Several rounds of HIIT with an AirDyne will smoke you! Just a thought.
    Heard about them, but never tried one. How does that compare to a rowing workout in terms of muscle groups used? It definitely takes up less space than a rower.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    While they've not been particularly popular recently, I'm still using the same Nordic Track ski machine I bought in the late 1980's.
    I used a NoricTrack for years, back when I actually cared what kind of shape I was in. Great workout, but it does require some balance and coordination, which would probably be enough to dissuade my SO from frequent usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    We have a Concept rower and Assault Bike at home.
    Now you're just bragging.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Hammertime
    I got a Concept 2 a few years ago and like it but have not used it nearly as much as I thought I would. Rowing is soul crushingly boring, and my ass hurts after 20 minutes.

A TV or something would help the boredom, but I don't know what to do about my butt pain.

They are durable and keep their value so if you spend $1000 on one you will get most back at resale if you decide it isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I used a NoricTrack for years, back when I actually cared what kind of shape I was in. Great workout, but it does require some balance and coordination, which would probably be enough to dissuade my SO from frequent usage.
    The other downside, while not really difficult, adjusting it to different size people and with different fitness levels, is not really convenient, and has really kept my wife and kids from embracing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I got a Concept 2 a few years ago and like it but have not used it nearly as much as I thought I would. Rowing is soul crushingly boring, and my ass hurts after 20 minutes.

A TV or something would help the boredom, but I don't know what to do about my butt pain.

They are durable and keep their value so if you spend $1000 on one you will get most back at resale if you decide it isn't for you.
    Two words: ass pad. Really, the cheapo foam one that comes with it has been enough for me. I must be weird, but I don't want to be entertained while working out. Watching the meters pile up and sweating are enough.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Two words: ass pad. Really, the cheapo foam one that comes with it has been enough for me. I must be weird, but I don't want to be entertained while working out. Watching the meters pile up and sweating are enough.
    Same here. No music while (I used to) run, row or cycle...and definitely none when lifting. I prefer to concentrate on the task at hand.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The Airdyne/Assault bike is well suited for heart rate training while watching TV and reading forums, as long as you have a set of headphones. I have trained using the stairmaster, versaclimber, concept2, recumbent and spin bikes, high inclined treadmill... the Airdyne is the one machine that I can use steadily for an hour or more session without either getting smoked or the exercise getting tedious. If I was planning to row for more than 40 minutes I'd be concerned about not being able to keep good form, especially if I'm trying to focus on a video while exercising.

I have an old 20+ years Versa Climber and a Concept 2. Both are very good.

Dan John's 10.000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge Program still is very good for strength/endurance.

Also have a Nordic Trak Pro from 1982 another good unit.
    Last edited by 1slow; 02-24-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I have an old 20+ years Versa Climber and a Concept 2. Both are very good.

Dan John's 10.000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge Program still is very good for strength/endurance.
    I used to use the Versa Climber at the Miami-Dade Police gym back in the day. I was just telling my wife the other day that I used to get a good workout on it. The one they had was one of the multi-station versions.

I recently saw a commercial on TV with a piece of equipment that looks like it's based on the old Versa Climber.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

If you want to add a dimension to the Concept 2 rower: https://zwiftinsider.com/rowing-on-zwift/
    For the bike: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/a...t2-BikeErg-PM5

I've been using a bike on a smart trainer with Zwift and some of the video training programs. Zwift is essentially a massive multiplayer game where you ride with or against other folks in a virtual world. There are group rides, races, and group workouts, or you just ride. I find it hard to go for an easy ride -- people start passing me, and I look at my wattage number and try to bring it up. Some of the group workouts have been excellent.

There are also several programs that use video of real routes. I climbed the Stelvio pass(48 hairpins, nice views) in Italy last week....

The smart trainer varies the resistance to match what's on the screen -- uphills get harder.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/...pps-guide.html
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...endations.html

These are all aimed at cyclists who want something to do indoors.

For those who like spinning classes, there's the Peloton exercise bike with streamed classes. https://www.onepeloton.com
    Last edited by peterb; 02-24-2018 at 04:02 AM.

If you can, wait until around April or May before buying. The resolve behind a lot of New Year's resolutions will have faded and people are looking to part ways with their good ideas. There's a ton of mothballed equipment out there so it doesn't hurt to post a wanted to buy add on Craiglists.

Airbikes and Rowers are pretty serious machines, most people don't stick with them long term. A decent used Airdyne can be found for $150 or less. I definitely would buy a used one before dropping big bucks on an Assault or Concept bike, or a rower.

Have you thought about an incline treadmill? The Nordictrac branded ones are crap. A regular treadmill at 10-15 degrees, at 3.5+mph, for an hour is nothing to scoff at. Not every exercise needs to be an exercise in "the best" workout, just walking is good exercise. I wouldn't recommend running on a treadmill at home unless you have enough space to get safely ejected and not hit a wall or fall back on the belt.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List