Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cardio Equipment

Site Supporter
    I'm beginning the train up for a BJJ competition coming up sooner than I thought. I've found good ol fashioned pavement pounding to be highly adequate but I am following this thread with interest.

Can't ever really have too much cardiovascular fitness, physical strength or agility.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The current hot setup for spin classes at home seems to be Peloton, but the hardware is expensive. https://www.onepeloton.com/
    I’m pretty sure that it’s only the hot setup because their marketing says it is. I started to fall into that trap and then did some additional research. Peloton is a bad idea.

Peloton also has a subscription app that allows you to view various spin classes and use your own bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

There is a scooch more technique involved than I would have imagined however, and my mid-back is not happy with me. I'm sure part of the issue is conditioning, as a recumbent bike doesn't work much above the hips, but I'm pretty sure my form on the rower is wrong somehow.
    Think drive, not row. Rowing is a misnomer on an erg.

Rowing and olympic weight lifting have a lot in common, you're lower body is generating force and building momentum, and you're upper body is just a connection point and directing that momentum somewhere. If you're trying to row an erg like you row a barbell you're going to have problems.

When you drive on row, try to conceptualize it as a clean high pull. You want to have similar form to pulling a clean. Chin tucked, shoulder blades down and tucked, arms straight, lats engaged by bending the handle in half, belly breath to brace the abs. That's not a good position to have a big row from, but it's a good position to transfer power from your legs into the machine. Now drive with your legs and glutes to the finish, don't row at the end, just use the momentum that's already there to bring the handle to your torso. You don't want to drive so hard that your feet are leaving the pedals, but the mechanics of it should be the same as if you're going for triple extension on a clean. Then go through the recovery and set yourself up in the next catch to drive again. The goal should always be to have a powerful drive at the start of the movement not a row at the end.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

Then go through the recovery and set yourself up in the next catch to drive again. The goal should always be to have a powerful drive at the start of the movement not a row at the end.
    I’m just self taught on the erg but have spent a little time at a rowing studio and my wife has spent a lot of time there but for me to get max speed I have to give it a hard row at the end. Anything under max effort I can get by without the row. The row shaved the last few seconds from my 500. I could be totally off here just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’m just self taught on the erg but have spent a little time at a rowing studio and my wife has spent a lot of time there but for me to get max speed I have to give it a hard row at the end. Anything under max effort I can get by without the row. The row shaved the last few seconds from my 500. I could be totally off here just my experience.
    Anything goes on a 500 as long as it works. If you divide however many seconds you dropped up by the total number of strokes, the hard rowing at the end of the drive might not even drop a tenth of a second per stroke. On a 500 max effort that's ok, on the tamer stuff that's a lot of work for very little return.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Anything goes on a 500 as long as it works. If you divide however many seconds you dropped up by the total number of strokes, the hard rowing at the end of the drive might not even drop a tenth of a second per stroke. On a 500 max effort that's ok, on the tamer stuff that's a lot of work for very little return.
    I agree with this completely. Actual impact per stroke is pretty small but cumulatively I’m shaving 5-10 seconds off the 500 time. I wouldn’t want to try it on a 2k though.

I couldn't take it anymore. Bad enough that I've hated my brother-in-law for years for owning a C2 rower...now you guys.

Just ordered one. (I've always enjoyed rowing and I think it will be the best overall metcon complement for weight training.)

FWIW, I placed the order directly with C2 and they gave $50 off for LE (even retired). Worth calling and checking to see if your employment or prior employment qualifies as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    She has visions of finding spin-class type apps or videos to use on a traditional, legs only, type bike.
    My wife has the same plan, neither one of us has exactly been executing yet, but we did buy this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and I am pleased how well it was built for something we just cheaped out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm using a set of these that I had lying around, which are (or are similar to) the headphones used with in-car DVD players.
    I think the TV I'm using now does bluetooth, so I'd probably pickup any of the inexpensive bluetooth headphones that are now available if I had to start over.
    This would also be helpful when running the Dillon, the 550 was quiet, the case feed on the 650 is noisy at right at head level.

Site Supporter
    Anybody have a versa climber? More of a gym piece than a home piece of equipment but I never forgot how it kicked my ass over twenty years ago.

User Tag List