Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cardio Equipment

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

RFI: Cardio Equipment

My recumbent stationary bike is officially kaput. After jury-rigging it every which way I can think of it, it's finally beyond repair. I'm in the market for new cardio equipment.

A recumbent stationary bike has been my go-to for what my present self considers exercise, primarily because it's mindless: I can plop the thing down in front of the TV and watch whatever while I'm technically still exercising. So while another bike is a possibility, I'm open to other options.

I'm considering a rowing machine just because it's more of a full body exercise than a bike. I'm not big on ellipticals, but I haven't tried one in years, so maybe there are better options around these days.

I'm prepared to spend upwards of $1000 it it's something that will last.

Suggestions?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Concept 2 rower is a great choice. You can get one to your house for $945 with amazon prime.

You can do an LSD type cardio workout or you can smoke yourself in a few sprints. The tracking with the Pm5 module is really cool.

The only thing I don’t like is it’s noisy enough to make watching Tv a pain or working out at odd times when the kids are asleep.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Since you like bikes, have you considered an AirDyne? Several rounds of HIIT with an AirDyne will smoke you! Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Since you like bikes, have you considered an AirDyne? Several rounds of HIIT with an AirDyne will smoke you! Just a thought.
    And Concept2 now has a new bikeerg if that's to your liking.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I love my concept2 rower. I use a set of cheap wireless headphones when watching TV while rowing.
    I bought the little smart phone holder that fits on the Pm5, and use wireless earbuds to watch shows on my phone.
    --Josh

While they've not been particularly popular recently, I'm still using the same Nordic Track ski machine I bought in the late 1980's. While the cord from the workout computer probably needs replacement, I haven't replaced anything on the machine in all that time.

Admittedly, there have been several periods of low use during those years, but it has been amazingly durable over an extended period of sustained use.

https://www.nordictrack.com/classic-pro-skier
    Last edited by JTQ; 02-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And Concept2 now has a new bikeerg if that's to your liking.
    That looks pretty cool, actually.
    --Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    My recumbent stationary bike is officially kaput. After jury-rigging it every which way I can think of it, it's finally beyond repair. I'm in the market for new cardio equipment.

A recumbent stationary bike has been my go-to for what my present self considers exercise, primarily because it's mindless: I can plop the thing down in front of the TV and watch whatever while I'm technically still exercising. So while another bike is a possibility, I'm open to other options.

I'm considering a rowing machine just because it's more of a full body exercise than a bike. I'm not big on ellipticals, but I haven't tried one in years, so maybe there are better options around these days.

I'm prepared to spend upwards of $1000 it it's something that will last.

Suggestions?
    I'm not trying to promote the website but there is one called promotive, you can apply for it. For LEO/Mil and even other different industry professionals they offer discounts. One of the discounts is on the Spinning bikes. They are stationary like what you would see in a gym for spin classes. Some of them are very well discounted. PM me if you want the particulars. I've been looking at them but can't find a lot of information about the Spin brand.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    That looks pretty cool, actually.
    Yeah, if I wasn't trying to convince myself that metcon with kettlebells is "good enough" for now, I'd probably be leaning that way. And I may yet. (Though I've always loved rowing.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We have a Concept rower and Assault Bike at home. I’m typing this while doing easy intervals on the Assault Bike. Both can go easy and mindless or soul crushing hard. Both have lots of programming and benchmarks out there thanks to CrossFit. Either would work, the AB takes up less space while usable but the concept can stand up and take very little space. We replaced a recumbent bike wth the AB and have been happy, it can do the easy like the recumbent but adds a high intensity component that couldn’t be matched.
    Last edited by Bratch; 02-23-2018 at 04:02 PM.

User Tag List