Thread: Week 257: 10-8 Pistol Test

Week 257: 10-8 Pistol Test

Results may be posted until March 23rd, 2018.

Designed by: Hilton Yam
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Silhouette with 8" body circle and 6x6" head box
    Start Position: Concealed holster with hands at sides or retention duty holster from interview position
    Rounds Fired: 65

Shots outside the 8" circle (body shots) and 6x6" head box (head shots) count as misses. Pick a par time (5, 6.5, or 8 sec) to use on all 12 strings of fire.

String 1: On the buzzer, draw from the holster and fire 4 shots to the body then 1 shot to the head, strong hand only

String 2: On the buzzer, from a high two-hand ready, transfer the pistol to the support hand then fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head, WHO

String 3: On the buzzer from a high ready with an EMPTY chamber; rack slide to chamber a round using the strong hand only, then fire 4 head shots all SHO

String 4: On the buzzer from a high ready with an EMPTY chamber; rack slide to chamber a round using the weak hand only, then fire 4 body shots followed by 1 head shot all WHO

String 5: Start with the pistol aimed at the target, slide locked open, empty mag, SHO; on the buzzer reload SHO and fire 1 shot to the body

String 6: On the buzzer, from the holster, draw and fire 7 shots to the body and 1 to the head

String 7: Start with 7 rounds loaded in the pistol; on the buzzer draw from the holster and fire 7 shots to the body, reload from slide lock and shoot 1 to the head

String 8: On the buzzer draw from the holster and fire 8 shots to the head

String 9: Start with 3 rounds loaded in the pistol; on the buzzer from a high ready, fire 2 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head, reload from slide lock and repeat the 3 shots

String 10: Start with 2 rounds loaded in the pistol; on the buzzer draw from the holster and fire 1 shot to the body and 1 shot to the head, reload from slide lock and repeat the 2 shots

String 11: Start with 4 rounds loaded in the pistol; on the buzzer from a high ready, fire 4 shots to the body, reload from slide lock and then fire 4 shots to the head

String 12: Start with 1 round loaded in the pistol and 2 additional mags with 1 rd each; on the buzzer draw from the holster and fire 1 shot to the body, reload from slide lock and repeat twice

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (concealed or duty retention holster)
    PAR time selected
    Total number of hits within the PAR time
    Anything you noticed

Video of Jason Falla running the 10-8 Pistol Test:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I shot this twice today. Both runs were using the same equipment, at a 6.5 sec par time on an Ipsc Target from 7 yards.

Equipment:
    - ALS 7TS holster on a high-ride single strap shroud on my work belt. Reloads were from either an Esstac belt pouch on my offside, or a safariland horizontal pouch up front.

- Glock 17.4, cut-down beavertail blackstrap, Trijicon HD-XR sights.

- I was lazy and it was hot today, so I didn’t wear armor like Mr Falla.

Run 1:
    59/65

Notes: My first string I threw the headshot just above the box trying to rush when I still had 3+ seconds to spare. The rest of my misses were when shooting WHO.

Run 2:

61/65

On the 2nd string, I threw 3 body shots WHO into the C zone. Somewhere along the way, I decided to slow down on a head shot, and broke the shot .2 after the par time.

Overall notes:

In general when I break down all the two handed stages, I can consistently stay below a 5 second par. When it came to the SHO/WHO, I started falling apart. I spent the last few months transitioning to a 1911, but had to switch back to the Glock due to gun issues. I haven’t spent much time dry-firing since I switched back which was really evident when looking at my one handed shooting today.

Overall, I think the 10-8 test is a cool overall evaluation, and specifically to my WHO shooting it was the wake-up call I needed to dedicate more time to practicing this awful trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BK14; 03-09-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Shot today at close of business, indoor range, Gen5/17. Target was a “negative” IPSC(center scoring cut out).
    Holster gear: Safariland Level 3 on a “UFA”(flex adapter w/paddle and single leg strap);5th17 has Ameriglo yellow front night sight.
    Time set at 8 seconds. Right out of the gate, SHO, pushed one a little left. Had one shot later @8.01 when I hit the slide stop early and had an empty chamber “click”-tap, rack, rock on...
    Had tried this a couple of days earlier @6.5 secs., which was not satisfactory(58/65), at least one string OT. So, backed up to 8 seconds
    and was in the high 5s/6s.
    Noticed: lot of loads, but I like the one handed loading, and the one handed shooting. I’ll give this a go again for clean and a lower par.

Took another run, as it were, indoor range, G17/5 out of Level 3 rig. Set to 8 sec.par, as I wanted to shoot clean, or close.
    64/65 under par. My support hand empty load needs work! Admittedly, an esoteric skill, but one doesn’t want to be the exception. Two rounds barely out to right; one with shooting hand only, one support. So, if you leave those out of the equation, 62/65. Again, seems like a lot of loading, but the shooting and support hand strings are good things. Also was glad to be shown work needed on empty chamber support hand load. Good drill/practice and will put this in rotation. Thanks to Mr. White and Mr. Yam of 10-8.

User Tag List